Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Would like advise on ESCs and motors for larger X6 or X8 mr

Forum Member

Would like advise on ESCs and motors for larger X6 or X8 mr

I'm looking to put together a larger X6 or X8 multi rotor that will be carrying a 3 axis gimbal, two cameras and two video RXs. I want it to run on 6S (probably one or two 5000 mAh packs) since I'd like to use my heli's flight packs.

I want something that will handle 20+ MPH wind well which is why I'm looking at either an X6 or X8.

I've already decided that I'll be using a 3DR Pixhawk FC with 433 mHz radio. I would like to use either a SimonK or BLHeli flashed ESC, but am a little worried about sync issues with a large MR.

Any comments and/or help is appreciated.

Forum Member
    Probably the best ones out right now with SimonK are the Tiger 600Hz ESCs. Higher refresh rates gives a smoother flight. They also are compatible with up to 6S batteries.
    The cheaper option which im using is the ZTW spider ESCs. The same specs, but nearlly half the cost. Im using them with SS V3508 380KV Motors, 5S 10A (2 batteries in parrallel), 15x5 CF props and getting a solid 25mins of decent flight.

If you want the ducks nuts, have a look at the KDE brand of motors and ESCs. Ultra efficient for long flight times.
    Ill be using the KDE4014XF380 motors on an X8 coupled with the 35A ESCs, 6S 22A Tattu battery, 14 or 15 inch props and looking for 40mins flight time. This is for a professional inspection rig, not for a hobby rig though.

Forum Member
    Thanks. What I don't like about the spider ESCs is that they don't have a boot loader on them and I want to enable COMP_PWM. I guess I could always open them up and put the bootloader on though.

That sounds like a great setup. I don't need or want anything that nice at the moment. I'm thinking about getting an X8 and setting it up for 6S. I am planning on using Y connectors on the ESCs so the FC thinks it's flying a quad. That should allow for motor, ESC and prop redundancy while keeping the wiring down a little as well. I'm thinking something along the lines of 12 inch props up top and 11 inch props on the bottom with a bit more pitch. I think that will help with the efficiency issue.

Forum Member
    If you where going for an X8, what would your preference be for?

Forum Member
    I'm hoping for power, redundancy and flight time. I have no idea which frame to go with. I was looking at something simple like this: http://www.readymaderc.com/store/ind...oducts_id=3457 in a Quad X8 layout with two 6S 5000 mah batteries.

I'd prefer a Y6 over an X8, but I think the X8 adds a lot of redundancy (and power). The FC doesn't even need to be all that good to recover from a failure on an X8.

I guess I could always add a parachute instead.
    Last edited by RS2K; 19th November 2014 at 10:04 PM.

Forum Member
    I've never heard of "using Y connectors on the ESCs so the FC thinks it's flying a quad." Doesn't sound right to me. Why not just use the flight controller in X8 mode?
    If your using a pixhawk, there is an allowance in the code for redundency if you do happen to throw a prop or blow a motor/esc.

Forum Member
    I've read running an X8 as a quad provides better yaw authority than running an X8 as an X8 which tends to have better yaw one direction than the other. I'm interested in trying both setups out just for fun.

The thought is: In a traditional X8 all the top motors spin one direction and all the bottom motors spin the other. In the Y-cable method the top props spin like a normal quad and the bottom props match the top.The X8 will then behave like a quad. The FC doesn't need to know it has 8 motors. If you lose a motor, ESC or prop the FC just applies more power to the other motor on the arm.
    Last edited by RS2K; 19th November 2014 at 10:22 PM.

Forum Member
    for arducopter/pixhawk, the motor directions are different.
    see here.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	APM_2_5_MOTORS_X8.jpg 
Views:	78 
Size:	138.6 KB 
ID:	54722

Forum Member
    Thanks, I didn't realize that. I haven't looked into the config for an X8 yet. I just remember the Naza image from the Naza I used to have. I guess that solves the yaw issue.

I wonder how well a Pixhawk can recover from a motor/esc/prop failure on a Y6. I know it can easily do it on an X8. I'm pretty sure an X8 can get back home after a failure. I would imagine a Y6 failure would require walking.

Forum Member
    Have a read of these
    Link
    Link

They are a few years old, so arducopter is a bit past some of what they are talking about, but gives you some confidence in the redundency of a Y6.

Also have a look here. Link a bit newer.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast