Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Diversity or Tracking

Diversity or Tracking

Hello,

I'm getting ready to order a long range 1.3 GHz system and I am wondering which is a better way to go; Diversity or Tracking?

I fly in Northwest Pennsylvania/Northeast Ohio. The terrain is hilly but not mountainous with a lot of trees away from the field.

I will be using an Eagletree Vector in an airplane.

Not looking for super range probably just a few miles.

Thanks,
    John

Start simple with either 2 Circular polarized omni antennas or A pepperbox antenna.I you fly mostly out in front of you the pepperbox is great.I have personally picked up someone elses video signal over 20miles away.
    Most of the money I made this year I spent on FPV,the rest I just wasted.

With 1.3GHz and omni's you can go miles depending on installation and the power output. 400mW Clover to SPW will do 5 miles according to the calculator and with 800mW and a pepperbox do 30mi. You really don't need need diversity or a tracker for what you are suggesting. My experience has been that I can get the range the calculator predicts.

http://www.maxmyrange.com/
    KF7SKL,TechPod/Walrus/250mmQuad/HoneyBadger, EZUHF,SL-AAT, 1G3/2G4/5G8

The answer is neither. Get the readymaderc tuned 1.3g patch, the upgraded vRx, and use the flexible antenna (that comes with the vRx) on the vtx. You will be amazed at the range you'll get without spending anything more.

I know in my area cloverleafs wouldnt give me much range, a mile was lucky, a simple switch to an optimized patch and a V on the plane made my video range farther than I can fly the plane (over 5mi so far)

Quote Originally Posted by Stringer View Post
    The answer is neither. Get the readymaderc tuned 1.3g patch, the upgraded vRx, and use the flexible antenna (that comes with the vRx) on the vtx. You will be amazed at the range you'll get without spending anything more.
    Once you go CP, you won't want to go back.

Quote Originally Posted by golgotha View Post
    lol, thats what I started with, I dont want to go back to it. Although I have been looking at that pepperbox...

I only fly multirotors so my maximum distance is only around 3 miles. With a 1.3 clover, crosshair and 400W, I have perfect video.

Well, If you aren't worried about going super far, diversity is more simple. Pepperbox and an omni with the Eagle Tree Eagles Eyes for diversity control would do very well for you. And if you decide to upgrade to longer ranges, the Eagle eyes can control the tracking duties. My tracker with my 2 vector equipped aircraft actually works really well. I have a bunch of flights using the tracker and it works awesome!
    Ritewing Zehyr II and UThere Ruby
    CineTank MK2 Long Arm and Eagle Tree Vector
    ZMR250 and Naze32/Raiju 155
    OpenLRS all the way!
    EMAXX 6x6 ground rig

Diversity or Tracking

Quote Originally Posted by golgotha View Post
    I fly proximity with minis and CP is just a world of hurt and pain in the pocket. Imagine how big these 1.3g antennas in relation to the minis, and how they stick out. A single upside down crash in a parking garage would kill a good CP antenna. Now, that's not a problem with linear. A good flexible LP antenna is just under $5 and lasts many crashes.

But I also fly long range planes, with my current PB of 30km out and back. Why does anyone go for CP vs LP? Multipath rejection. There's practically no multipathing on 1.3g when your plane is 1km up and many km out with clear line of sight. All you need is a well tuned dipole on the vtx and a matching biquad on the ground.

With LP, almost all other signal on similar frequency is rejected except those close to its polarization. With CP, everything is accepted, both CP and LP noise (minus 3db).
    Last edited by Stringer; 11th January 2015 at 12:04 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast