FPVLAB

Thread: Aloha from Hawaii

Banned

Aloha from Hawaii

Hello everybody!

I am Michael, 31, I am currently stationed in Hawaii and loving it. I really want to get into FPV flying and have my heart set on a Zephyr II. The only thing I have purchased so far is a Spektrum DX8 Tx and flight sim(yes I'm soooooo new to this). I am a little worried because I have been looking at the Dragon Link FPV system and am not really sure how it will interface with my DX8 but hopefully I can find that answer and many others here. Thanks!

-- Michael

Forum Member
    Hi Michael, welcome.

I've always been a bit wary of the DX8 - I have one and it has caused a Trex 450 chopper I had to crash due to issues with a gimbal. I wouldn't trust it with a 100mph, 5lb wing that you're flying miles away from yourself.

If I were you I'd get another transmitter to use as a PPM source for the DragonLink, that's what I have done. I know it's more $ but what price for peace of mind?

Banned
    Thanks for the info. The more I read about it the less happy I am with it, I originally bought it off the recommendation of a friend because I was planning on getting a TREX 550-600. I've seen a few things on the internet that say in order to get it to work I need to open it up and do some soldering. I can solder, but soldering inside my Tx just so I can fly my first R/C vehicle is less than desirable. I'd like to see what 'normal' is before I go mad scientist on my equipment, lol. I would love to hear what you use. Chances are I will sell the DX8 and get something else(sucks, waste of money). Thank you!

Forum Member
    This is my main FPV wing -

http://fpvlab.com/forums/showthread....ther-Scout-Bee

I've got a DragonLink on that, and a Futaba 9C to 'drive' the DL transmitter.

I have another, slightly smaller wing that I use just for bashing around but don't have any pictures of it on the interwebs.

Ground equipment wise, I've got a tripod with a standard Lawmate receiver and a 14dbi patch - all powered by a 3S LiPo. Pretty simple stuff.

I think the key in FPV is to do your research, and KISS as far as possible.

http://fpvlab.com/forums/showthread....TO-FPV-SUCCESS

http://fpvlab.com/forums/showthread....p-philosophies

Have a good read of these and you'll be on your way, loads of good info.

Forum Member
    Welcome to the lab.

I used to be stationed out at Barbers Pt. from '92 to '95. Flew out at the Kauinui marsh over by Kaneohe, great place to fly. You should have a blast with a Zephyr with all the cliff around there.

Banned
    Thanks airtruksrus!

I am looking forward to it, I am only here for about another year before I transfer so I need to get on it! Getting some good aerial video of Pearl Harbor, Kaneohe Bay, the North Shore and of course the mountains/cliffs are my goals before I get out of here.

Forum Member
    Best of luck on the training, wear the flight sim out, should keep you from wearing out the Zephyr before you're ready.

Forum Member
    Love Hawaii.

Pakalolo sweet!
    [COLOR=red]FPV is not a crime![/COLOR]

executiveprinters.com
    printingplusfl.com

Welcome to the Lab!!
    "I Like Waffles" : FPVLab on Facebook and FPVLab on Twitter