VideoAerialSystems

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Who are we and what do we do?

Engineer for Jesus Christ IBCrazy's Avatar

Who are we and what do we do?

Video Aerial Systems is dedicated to giving you only the best FPV experience. We focus on performance and customer support above all things. We are hobbyists just like you. We are the developers of many of our products and we use them in our own aircraft.

Admittedly we is mostly just me - IBCrazy. I work with a small group of innovative FPV pilots to bring you the FPV products you see. Most of the equipment is built by my own hands and tested in my labratory at home. In the future I hope to outsource the work and focus on full-time R&D. I plan to keep all manufacturing right here in the USA.

So why am I giving all of my "secrets" away? As a DIYer at heart, I never liked to be forced to buy something just to tear it apart and figure out how it worked (or in some cases, didn't work). Thus I do not want the FPV community to be forced to buy from me if they want to take on the challenge and build it themselves. After all, I'm one of you, a fellow video pilot, not some slick talking salesman.

Welcome to a new world of performance video piloting!

Alex Greve
    Video Aerial Systems LLC
    Ham radio: KJ4RIV
    If it is broken, fix it. if it isn't broken, I'll soon fix that.

videoaerialsystems.com - Performance video piloting

Free equipment verification service

I offer a free equipment verification service. Not sure your product is performing as it is supposed to? Send it to me and I will test it for you - FREE!

Why? Simple. The more we know, the better this hobby becomes. Besides, as I stated earlier, I hate buying something only to rip it apart and see how it works. If you guys send me your stuff, then we'll all know how it works. Basically, you're helping me with research and development.

Remeber that "1.3 GHz" patch antenna, that wasn't? I'd have been really mad at being swindled. How about the "diversity antenna splitter" or the Range Video Vee antenna? This service forces the other FPV vendors to stay honest, or at least brings to light the ones who are dishonest.

-Alex
    Last edited by IBCrazy; 23rd March 2011 at 12:47 PM.

Don't you worry about getting ripped off?

Yes, sometimes. There are plenty of people ready to jump on someone else's hard work and steal it for thier own sales. It's something I have to deal with. However, what I have found is that often they do not research or test at all and thus have fatal flaws in their products. They sell well because there are plenty of people who wnat cheap stuff or want something that looks good.

That's not what Video Aerial Systems is about. You can rest assured you are getting a tried and tested original product. Let the other guys rip me off if they want to. I hope for the sake of the people who buy it that those who ripped me off did it correctly. I'm interested in a better FPV community. Why else would I fully support competitor's products?

-Alex

Right on! Alex you are the man, I'm sure orders are going to come rushing in. From myself as well.
    FPV is not a crime!

executiveprinters.com
    printingplusfl.com

Team members

Sam (SS) - Sam is my QA (quality assurance) man. A true artist at heart, Sam can often be found making some of the most incredible tattoos you'll ever see. He puts the same craftsmanship into his work for VAS. When he's not at work, you can find him in a parking lot stunting his sport bike.

Jason (JG) - A young graphic designer an avid FPV pilot, Jason is in charge of the BlueBeam Ultra antenna line. When Jason isn't making antennas, he's out Flying FPV. He tends to push the limits much further than what most of us feel comfortable with... just to see if he can do it.

Darrel (DO)
    - Darrel is the oldest member of the team and has no problem reminding us of it daily (in jest). When he's not in the shop, he's often tinkering with some electronic device or building something fun.

Ryan (RG) - An adamant gamer, Ryan also works as a bartender most weekends at the local night club. Of course no matter how much we ask, he can't give us VIP treatment on a Saturday night. But it's ok, he does great work on the BluBeam line.

Liz (LH) - Liz is Jason's girlfriend who's just finished her psychology major at Liberty University. Liz generally works on the BlueBeam antenna line.

William Woody (W) Woody is our resident camper at the shop. He prefers the outdoors and to live as minimalistic as possible. While we find this weird... well... what can you say? Woody mostly works on the Crosshair antenna line but also does linkboards and dipoles.

Maggie (MP) - Sam's girlfreind of several years, Maggie joined us in September. Maggie is in charge of the helical antenna line. When she's not working, she models for Sam's photography projects.

Marc (MA) - Rejoining us in November is Marc. A very seasoned FPV pilot and Army veteran, Marc will be taking over management and training at VAS so IBCrazy can get back to R&D. When he's not flying, Marc spends time with his wife, 2 children and 2 dogs.

Alex (AG) - An electrical engineer, Alex is in charge of customer service, research and development, and verification testing. When not at work, you can find Alex rock climbing or riding his motorcycles.

Contract team members:

Aaron - A very seasoned part-time builder, Aaron makes the Moxon Rectangles as well as some of the Crosshairs, and the turnstile antennas. When he isn't working, Aaron can be found at home with his wife and children.

Ken (KP) - Ken is a you mechanical engineer who is responsible for moving VAS from the "home made" realm in to the professional realm. Most of the ABS formers were drafted by Ken. When he's not designing formers or power transformers (his full-time job), you can find him at home with his wife and two children.

Team members who moved on to bigger and better things:

Derek - Now an architect. Derek makes his home with his wife in North Carolina.

Jerrod - The man who set up the website and cut the original Specters you see us all fly, Jerrod typically does side work so he can spend more time with his son. We're still trying to get him to break the CNC foam cutter out of mothballs... We have work for it.

Nick - The original builder of the BluBeam omni line, Nick moved on to work in High Voltage special effects for Hollywood.

Eric - Eric made a career change about a year ago and decided to start his own company: SPEC UAV.
    Last edited by IBCrazy; 22nd November 2014 at 12:59 AM.

could quit if I wanted to volto's Avatar
    ---
    Last edited by volto; 6th July 2011 at 12:17 PM.

I'll take that as I have your permission, then?

Volto is the webmaster for the Video Aerial Systems site. If things mess up with the website, blame him

So when are you going to fly that CP patch and report the result?
    Last edited by IBCrazy; 6th July 2011 at 07:59 AM.

send me a cp patch and ill give a review

There are a few CP patches out there right now. Results have been good, but nobody including me have pushed the limits of it yet.

Since taking a sabattical from RCG I have taken the time to make a new airplane which I plan to use for testing some new CP patch designs. I am working on a dual feed, but it is still in the design phase. The one I have out now is a trimmed corners patch only available for 900MHz (although a few Beta units are out for 1.3 and 2.4GHz).

-Alex

could quit if I wanted to volto's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by IBCrazy View Post
    I'll take that as I have your permission, then?

Volto is the webmaster for the Video Aerial Systems site. If things mess up with the website, blame him

So when are you going to fly that CP patch and report the result?
    Of course you have permission! I'll take credit or blame where it's due.

I have tried the cp patch just around the house, and it works EXCELLENT. I had my brother walk the plane around the property (I have 3 acres) and the video never even glitched, even when he went behind a hill AND I pointed the patch at the ground - 1 inch off the ground. This thing is like black magic. I am waiting to get my tx back from a friend who was testing it on a scope. I am also putting together a long range plane to test it's limits... although I don't have UHF so I am sure I will reach the limits of the rc before video.

I am about to go to the Colorado FPV fly in this weekend so hopefully I can give it a good range test there. If my plane isn't up to it, I am sure someone else's will be, (probably Daemon).

I am hoping like hell I will get my radio back before this weekend, it's getting down to the wire :S