VideoAerialSystems

Page 3 of 70 FirstFirst 123451353 ... LastLast

Thread: General Inquiry/FAQ thread

Hmmm.... that explains why when Derek got lost at my site and had to land at the soccer field he still had video. Makes sense.
    "I Like Waffles" : FPVLab on Facebook and FPVLab on Twitter

unplugged
    @IBCRAZY
    I have uploaded this video in the loong distance flights and have a question?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B8fIgpI1mWk

Is the 10.5kilometers reached so far the limit of what I can expect with my current antenna setup?
    2.4ghz 500mw lawmate vtx/vrx with a cloverleaf on the plane and a 9.5dbi helical on the ground.
    If not, do you have any suggestions to further my distance. If so, is there an antenna suggestion to increase range?
    any input would be appreciated.

BTW your antennas are absolutely awesome. . . I get to "cheat" LOS behind trees and buildings all of the time with clear video within 3-5 kilometers!!!

Danub, what LRS were you using?

unplugged
    right now i'm using a dragon link.

Engineer for Jesus Christ IBCrazy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Danub View Post
    @IBCRAZY
    I have uploaded this video in the loong distance flights and have a question?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B8fIgpI1mWk

Is the 10.5kilometers reached so far the limit of what I can expect with my current antenna setup?
    2.4ghz 500mw lawmate vtx/vrx with a cloverleaf on the plane and a 9.5dbi helical on the ground.
    If not, do you have any suggestions to further my distance. If so, is there an antenna suggestion to increase range?
    any input would be appreciated.

BTW your antennas are absolutely awesome. . . I get to "cheat" LOS behind trees and buildings all of the time with clear video within 3-5 kilometers!!!
    You should be able to go twice that distance if you have a low noise floor. It could be the noise floor that's causing the range reduction (although it appears your range is pretty good). I am working on a 12dbic Helix that should be coming out in a couple of months. this will only be available in 2.4 and 5.8GHz.

-Alex
    If it is broken, fix it. if it isn't broken, I'll soon fix that.

videoaerialsystems.com - Performance video piloting

unplugged
    @IBCrazy On my 10km flight I rode my bike 3 miles up the mtn. I believe the noise floor was generally low there however @7-9km there seemed to be an increase in noise. I was going over the oil fields guess thats the noise?

But the challenge I am trying to over come is in this video. I keep trying to get to a few mtn. peaks and cliff faces that are 8-10km away and repeatedly as i get close video gets crazy!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UTncK19TErs

I have also tried a 19dbi 2.4 patch that i have and multipathing seems worse? (sorry no video for that)
    Should I look towards yagi or higher gain helical?
    lookin to get close to these mountain faces and there are the islands teasing me 15 miles off the coast. . . any advice on how to get there would be appreciated.
    Last edited by Danub; 6th June 2011 at 01:40 AM. Reason: im an idiot

Let your perspective soar
    Quote Originally Posted by IBCrazy View Post
    I am working on a 12dbic Helix that should be coming out in a couple of months. this will only be available in 2.4 and 5.8GHz.
    (wipes drool off keyboard...)

Looking forward to it Alex!
    Last edited by jimmaplesong; 6th June 2011 at 09:41 AM.

I've got a 6 turn 2.4 VAS helical - if a 5 turn is 9.5 db (per Danub) shouldn't mine be more? I guessed it was around 10?? Oh - Danub - there could be comm towers on those peaks (or rf from who knows where popping over the top of them).
    "I Like Waffles" : FPVLab on Facebook and FPVLab on Twitter

Engineer for Jesus Christ IBCrazy's Avatar
    Doubling the number of turns results in 3db more gain. Thus your 6 turn is about 10dbic.

Technically the gain of the helical is 2-3db higher than what I'm claiming. However I find that the values given by calculators are far higher than real life values. Thus the gains reported are an empirical estimate. Admittedly, I'm erring on the conservative side. They're probably 1 db higher gain.

-Alex
    If it is broken, fix it. if it isn't broken, I'll soon fix that.

videoaerialsystems.com - Performance video piloting

unplugged
    Alex,
    I am getting ready to try to build my 1st cloverleaf and have been doing some reading. Of course i have a couple of questions
    I was reading your mini how to over there RCG. Then I saw the video that you just posted a few days ago and the wires/elements looked different?
    The one on RCG seemed to be a 2 piece element, one longer wire (1/2 wave i ithin) and one shorter wire (1/4 wavelength + a bit).
    In the video I just watched you soldered 3 elements of unknown length. I'm guessin 1/4 wavelength?
    Which one of these is the proper or easier way to build as this will be my first attempt at building an antenna. Or making a mess either way it should be fun
    Thanks