VideoAerialSystems

Page 3 of 45 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Turnstile UHF RX antenna tutorial

Engineer for Jesus Christ IBCrazy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Trappy View Post
    my postman has made a regular stop here every day since 2 weeks. let's see if I can keep this going. hahaha
    It comes in waves, Raphael. In the span of 3 days I got orders for over 55 antennas. Since then I get about two per day.
    If it is broken, fix it. if it isn't broken, I'll soon fix that.

videoaerialsystems.com - Performance video piloting

No Artificial Sweeteners. kev.au's Avatar
    Anybody else have a BluBeam antenna set?, i'd be interested in hearing your results.

Cheers, Kev.
    Last edited by IBCrazy; 24th March 2011 at 11:53 PM.

Navigator
    Can anyone please upload a picture of the antenna installed in a plane. I don't understand how to mount it in the plane.

Updated with mounting pictures

I've been reading a lot lately on which LRS to go with and was leaning towards TLRS for a few reasons:

1. Diversity
    2. Multiple power outputs just in case
    3. Build quality
    4. Interfaces with DOSD+ which is pretty amazing

Now after reading about your new antenna would you say that #1 isn't much of concern anymore?

I'm new to antennas so cut me a little slack if this question is way off... What about using this antenna with the TLRS possibly as I'm building a zephr and the horizontal layout would be pretty sweet.

I don't need something set in stone but your best guess on how you see things.

Thanks
    "1.3GHz 850mW video transmitter. Warm as hell. Drains power as thirsty camel." -Rastislavko

"At this point DL was an option, sat back and saw more feedback from buyers. Start getting good range results 12-15-17km 20-22-25km? From a $320 system??? Looks good, really good. Price drop to $269, end of story..." -Po73

The TLRS is the best out there. I would certainly benefit from using one turnstile and oune dipole (turstile flat, dipole vertical) and would give you a full 3 dimensional polarization pattern.

I chose a Dragonlink because I know the inventor and like his work. I have no idea how it performs compared to others but I'm certain even the worst LRS would be suitable for my purposes.

I will be doing an LRS shootout at the southeastern fly-in. We will soon know who has the best LRS. I will be putting these to the ultimate tests.

-Alex

cool, can't wait to hear how the UHFs compare!

Fly FPV, sleep; repeat
    Quote Originally Posted by IBCrazy View Post
    The TLRS is the best out there.
    Can you elaborate? Just curious.. What's that based on? You mention it would benefit from a turnstile and dipole. But the EZUHF also has antenna diversity.

I am talking about the build and component quality only when referring to the TLRS. The EZ UHF would also benefit. The RX is the real kicker. I know the Dragonlink has a weak front end and thus noisy environments can affect them greatly. Thus my tests will be dry runs first, then a simulated long range flight where I will find the limits very quickly. Basically what I'm going to do is put a poorly tuned antenna on a 1.3 GHz VTX and place it right next to the UHF RX. The UHF RX antenna will be disconnected and there will be a 50 ohm dummy load on the transmitter. Ths should more or less knock out all variables except sensitivity and out of band rejection. I will then repeat the tests without the VTX.

These test of course assume that each LRS will be available for testing at the fly-in. I only have a DragonLink. The rest of the tests will be loaners.

-Alex

you would be right if all the enclosures were RF shielded. the DL gets incredible ranges with the dummy loads, which leads me to believe it's radiating not only though the SMA.