Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: how do you learn to edit?

Forum Member

how do you learn to edit?

i enjoy flying and record some of the time, but my computer seems to only handle 720p recordings using the free movie maker that came with it. when i watch others on here some are pretty amazing, ive had ago at a couple of vid but they are a bit ordinary to share- how should i progess from here ? a time lapse from today www.youtube.com/watch?v=PLnIT_ob3aA and another http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O-_nH...pln9b_xNvIWTyA

Forum Member
    Ive only used windows movie maker. So far so good. For time lapse id use what ever program cam with the cam (IE- GoPro Studio)
    [SIZE="3"][B]Live Slow - Fly FAST![/B][/SIZE]

FPV does NOT fly ASAP.

Forum Member
    Youtube tutorials for the software you're using. That and just doing it a lot.

Kinda how we learn most things these days lol..
    -Chris
    www.youtube.com/user/criccio

[QUOTE=Zeeflyboy;562833]If it all ends badly this time, I'm quitting FPV and RC and taking up golf.[/QUOTE]

Forum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dust View Post
    Ive only used windows movie maker. So far so good. For time lapse id use what ever program cam with the cam (IE- GoPro Studio)
    thanks, ill stick with moviemaker for now, the timelapse was just 1800 pics with the duration changed- it wouldnt play smooth on my pc but did when i put it on youtube.

Quote Originally Posted by criccio View Post
    Youtube tutorials for the software you're using. That and just doing it a lot.

Kinda how we learn most things these days lol..
    yes it, i started with the fly and cry method- then i would google what went wrong!, now i spend more time reading before anything!

Forum Member
    I have the same problem with my laptop. It can handle 720p OK but really struggles with 1080p.
    I mainly use AVS video editor that I purchased some years ago. They had a deal if you paid about $70 then you were entitled to all their programs for life. It turned out to be a bargain for me as I have about 7 or 8 AVS programs and can update anytime for nix.
    They also have a Video Re-maker program that can add effects and all sorts of stuff but I keep my vids basic due to the lack of oomph in my puter.
    I also believe You Tube and Vimeo don't play vids as well as they used to.

Forum Member
    VideoPad editor from NCH is free and good to start, a step up from M$ Movie maker.
    I've moved onto Adobe Premier and I love it! VideoPad is catching up but Adobe is far more professional, and difficult to use.

You have to have an eye for it, choose a good backtrack and IMHO cut the scenes around the song to emphasize the scenes

Adobe Premier, does not seem to require a lot of horsepower as it links to video files vs importing them and then importing to memory.
    It also renders video far faster than NCH's VideoPad.

And you can RENT Adobe Premier monthly now - think it's about $18 a month.

This was one of my first ever videos.

Last edited by Scotttu; 3rd November 2014 at 12:50 AM.
    "Truly superior pilots are those who use their superior judgment to avoid those situations where they might have to use their superior skills"- Author unknown

KF7TRX

Forum Member
    thankyou for the tip, nice fist vid of you vw resto, also like the paulsbo(?) video some close calls in that one.

Forum Member
    Been doing video editing for about five years, and professionally for about a year now. I'm 17, so I'm still learning, but this is what I've learned:
    #1: Do it. Seriously, the only real way to get better at video editing is to do it, and do it a lot. Get practice by editing together videos of whatever the hell you can. flights, groundstation recordings, gopro shots, hell, it doesn't even have to be rc. Edit together a trailer for your favorite show, really anything you can think of. just start doing it.
    #2: when looking for a video editing program, the most important thing is not what features it has (non-linear and multi-track, etc can be very handy, but not necessary), it's whether you can navigate it intuitively and naturally. if you're having to constantly try to figure out how to do a specific task in your program, that program is too complicated for your skill level. work up slowly. I started off making dumb little videos in imovie and wmm, and now I'm editing professionally using adobe premiere pro, which I vastly prefer to the previous software I tried. but if I tried to start out learning video editing using premiere pro, I'd have given up within minutes. There's too many options/features, and unless you're a professional they will just cause confusion. Keep it simple!
    #3: start with music. The first thing you need to do when starting a project is find a song you want to edit your footage to. If you find the right song, you'll already start having ideas about what shot to put where, how quickly to cut, where to use certain effects and where not to use effects (important). Once you have a song dropped into your timeline, start messing around with throwing clips in and see where it takes you.
    #4: the human brain naturally accepts rhythm. if your cuts are lined up with the beat of the music, the whole video will feel much more natural. think of it like a musical performance : if the soloist is out of time with the orchestra, it's not going to work.

Forum Member
    also, you don't need a ridiculously powerful computer to edit video, but it can be very helpful. I'm personally running a $1600 custom-built setup with an intel i7-4770k overclocked to 4.6ghz, an nvidia gtx780 graphics card, 16gb of ram, 1tb of solid state storage (for operating system, programs, and current projects) and a 4tb WesternDigital 7200rpm hard drive for general storage of files. This is massive overkill, and I only need it because I do very intensive tasks as part of my work. However, I would say that if you notice your computer lagging during editing or even playback of videos, there are a few upgrades you can make that won't be too expensive:
    1: solid state storage. seriously, this is the single best upgrade you can make to a computer right now. not only will media files used for editing load and play much faster, you will also see a massive general improvement in your computer's speed. you can either install a small capacity one (I still recommend minimum 120gb, preferably 240gb or above) alongside your current hard drive, or simply replace your hard drive with an ssd entirely (I suggest at least 500gb, possibly 1tb in this case, but large capacity ssds get expensive fast.) I recommend the samsung 840 evo series, as they offer an excellent balance between price and performance.
    2: increase ram. Random Access Memory is the smaller capacity, much higher speed memory where your computer stores files that are actively in use (like videos that you are putting together in an editor for example). More will allow your computer to read from the (slow) hard drive much less often, speeding up your editing.
    3: upgrade your graphics card (desktop computers only). If your editing software allows hardware acceleration, a dedicated graphics card will allow you to use effects such as warp stabilizer much more quickly, and will make final exports much faster. This generally only applies to more professional software like premiere pro, sony vegas (with a third party plugin), and final cut pro. If you're on a budget, the nvidia 750ti or amd r9 260x are excellent cards for under $150, but if you can afford to spend some cash I would recommend a 770, 780, 970 or 980. (pricey cards, overkill unless you're going pro.)
    4: upgrade your processor. (very hard, risky if new to computer building). I'm not going to explain this one, because if you need to ask then you're not ready to try this. However, I will suggest going with an intel i7 processor, the 16 virtual cores allow for much faster, smoother editing.

Sorry for the long post, had too much coffee today and I've finished all my work early so I'm bored as knobs. Just dropping some general information about how to set up a pc for video editing.

Forum Member
    internet broke and double-posted.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast