FPVLAB

Page 1 of 65 1231151 ... LastLast

Thread: The Most Amazing Invention Ever For FPV (CAT 6)

The Most Amazing Invention Ever For FPV (CAT 6)

Having gone 16+ out miles on 2.4, I decided that for the most part my personal knowledge development for 2.4gHz is "complete". I come across a few things here and there to test, but basically "I got it" when it comes to 2.4.

One would think that there is very little difference between the frequencies but there is. My main rig can go past 20 miles easily, and my 2.4 link can as well. There (in my mind) is really no point of doing it when I know I can - that kind of makes it boring.

So - I moved to 1.2. With no other changes to my main rig than the vTx - it took me back a few steps on the range test for my UHF system. With the DL OFF and the video system on I saw blips of 5, 10, 20% on my RSSI. 20% "signal" with the DL off was disappointing - LOL - epecially on a rig that can do 20 miles out w/out even breaking a sweat. Unplugging the vTx took RSSI down to 0% (as expected when you don't have the rc tx on). I was NOT amused. I've got some amazing $6 toroids from www.newark.com -- but I decided that since my installs have never required them, I didn't wanna go down that path (ego problem - LOL). Initial plans were to rewire the entire rig. I abandoned that thought and decided just to rewire the hop from the vTx --> OSD.

HOLY SMOKES!!! I now get tired of walking out when I range test my DL. No matter what vTx I use, my DL rx is not affected.

My secret? This : http://www.cablestogo.com/product.as...3523&sku=31201

4 twisted pairs. Each pair is wrapped in it's own shield... then another shield surrounds all the pairs - then covered w/ the sheath. There are many options to wire this up.

This is what I was using before - STD CAT6. Now... this is MUCH better than servo wire - but not "Sentry-spec". I get wild hairs to fly far - and I don't use auto-pilots, so this method was NOT ready for the big show after the move to 1.2

This (below) is what you get with the above link: each pair is twisted, AND each pair has it's own shield. Then ALL the pairs have an additional shield as depicted below.

I don't stop until I have the quietest (electronically) planes on the planet. And you can too. Good luck.
    Last edited by SENTRY; 2nd February 2012 at 09:00 PM.
    "I Like Waffles" : FPVLab on Facebook and FPVLab on Twitter

Are those 26awg wires big enough for your plane or do you need to double up when powering bigger servos?

Quote Originally Posted by Hucker View Post
    Are those 26awg wires big enough for your plane or do you need to double up when powering bigger servos?
    I can't think of a reason to need to wire servos up with this. Eliminate the problem at the source and then your servos will be fine. So just wire the vTx with it. BUT - to answer your question, they are twisted PAIRS right? So feel free to tie a single pair together and use as one bc they will still have 2 grounds surrounding them.

Hammer and Visegrips schnellschnell's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SENTRY View Post
    ...Eliminate the problem at the source and then your servos will be fine.
    That's funny, I read the almost exact same thing just now when reading about grounding on an audio page. The guy wrote: "The 60 Hz base signal also hums at 120 Hz, 240 Hz, and up the band. That's why filters don't do a good job removing hum... you have to fix it at the source". [my bolding]

Interesting that all this stuff has been done before, for different reasons.

My question - do you attach the shield TO a ground wire, or IS the shield the ground wire and is it then connected to all devices using the internal conductors?

j

Quote Originally Posted by schnellschnell View Post
    My question - do you attach the shield TO a ground wire, or IS the shield the ground wire and is it then connected to all devices using the internal conductors?

j
    This is where you come in - and why i said that there are many was to wire this up.

a) each wire is in a pair. Since it's twisted, you could use the 2nd wire in each pair as a ground - tie those together and that to a ground (on 1 end only) or to the shield.

b) only ground the outer shield (at one end)

Possibilities are endless really. And for weight savings you can totally rip out a pair and it's shield to save weight.

Hey Sentry, I think you just answered the question I posed this morning!!!

http://fpvlab.com/forums/showthread....G-interference!-!

Or should I just use usb cable?

~Flying Monkey

Who I am^^ Stuff I Say>> Reverand Blue Chip's Avatar
    You just using this between the cam and OSD --> OSD to VTX?

Or are you using this for power to the OSD / CAM as well?

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Monkey View Post
    Hey Sentry, I think you just answered the question I posed this morning!!!

http://fpvlab.com/forums/showthread....G-interference!-!

Or should I just use usb cable?

~Flying Monkey
    This kicks USB cable's ass.

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Chip View Post
    You just using this between the cam and OSD --> OSD to VTX?

Or are you using this for power to the OSD / CAM as well?
    vTx to OSD.

are the copper cores solid or multi-strand?

^^ Multi.

* new pic added :

Page 1 of 65 1231151 ... LastLast