VideoAerialSystems

Thread: 2.4 Nexwave Goggle Module & VAS

Forum Member

2.4 Nexwave Goggle Module & VAS

Hi Alex / Marc & VAS;
    There has been a new item released on the market lately that has quirked a lot of interest of the 2.4Ghz FPV crowd. Would VAS have any plans to make 2.4 goggle mounted antennas like the 5.8 ones or maybe an attachment to clip onto the new FatSharks ? Seems the older VAS helical I have is pretty light and easily modified but I am worried how much separation would be needed from the goggles OR maybe this is just a bad idea ? Any input would be fantastic !! Thanks!!

Forum Member
    2.4Ghz antennas are really big and there is no getting around this. Of course I could make them lighter by using lighter materials. The only thing I do not want to do is make them smaller as smaller size means significantly reduced efficiency. This is the one major thing that I hate about PCB antennas: they are not de-rated for their lack of efficiency.

For now I would look at True RC Canada's Crosshair on 2.4GHz. It is significantly lighter than mine as it has no rear mount block, no plastic guard plate on the back, the reflector is aluminum, and the cover on the top is a nice and light styrene where mine is a heavy acrylic. I would guess True RC's model is half the weight of mine and I guarantee you it will perform just as well. You will need to come up with some kind of mount for it, but at least it won't be like sticking a weight to your head

-Alex
    If it is broken, fix it. if it isn't broken, I'll soon fix that.

[url]videoaerialsystems.com[/url] - Performance video piloting

Forum Member
    Another issue here that could be effecting performance could be the minimal separation of this 2.4 RX module/antenna in your goggles and your UHF TX in your radio ?

EDIT: Would using a filter with this module and the Ultra MM help improve video degradation people are experiencing here Alex?

Here's one of the video tests by Killerbean Alex using Ultras, tell me what you think? ...https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HT1B7gSjmHY Have you considered making 2.4 Antennas for this new product Alex?
    Last edited by ZACATTACK; 3rd January 2015 at 01:36 PM.

Forum Member
    I doubt a filter will do much. Jeremiah just did 3 miles on that system with a DTFUHF transmitter. I think your only solution is to find a way to get more separation or reduce the transmitter output power.

-Alex
    If it is broken, fix it. if it isn't broken, I'll soon fix that.

[url]videoaerialsystems.com[/url] - Performance video piloting