Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Lost the plane today :( Vector "RTH Engaged: Bad Rx Pulsewidths" (Vector, Eagle Eyes)

Navigator
    On a separate note... I think its time I invest in a 433 long range system. Which of these options is better for this: Dragonlink, or EzUHF (immerson RC)?

Navigator
    I have some theories here as to how the vector may have ended up acting the way it did.

In the AR8000, the failsafe not only remembers throttle position, but it also remembers the SWITCH position. This means that every time I lost my TX signal, the eagle tree would engage a return to home sequence but simultaneously would be switched to "stabilize off" (my first position of three). Whenever I have lost control for a few seconds at a time but regained and then lost quickly, I could see these two modes fighting on the screen, but eventually RTH would have won. I believe this same sequence of events happened right before the spin.

Could the RX failsafe being engaged by throttle while simultaneously putting out a "stabilize off" switch position have confused the vector to the point where it simply locked up?

Paul

Navigator
    Sorry to hear about your crash! Once RTH is engaged, the Vector should have stabilization engaged regardless of your mode switch. What method for detecting failsafe did you have selected? It is always a good idea to have your RX failsafe setting indicated that all sticks are centered and throttle at zero as well as having your mode switches in the correct position depending on if you are using mode switch, throttle, or sbus for failsafe detection.

Also, keep in mind that if there is a complete loss of power of the RX, it is not able to output the failsafe positions. In that case, the Vector would not know it activate RTH.

I hope you find the plane and if you do, open a support ticket and attach the log files. We should be able to see what happened. As others have said, recording all flights is highly recommended. We can sometime pull the telemetry off of a video to view logs that way too.

Regards, John

Navigator
    Hey John, thanks for the words, the vector has performed flawlessly up until now and of course I am not even sure if it was the cause of this. My stick positions were set to centre for the failsafe.

I was using the throttle position for the failsafe option, but even though I was using that whenever I entered the throttle failsafe the vector still registered the mode switch position which was programmed to my "Stab off" position. so the vector, when my RX went into failsafe, would receive two contradicting signals: "Throttle failsafe active" AND "Mode switch: Stab off"

I am wondering if this contradiction may have confused the system.

will the vector have the logs intact from the flight??

Flex.

Navigator
    No problems with AR8000, dx9 and vector set to RTH on throttle position on two different planes.

I regularly flew 2-3miles out hitting loss of signal and watching RTH kick on. The only time I notice problems is when it would lose and get signal right away. It would make the plane jump around til I just hit RTH and let it do its thing.

Do you think it regained signal at some point or was it RTH til you last saw it?

Good luck on the search

For LRS, I have had good experience with DragonLink. Never a failsafe, lockout, etc. Been out 4.7 miles with it. It is solid. I also have it connected to my Vector.

Mistake Discovery Artist
    Quote Originally Posted by Flex Plexico View Post
    On a separate note... I think its time I invest in a 433 long range system. Which of these options is better for this: Dragonlink, or EzUHF (immerson RC)?
    Some suggested viewing material...

Quote Originally Posted by Flyswamper View Post
    Some suggested viewing material...

This is good, however the info on DragonLink is dated. A new DL firmware was released since this video was produced. There is a night and day difference on new DL firmware.

Pilot
    I'm pretty happy with the DTF deluxe. Cheap and solid link 100% of the time. (Except when I left a 30 db attenuator on it. That was sorta embarrassing. )
    Flying through the cash.

Navigator
    Well, after 2 hours of hiking through a hilly conservation area, we FOUND IT! Here is where it was:

I have downloaded the vector data from the flight and have some interesting readings from the point of the crash.