Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Beginner pilot needs help selecting FPV frequency

Beginner pilot needs help selecting FPV frequency

I am a beginner in the FPV world. I'm having trouble understanding and choosing a frequency. Can anyone suggest a website or provide some direction on how to navigate through this? Any help is appreciated.

Choosing a frequency will more or less be determined by what kind of aircraft you want to use and what sort of flying you intend on doing...

However you have already found the best website for information on FPV and FPV systems.

There are plenty of tutorials and the like on here (FPVLab) it is just a matter of reading through them

Here check this out for starters ---> http://fpvlab.com/forums/showthread.php?116-FPV-PILOT-TRAINING-CENTER-YOUR-ROAD-TO-FPV-SUCCESS

As a starter I always suggest using a standard 2.4ghz radio with a good frequency hopping system (FrSky is my fav)
    and 5.8ghz for the video.

Reasons?
    5.8ghz doesn't interfer with stuff on board the aircraft as much.
    This is the least expensive option
    Getting a clean video signal requires more or less LOS which means that you won't be flying out of your range of control or experience
    it's just easy to set up and it gets you in the air really quickly.

What are you flying, do you have any FPV gear yet, & what's your budget?
    Volantex Raptor v1
    Blade Nano qx FPV
    Hoverthings VC-450 camo frame with DJI NAZA M v1 (no GPS)

RMRC-600xv flight camera & Mobius HD recording camera on tilt gimbal & RMRC 1.3GHz 300mW vtx
    RMRC vrx with upgraded SAW filter, 1.3GHz optimized 8dBi patch antenna, Lumenier DX600 dvr, & Skyzone goggles
    Turnigy 9xr radio connected to Saitek x52 joystick & throttle set with EZuhf & 8 channel diversity reciever, or DX7s/DX5e

Navigator
    Quote Originally Posted by Carbon View Post
    As a starter I always suggest using a standard 2.4ghz radio with a good frequency hopping system (FrSky is my fav)
    and 5.8ghz for the video.

Reasons?
    5.8ghz doesn't interfer with stuff on board the aircraft as much.
    This is the least expensive option
    Getting a clean video signal requires more or less LOS which means that you won't be flying out of your range of control or experience
    it's just easy to set up and it gets you in the air really quickly.
    That's pretty much, how I started in fpv. I started simple and then slowly upgraded my gear, as I gained more experience and needed more range.
    Last edited by Infiltrator; 7th November 2014 at 09:51 AM.
    You have to learn the rules of the game. And then you have to play better than anyone else. - Albert Einstein

As has already been mentioned 2.4Ghz for control and 5.8Ghz for video, 5.8 gear is cheap, lots of choices, and with a decent clover leaf antenna (or helical etc) you will get good range, more than enough for the majority of multirotor systems out there.

Don't try to fly miles away when you start out, learn to fly near by and move up.

Hi guys - I'd also recommend checking out this online range calculator http://maxmyrange.com. You can try out various combos of frequency, power, antennas and receiver sensitivity and see how they affect your range. The advanced mode also plots range against key parameters (e.g. range against frequency) so you can see how changing one parameter affects range. Enjoy!

Navigator
    I am just getting started as well, have to take my ham radio test next week. But I had been trying to buy the equipment on EBay. Did not have alot of luck and alot of what is online is very hit or miss. I went for a 5.8 GHz immersion system from a reputable seller here in the US. My nest purchase is a 8 inch monitor since the goggles are way out of my price range. Other frequencies I may look into later on, but I may consider the 1.2-1.3 Ghz later on, if I really get into it.

Navigator
    Quote Originally Posted by Mauijoe98 View Post
    (Skip)
    My nest purchase is a 8 inch monitor since the goggles are way out of my price range.
    (Skip)
    Make sure that you have some way to deal with glare and reflections if you use a monitor. You may also want to check out some of the very inexpensive Hobby King headset rigs. They work OK and when you move onto a set of goggles you can use them for friends to watch.

It's also worth checking out some of the budget box style headsets. The quantums are completely worth the money

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast