Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Precision Agricultural Weed Maintenance

Navigator
    that flir is tiny!

Indeed it is tiny Only 80x60 pixels though. I'm not sure that's good enough resolution for aerial imagery. Still, at that price it's worth checking out.

Side note: One of my collegues just started using the Agribotix service last night, VitaminJ. Given that you're there, any tips on taking the best aerial imagery for mosaicing? We're currently facing a problem where we have a radial hotspot in our individual images (RGB & NGB), which messes up our NDVI calculations and makes it harder to determine if there's a problem in a plant or if it's the sensor.
    -Matt: destroyer of gimbals, wrecker of frames.

My YT Channel --> youtube.com/user/mdbardeen
    Blog --> fpvlab.com/forums/showthread.php?38190-Vuela-Chile-Vuela!-The-ramblings-of-an-American-in-Chile

Quote Originally Posted by Chile Vuela View Post
    Indeed it is tiny Only 80x60 pixels though. I'm not sure that's good enough resolution for aerial imagery. Still, at that price it's worth checking out.

Side note: One of my collegues just started using the Agribotix service last night, VitaminJ. Given that you're there, any tips on taking the best aerial imagery for mosaicing? We're currently facing a problem where we have a radial hotspot in our individual images (RGB & NGB), which messes up our NDVI calculations and makes it harder to determine if there's a problem in a plant or if it's the sensor.
    Some tips to get the best image stitching:
    -Make sure you have enough overlap between the pictures and there aren't any holes. It's best if each spot on the ground is in at least 9 or 10 pictures.
    -The time synchronization is vital for accurate georeferencing. If using a camera with GPS, ensure it has a good GPS lock before flying. If not, the Agribotix Field Extractor program can sync the images to the flight log as long as you use the camera to take a picture of the time shown on the Mission Planner screen while connected to the drone.
    -If you have damage to the lens that will cause major problems in the image stitching.
    -The best conditions for imaging fields are when the light is constant and unchanging, sunny or overcast. If there are big popcorn clouds casting shadows over part of the field while other parts are bright this will really cause issues with NIR images. We are working on an automated system to eliminate cloud shadows, though.

On a side-note, after this week Agribotix will be moving to a pay service on image processing so if you want to try it for free now's your chance!

Quote Originally Posted by Channel 1 View Post
    But can it spray too?

Wayne

I have to see that in action- and to answer your question- no. But oviously it could with a similar rig as that heli has!
    Thanks- I knew this niche would already have smart innovators involved- the industry begs for this tech to make it more efficient.

...now where does a semi retired fpv pilot with a passion for working on these things find a job in his mature years so he can continue to support his fpv addiction? The million dollar question, eh?
    dirty side down.....o~^o

How many folks utilize a gimbal for downward facing mapping? Mounting considerations? I am shopping cameras- and the canon that is highly recommended has a few DIY gimbal kits that I could probably build, but I would rather buy an assembled one first- everything in this hobby I learned the best I learned by reverse engineering existing products.
    I am one of those guys that grew up taking stuff apart to see how it worked
    dirty side down.....o~^o

I know one was linked above, but have you watched Dennis Baldwin's series on his downward facing gimbal setup?
    -Chris
    www.youtube.com/user/criccio

Quote Originally Posted by Zeeflyboy View Post
    If it all ends badly this time, I'm quitting FPV and RC and taking up golf.

Quote Originally Posted by criccio View Post
    I know one was linked above, but have you watched Dennis Baldwin's series on his downward facing gimbal setup?
    Yes- he is where I am getting excellent advice on camera and gimbal- I always get 2nd, third, fourth, 5th... and more opinions though- then I make my assessments. So far, his suggestions are the bar that all others are matched against.
    dirty side down.....o~^o

Navigator
    that FLIR thermal system looks pretty sweet. I wonder if it has the precision necessary for agro-imaging.

I'll let you know soon. I have two in my possession now, I just need to interface them with a microcomputer to see what they can do.
    -Matt: destroyer of gimbals, wrecker of frames.

My YT Channel --> youtube.com/user/mdbardeen
    Blog --> fpvlab.com/forums/showthread.php?38190-Vuela-Chile-Vuela!-The-ramblings-of-an-American-in-Chile

In Aus the tech is here but the regs won't allow the maximizing of it, the Yamaha copter for instance cannot legally be left to fly a GPS automated flight, it must be in the control of a certified flight controller, thus mitigating to a degree the capabilities of the tech... 2 steps forward, 1 step back....
    Man must rise above the Earth—to the top of the atmosphere and beyond—for only thus will he fully understand the world in which he lives.
    — Socrates

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast