FPVLAB

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Traveling with a Drone: Share your experience

On my way to Canada I was told (contacted airport security through email first) to bring my batteries only in carry-on luggage and have no more than 2 batteries per person. As I was traveling with my wife and 4 kids I wasn't short on batteries
    If you're a noob, copy 1:1 what somebody already flies without too much questions, you'll find the answers later.
    PatrikE: I don't see anything wrong in your dump...
    Derrick:
    you are flying it LOS... You are doing it wrong.

Well, yes and no. There is no limitations for LiPo batteries below 100 Watt hour but there is a limitation of 2 spare LiPo when they are between 100 and 160 watt hour.
    Here is how you can calculate the Watt hour:
    http://fpvlab.com/forums/showthread....l=1#post630334

I'm certified to ship dangerous goods and all that comes from international regulation IATA section 2.3.5.9 which has been transposed in local regulation in most countries. That being said some countries and carriers (airlines, freight company) may be more restrictive than the international regulation.
    IATA release a the dangerous goods bible every year with all the information. It's dry, boring and hard to comply with but everything is in there.

As for Canada, check the canadian TSA equivalent website. Always print the local instructions of the country, it will help l with ignorant security agents
    http://www.catsa.gc.ca/guidelines-batteries

Source: me, dangerous goods training and practive, 200k+ miles of international traveling per year
    Last edited by Oliver Miami; 5th January 2015 at 09:16 PM.

Australia: Follow the IATA form, lipo's in carry on ONLY, insulate battery contacts, individual batts in sandwich bags, battery safe bag is a good idea, printed forms and all was good, AU customs are VERY aware of safety requirements and will act accordingly. Due to this incident last year Click image for larger version. 

Name:	763857-9a3199ac-5e45-11e4-9c68-d403f5dcc36d.jpg 
Views:	75 
Size:	44.4 KB 
ID:	56767

Bali: Didn't even stop the belt when the lipo's went through in hand luggage...
    Man must rise above the Earth—to the top of the atmosphere and beyond—for only thus will he fully understand the world in which he lives.
    — Socrates

Yes, Lipo and other batterie incidents are not a joke. It's real and I personally NEVER put any LiPo in my checked bag even if this is allowed by regulation. You can manage a LiPo fire in the cabin, it's just a matter of cooling the LiPo but don't use ice. Neutral liquid are good for that (water, soda, NOT alcohol)

Check this list of incident
    http://www.faa.gov/about/office_org/...dent_chart.pdf

Even a cargo B747 crashed recently because of that
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UPS_Airlines_Flight_6

Tks for the info about Australia, I've updated the first post.

Damn good idea for a thread. Thanks Oliver!
    -Chris
    www.youtube.com/user/criccio

Quote Originally Posted by Zeeflyboy View Post
    If it all ends badly this time, I'm quitting FPV and RC and taking up golf.

Quote Originally Posted by seancan44 View Post
    Seriously!! I can't believe they let you take a pic of the Xray machine. LOL. I've pulled my phone out in the security line before and been threatened to confiscate it!!

I have been good to go at all U.S. locations with the TBS and LiPo's, but they usually stop me, so make sure you plan some extra time into your itinerary for the drug/explosive material screening. I've even gotten the pat down before b/c of it. Also, holidays are a really busy time and depending on the airport they may be extra diligent (small airports and a choice few larger ones too like MSP). I fly out of ATL often and almost NEVER get a second glance.
    They were pissed I took the photo but whatever. TSA is a joke.

Thanks Oliver, a very useful info here!
    If you're a noob, copy 1:1 what somebody already flies without too much questions, you'll find the answers later.
    PatrikE: I don't see anything wrong in your dump...
    Derrick:
    you are flying it LOS... You are doing it wrong.

Co-Pilot
    No problems bringing multirotors and batteries into NZ. I had a visitor from Denmark this week who bought his 250-sized miniquad in with him and a handful of lipos.

Great post Oli. Where is your Bali footage - or actually the HK stuff??

My experience so far has been similar in some of those countries (always letting you in). I always travel with my Lipos in TBS bags with their IATA info on the bags. I tape up the batteries at the charge and balance plugs and I bring a print out of the rules and predo the calculations on a sheet to get the discussion over quickly if they start to want to calculate Wh per battery. It has never come to that discussion.

Interesting point you make on the Lipos and ice - how come water is ok but ice is bad?

Cathay Pacific will only allow 20 max Lipos each below 100Wh as opposed to the unlimited that i think are the international guidelines.

Hi Disco,

Can't sleep, very pissed by what happened in France today... I'm going to finish my best of 2014 video during the night.

As for 20 max Lipo, I think that this is already a fair number and If I remember well the IATA regulation say something like "no restriction as long as it's for personnal use". So I think that you can not board with 200 lipo neither !!!

As for ice, the FAA states:
    "WARNING: Do not cover the device or use ice to cool the device. Ice or other materials insulate the device, increasing the likelihood that additional battery cells will reach thermal runaway."

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast