www.immersionrc.com

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Diversity bi-directional / transceiver functionality?

Navigator

Diversity bi-directional / transceiver functionality?

I'm struggling to find an answer to this, as the official manual is from Nov 2010 and promises bi-directional functionality is coming in the summer of 2010.

I'd like to see if I can transmit telemetry from the Pixhawk back to the EzUHF JR module in my Taranis X9D (via the EzUHF Diversity transceiver), but before I spend a bunch of time investigating things I thought I'd see what's been done by anyone else thus far.

Nothing has been done on this really, frankly there's no use in doing this as all the info is much better displayed via an OSD than via a radio's display.
    Velvety smooth drone pilot for hire

Navigator
    Quote Originally Posted by ssassen View Post
    Nothing has been done on this really, frankly there's no use in doing this as all the info is much better displayed via an OSD than via a radio's display.
    It's not just raw telemetry, though. You use the telemetry radios to upload missions in the air or to broadcast your GPS location when in follow-me mode. Also both for UAV missions as well as follow-me mode you aren't necessarily going to be donning FPV goggles, but you want to know if your copter is running low on juice and about to fall out the sky The other use-case in which it's preferable is that 3DR have this cool little Bluetooth data link for uploading the mission when the vehicle is on the ground, so you could literally remove the telemetry radio for UAV missions if you just had telemetry on your transmitter.

Given the relatively simple protocol and the open-source nature of the Pixhawk / APM telemetry port, it may be a worthy goal for you ImmersionRC to look at baking this functionality in (even if it means a separate add-on product is needed to run as a modem between the Pixhawk and the Diversity transceiver). EzUHF is the ideal companion to the Pixhawk for control and telemetry.

Some starting points if you guys are interested -

Open-source radio firmware https://github.com/RFDesign/SiK
    Details from Ardupilot on the radio interface: https://code.google.com/p/ardupilot-mega/wiki/3DRadio
    Circuit diagrams and extensive details on the jDrones telemetry radio product page: http://store.jdrones.com/RDF900_Tele...rdf900mdm1.htm

Seriously, it's a potential match made in heaven, and this level of tighter integration with a well-defined and open source in-air data protocol is what modern RC needs.

I agree that telemetry data is best displayed in the OSD.

However, coming from FrSky's X8R with some S.Port telemetry sensors (and currently in the process of switching to EzUHF) there is one thing I really miss - acoustical warnings.

I'm very used to let my Taranis play a sound e.g. when RSSI or current voltage gets low and it's time to return or land. The possibility to use at least the most important telemetry values in OpenTX would be a nice enhancement in my opinion.
    Last edited by raumagent; 8th January 2015 at 04:57 AM.

+1 on this.

Also I don't agree on that OSD is the best option to display telemetry data like RSSI. There are many advantages to have the ability to display telemetry on the remote. The most obvious one would be that some people might want telemetry and not have a cam on-board. Next thing would be a suddenly broken video link, which would also kill every information about the aircrafts position etc.

I'd really love to see some upgrades in this direction.. or just make everything open source so we can do it ourselves :P

Navigator
    Quote Originally Posted by Xaser View Post
    I'd really love to see some upgrades in this direction.. or just make everything open source so we can do it ourselves :P
    Meh, considering that ImmersionRC has been promising bi-directional firmware for 5 years, and has failed to deliver on it, I think it's safe to say our money is best spent elsewhere. It's such a pity, but I don't want to fly like it's 2009 anymore.

Bi-directional is useful for what exactly? It eats into your link budget and all the info you need is already in your OSD, so why bother? You won't be looking at your radio's display anyway.
    Velvety smooth drone pilot for hire

ImmersionRC Support Guru swillhide's Avatar
    Bi directional, what is it? We dont know! when do we want it? NOW! ... sounds like a rally chant almost. You do know what happened last time they started a rally chant for the 2.4 stuff...
    AMA # 1015480 HAM Callsign # Procrastinating..
    Futaba 9c w/Ezuhf /Skywalker 1880 or anything else that I can Lawn Dart.
    Retired: Disco(Sold), Skywalker 1900(Dirt Nap), Qav540g/Nazav2/Iosd mk2

Navigator
    Hi swillhide,

Check your E-Mail.

capman231

Quote Originally Posted by swillhide View Post
    Bi directional, what is it? We dont know! when do we want it? NOW! ... sounds like a rally chant almost. You do know what happened last time they started a rally chant for the 2.4 stuff...

Navigator
    Bi-directional is useful for what exactly? It eats into your link budget and all the info you need is already in your OSD, so why bother? You won't be looking at your radio's display anyway.
    You're joking, right? There are literally several use-cases outlined above. To reiterate:

1. Not everyone flies FPV

2. Those who fly a more modern FC like the Pixhawk can and do fly UAV, including in follow-me mode or preplanned missions. In both scenarios (follow-me in particular) you'd want to be able to have the controller on-hand for emergencies, but you wouldn't be flying FPV.