Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: GoPro Hero 4 Rear Connector Pin-Out

Navigator
    Hi,

Did you ever get anywhere with your remote switch on and charging on the 3+ and 4?
    I am wiring up a car at the moment and want to use the camera mounted with a switch on the dash board and could do with as much help as possible!
    Many thanks

Mike

Forum Member
    Not yet, I just received my breakout board today. Hopefully I can work on it soon.

Forum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MrConnor View Post
    Not yet, I just received my breakout board today. Hopefully I can work on it soon.
    Hi. Any update on the wired remote for the 4? So keen to get this working too.

Forum Member
    Can't believe that there is still no module where you can at least start stop video and change mode...

Andy

Forum Member
    All I have found is a cable that will charge and get video out from my GP Hero 3+ Black and only get video out from the Hero 4 black. For whatever reason GoPro holds the pin out info as confidential and I suspect it is somewhat "complicated" like using a serial buss etc. The back panel display I have works on both cameras.

Forum Member
    Yeah you would need some kind of MCU to talk to the Hero Bus to trigger a photo etc. But GoPro keeps it secret probably because they soon launch a Quad where you can add a GoPro and control it....
    However 3DRobotics did mange to control the GoPro via this bus so lets see if someone takes a Solo apart...
    https://store.3drobotics.com/product...al?taxon_id=34

Andy
    Last edited by GekoCH; 7th May 2015 at 08:27 AM.

Forum Member
    The Solo gimbal looks and sounds very good! Does not come with the Solo, is an add on. Maybe we will see it on the GoPro quad

Forum Member
    So I opend my Hero 4 once more to search for the Shutter button to extend it with two wires so I can hook up an optocoupler.
    I finally found two test points and when you short them they're like the shutter button on the top of the GoPro. I attached two
    100micro meter wires and can now trigger the recording while flying from my remote.

(short 1 and 2)
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen Shot 05-09-15 at 11.11 AM.jpg 
Views:	758 
Size:	120.9 KB 
ID:	61893

Andy

Forum Member
    Beginning of the year I asked http://cam-do.com/ if they were to release a wired remote for the H4. (could at least hack the wires with a relay or similar) They said it was in the works for this spring/summer. But it will be a back port connector, which will not work on all gimbal types.

Currently I'm using a USB cable to just supply video out to a switcher onboard. Not particularly fond of having to hit record before takeoff, or having to edit a lot of video to get shots I want, but it's still aerial 4k so I'll deal....for now!

I've spoken to GoPro support twice about the H3 pinout suspected as being different, both times the tech's were unaware that any changes were made to the 4 vs the 3, and were genuinely shocked to hear it.

Hopefully someone will crack this one and provide the details?!?!?

[I][COLOR=#000000][FONT=Helvetica Neue]"Let the future tell the truth, and evaluate each one according to his work and accomplishments. The present is theirs; the future, for which I have really worked, is mine." [/FONT][/COLOR][/I][COLOR=#000000][FONT=Helvetica Neue]Nikola Tesla[/FONT][/COLOR][COLOR=#000000][FONT=Helvetica Neue]

[/FONT][/COLOR][COLOR=#000000][FONT=Helvetica Neue]"[I]The computer can't tell you the emotional story. It can give you the exact mathematical design, but what's missing is the eyebrows.[/I]" Frank Zappa

[/FONT][/COLOR][COLOR=#000000][FONT=Helvetica Neue]

[/FONT][/COLOR]

Forum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by GekoCH View Post
    So I opend my Hero 4 once more to search for the Shutter button to extend it with two wires so I can hook up an optocoupler.
    I finally found two test points and when you short them they're like the shutter button on the top of the GoPro. I attached two
    100micro meter wires and can now trigger the recording while flying from my remote.

(short 1 and 2)
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen Shot 05-09-15 at 11.11 AM.jpg 
Views:	758 
Size:	120.9 KB 
ID:	61893

Andy
    Andy - thanks for posting this. So i guess we can't use this info to find out which bus ports can activate the same functionality? I too hope someone can crack this and share! I'll be the first to buy that person a beer, via paypal

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast