Page 219 of 251 FirstFirst ... 119169209217218219220221229 ... LastLast
Results 2,181 to 2,190 of 2507

Thread: Drak 60" info and possible kick start thread

Navigator
    My Drak arrived today in good shape via UPS. Packing was excellent and well thought out, like a 3D puzzle. Box was much smaller than I expected at 38" x 17" x 7.5". Wings looked straight with no apparent warpage.

First impressions:

- The thing looks smaller than I expected. I even laid it out and measured the wingspan. I think it's because the fuselage is so honking big the wings look stubby by comparison.

- Yeah, really big fuselage. You can cram all sorts of stuff in it. That's probably bad, because I will.

- The silver EPP looks excellent. I've only ever seen white before, and this looks much better. And the stuff seems REALLY solid.

- Fit of the pieces appears excellent. This kit looks to have been molded to very high precision.

- Can't say I'm a fan of the red coroplast now that I see it. I was thinking it would be just the fin/skids but it's also all the bay covers. That's a lot of red. So I may hunt around for black or another color and cut my own or just paint it.

Now to figure out what to do with it.....

First Drak delivered?

Hopefully have mine in a couple of days. Mine is sat on a pallet somewhere in London :-(

Navigator
    Hoping mine arrives tonight or tomorrow. I'm going to lay it all out with all my gear then ask myself 'now what'

I'm out of the country with work for a couple of months soon. It's gonna kill me seeing all the builds coming up!

Instructor Pilot
    Quote Originally Posted by OtherHand View Post
    My Drak arrived today in good shape via UPS. Packing was excellent and well thought out, like a 3D puzzle. Box was much smaller than I expected at 38" x 17" x 7.5". Wings looked straight with no apparent warpage.

First impressions:

- The thing looks smaller than I expected. I even laid it out and measured the wingspan. I think it's because the fuselage is so honking big the wings look stubby by comparison.

- Yeah, really big fuselage. You can cram all sorts of stuff in it. That's probably bad, because I will.

- The silver EPP looks excellent. I've only ever seen white before, and this looks much better. And the stuff seems REALLY solid.

- Fit of the pieces appears excellent. This kit looks to have been molded to very high precision.

- Can't say I'm a fan of the red coroplast now that I see it. I was thinking it would be just the fin/skids but it's also all the bay covers. That's a lot of red. So I may hunt around for black or another color and cut my own or just paint it.

Now to figure out what to do with it.....
    Once you have the elevons on it will have about 25% more Wing area, then it will look more propertional.

Co-Pilot
    Yeah, not a fan of the red coro. However, painting the hatch covers and covering with tape works well. Can try with the fins/skids, should work fine. I can get black coro, but not in that thickness. Plus its a pain cutting it out by hand.

I'll probably just paint the covers and leave the fins red

UPS just dropped the Drak at my door. Will look it over later.
    KJ6BFN

Instructor Pilot
    I will have a load of black next week, it will be 4 mm for lids and 6 mm for Verts and winglets. I will also have balsa elevons for the guys who mite want that too.
    Personally I like the red coro best, it is much more vibrant, and when you need to fly and see the orientation, or need to search for it then you will like it much better.
    Last edited by ritewing; 4th January 2016 at 06:47 PM.

Navigator
    FYI, I just started a thread about options for powering a Drak with a 4S motor. It might be of use to others that are crotchety about changing to 5S. I figured the post would get lost in this monster Drak thread so I did a separate one.

Instructor Pilot
    Sounds good, it will fly on 4s, just for not as long and not as efficient .