Thread: Can I use a GPS with my Open Pilot CC3D

Forum Member

Can I use a GPS with my Open Pilot CC3D

Hello everyone, Happy New Year.

So I. Trying to get into fpv racing, but I think I may need some help for the start. My balance is all off, and I can't seem to control my QAV250. I can keep it up longer than 30sec without crashing it. I was thinking to start with a GPS system, and slowly transition into no gps freestyle flying. I heard there's a Open Pilot Revolution w/ integrated V8 GPS system, is this true and if so where can I buy one from? I want to stick with OpenPilot CC3D, just cause I final understand the programming on it.

Can someone help me out?

On another note. Is there a good YouTube clip showing how to fly fpv quads? I mean the joysticks, and how to make it flip etc..

Forum Member
    Rather than gps I would suggest that you simply use a stabilised mode.

Although I have a cc3d it's in my spares box and I haven't even looked at it, you want the equivalent of Angle/Horizon mode.

Forum Member
    I think the problem is that CC3D. Nobody uses them anymore, especially on minis. Use a Naze32. You won't crash as often, the CC3D may be making it harder than it needs to be to fly
    [QUOTE=jimmaplesong;128705]When you're outraged at chatch, please don't quote his bullshit.[/QUOTE]

Forum Member
    Ok you have CC3D and Revo all in the same post, but I think your crossing your words. They are two entirely different controllers. The CC3D supports a GPS sort of, but only for OSD displaying long/lat. you can't use it for alt hold, autonomous flight, etc, however, the Revo does all of the previous. That's a major difference between them.

Now, Open Pilot have just released Minime software (14.10) and it rocks. It is great for mini's! As good as the N32, actually better in some respects as they have a great TPA feature that lets you down scale and upscale above and below half throttle, so it's great for punch out or gliding descents where you need higher PIDs.

Now, I do love my OP boards, but I am also an N32 lover. It is also great for a mini.

I just wanted to clarify the fact that both are options and it may just come down to price, which the N32 will win. You can get them from Hobbyking now and other good retailers. Timecop isn't making them himself any more.

Forum Member

Can I use a GPS with my Open Pilot CC3D

The CC3D is fine for 250 racers and lots of people use them. The newest firmware (14.10) was focused on making 250s fly better.

Since you already have a CC3D, use it as is - there is no need to change controllers; just learn how to make what you already have work well. You don't need the added complexity of GPS and the Revo is overkill for a 250.

The new firmware also introduced cloud (shared) configs which you can select only as the last step of the vehicle setup wizard. There is one for a QAV 250 - choose it.

Use attitude mode to start. Later, switch to rattitude mode which will give you more response as you feed stick input in; when you return the stick to Center, you're back in attitude mode..

Navigator
    I think the question was "can I use a GPS", not do you think I should.

Forum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Catiadr View Post
    I think the question was "can I use a GPS", not do you think I should.
    Which was answered in post #4 back on the 5th of January

QUOTE from post #4

"The CC3D supports a GPS sort of, but only for OSD displaying long/lat. you can't use it for alt hold, autonomous flight, etc"
    [B]4 wheels moving body 2 wheels moving soul
    [/B]