Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Angled Motor Mounts For "Flat" Arms?

Angled Motor Mounts For "Flat" Arms?

Round arms are cool for sure but actually attaching motors to them requires some "tuning"...

Why not wedge shaped motor mounts? 5 to 10 degree slope. I'm sure someone is making them?

Pros: FPV cam has a better view of the horizon in FFF, possibly an aerodynamic gain/speed?

Cons: Slight increase in weight? Maybe not as strong as direct bolt to arm?

Also, in the quest for speed...who is testing narrower frames (less profile drag in fff)? Fuselages?

TBS Gemini is one that has " all of the above"

Maybe the difference is negligible at best? I'm not an aeronautical engineer by any stretch of the imagination.

I've seen some on one of the 3d printing repositories, I've also seen mention of this sort of "kit" being available with the upcoming version of the sparky that is shipping Monday iirc. I haven't seen any in use, but I am also interested to see how they work.

Im a N00b so what?!
    I dunno, My simple pea brain doesn't see the advantage... Motors are tilted at say 10 degrees... the fc board references the quad flat, 0 degrees, camera is also 0 degrees(assuming fixed). Now when you pitch forward 10 degrees, your camera is pointed down 10 degrees, the quad itself is now 10 degrees forward and your motors are 20 degrees forward HOWEVER your flight controller is still basing its input from holding your quad at 0 degrees...

I understand that essentially your max rpm window is delayed, therefore lengthened with the tilted motors but how much it actually helps.... not sure. The gemini isn't the first fast mini out there. Hell there are 0 degree motor minis that would murder the gemini with 4 props!

Or am I missing something...

Isone...that's basically what I'm wondering...if it really makes a difference in top speed.

I have a standard Mamba with round arms and the motors angled forward...and for a fixed FPV cam in forward to fast forward flight the view is definitely better so one pro for that...but otherwise???

Maybe give the arms an aerodynamic lift producing shape to increase efficiency in forward flight?

OSUFPV - KF7VFT
    Quote Originally Posted by lsone View Post
    Motors are tilted at say 10 degrees... the fc board references the quad flat, 0 degrees, camera is also 0 degrees(assuming fixed).
    That's why you tilt the FC to match the motors and have your cam either permanently tilted up or with a pitch servo tied into FC mode switch.
    Formerly: rcgroups.com/forums/member.php?u=308733

The increase in speed comes from reduced drag. THe lowest drag on quads is typically in the level position and increases with angle. If you know the angle that your quad flies at optimizing drag at that angle would be a wise thing to do if you cared about speed. I say typically because you actually need to test it for your quad rather than making assumptions.
    KF7SKL,TechPod/Walrus/250mmQuad/HoneyBadger, EZUHF,SL-AAT, 1G3/2G4/5G8

[Flight Box]Low Class FPV slowjet's Avatar
    Whats this talk about the orientation of the FC? The board angle doesn't matter as you can offset it when you tune the board. Some of the reason to tilt motors are for speed (less drag over all) and so the camera is pointed down less.
    [Flight Box] - Watch, Cry, Subscribe.
    youtube.com/jnacoustic

NEFPV^

OSUFPV - KF7VFT
    Quote Originally Posted by slowjet View Post
    Whats this talk about the orientation of the FC? The board angle doesn't matter as you can offset it when you tune the board. Some of the reason to tilt motors are for speed (less drag over all) and so the camera is pointed down less.
    This may be untrue, but I heard that the 3axis acc/gyro pcb's are most accurate when the coordinate system is matching that of the board. You can of course do a software offset on most boards.

Edit: Just looked, looks like it doesn't matter after all.
    Formerly: rcgroups.com/forums/member.php?u=308733

Just from experience with the Mamba...

Board calibration can be done a few different ways...and basically...yeah, the board figures it out and does what it needs to do.

Putting the angle into the board setting seems to help though, particularly for hovering...but if you're just hovering mostly then tilted motors definitely don't accomplish anything haha.

Regarding drag...profile drag...that's why I'm wondering if a fuselage (body) would be better?

Thinking as narrow as possible...aerodynamically lift producing arms...motors angled forward?

Would be really cool to see a quad in a wind tunnel.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast