FPVLAB

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Long Range FPV system Help

Forum Member

Question Long Range FPV system Help

Hi Guys,
    I'm flying FPV since last year and I want to reach the next level, so I will need some new equipment.
    I have a few questions to ask you guys :

1) I want to buy the EZUhf from ImmersionRc but I already own a Spektrum Dx8. Will the two be compatible or not ? I have seen some people saying it was ok, others said the signal strength wasn't strong enough, so I want to be completely sure.

2)For the diversity receiver, which one is the best between Duo2400v2 from ImmersionRc or oracle diversity ? other ?
    For the antennas, in addition to a high gain patch(14 dbi), is it better to take an omni antenna (2dbi) or a 8dbi patch antenna ?

I have read that ImmersionRc is planning to make a new ground station, is that true ? Would be sad if I bought a complete new set of equipment if something new is coming.

Thank you very much for your answers !

What freq are you going to use for video?

What is your current range record?? (can you post some video)

What are you currently using for control?

I am not a fan of diversity - but maybe someone who loves/uses diversity can assist you.

What range are you trying to achieve?
    "I Like Waffles" : FPVLab on Facebook and FPVLab on Twitter

Forum Member
    For the video, I'm going to use 2.4 Ghz.
    My current range record is 1km, with 5.8 Ghz (0,7 mile) ^^.
    I am currently using my Dx8 to control my plane.
    Would be nice if I could get like 10 miles of range.

Here's a video I've made :
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pyeCC...tIxalijaaXy_hT

Forum Member
    I'll jump in here. . 2.4 for video should be fine as long as you are not in a "city".
    Get a LRS EZ-UHF should be fine. I use dragon link and have gone to 10 miles. I use a DX7 with my dragon link, but I am not sure about the DX8. . . .Ask Sander if it will work.
    Diversity: I have it and don't use it at all. You don't need it, IMO.

Range: 10miles can easily be achieved with a LRS, 500mw lawmate 2.4 VTX, and 13dbi linear patch. IF YOU SET UP YOUR EQUIPMENT PROPERLY!!!!
    If you do not you will not get 2 miles.

Your video does not tell me anything about the "quality" of your video link. Do you have a ground recording video, like the view in your goggles?

Forum Member
    I'm actually flying near a city. I mean there will always be some wifis near by (you can see it in my videos on youtube). Will it really be a problem with 2.4 ?
    I don't have any ground recording, but I'm currently flying on 5.8 and I want to change to 2.4 500mw lawmate when I'll get my UHF. I will begin to fly without a diversity but with a 14 dbi patch antenna, in this case an antenna tracker should be an option ?

I think that you should progress much more slowly than you are attempting. The range you are trying to achieve is NOT easy. In fact - there are more things that can go wrong that can go right. I'm not so sure that 10 miles is "the next level" based on your current records. Instead of trying to railroad yourself into 10 miles - just work on your personal bests. Adding a LRS can add issues on the ground w/ the vRx in some cases, so the learning curve just starts over.

My advice - figure out what you want to do for a LRS, then develop a plane that has enough battery to achieve small increases in your range. Grow little by little. Also - range attempts in major cities could be a bad idea. Make sure that you know the environment well.
    "I Like Waffles" : FPVLab on Facebook and FPVLab on Twitter

Forum Member
    The thing is that I don't really trust my Dx8 on long range, I have already lost a plane flying at 0,5 miles with a dx6. I really need a uhf if I want to go just a bit more far.
    I'm also reaching the limits of my 5.8 Ghz receiver so I need to go to 2,4 for longer range. An option could be to take lawmate tx and rx and add a patch antenna to the rx. This isn't to complicated isn't it ?

Forum Member
    I would not trust FPV'ing on your dx8 or any other 2.4 for 50 feet.
    Based on your statements that you have reached 1km "the limit" of your 5.8. . . . NOT EVEN CLOSE!
    Several on here have gone to 5km+ and Someone has made it to 8km.
    You can also achieve very good range on 72mhz or 35mhz depending on what is legal in your country.
    This would be one of the very few times I disagree with Sentry. Sorry Sentry. . . . I suggest get the LRS. . . Stick with 5.8 for now and learn the "true basics"
    After you have gone 5-6km on 5.8 THEN worry about 10miles. Increase your range SLOWLY through a progression of flights learning as you go.

Forum Member
    By LRS you mean uhf right ?
    I know I should learn slowly but i don't want to increase my range with 5.8 because I will at the end go with 2.4 so it's better for me to change now to 2.4 now so i will be able to increase my range slowly with 2.4. I just want to begin with the simple stuff like lawmate tx and rx and a patch antenna.

Forum Member
    I have a question that Timot may be interested in... Sorry for the hijack

I have the EzUHF, connected straight out of the box to my Futaba 7C, and it's working already. I have done no modification to the 7C and still used it sometime with normal FASST receiver. Then, the Remote transmit 2.4Ghz and 433Mhz.

If I buy some 2.4Ghz equipment, is the 2.4Ghz transmission of the 7C will affect the video link? Then, I have to disabled the 2.4Ghz from the 7c???
    "Truly superior pilots are those who use their superior judgment to avoid those situations where they might have to use their superior skills"- Author unknown

Stole from scotttu

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast