FPVLAB

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Z3 Build

Forum Member

Z3 Build

OK well I figure I will do a little build log for my new Z3. I probably wont go to in-depth because there are already some good build logs out there for the Z3. I will probably just try and stay focused on the build methods and and techniques that I used and that other people did not. First here is my planned setup.
    Storm OSD
    1.3ghz for video
    Dragonlink for control
    NTM 35-36 1400kv motor and H-king 50amp esc
    HS-485hb servos
    Now my plan is to run a duel camera setup with a video switcher. A pzo420 on the front and then a HD19 on a pan servo slightly behind. This will allow me to fly with the pzo420 well leaving the recording cam pointed to the side or back If I want that shot. Other than that I have some plans for hassle free wire connections from the wing to fuselage that I will elaborate on later. Any way here come the build pictures

Here is a picture of the wings and fuselage with the spars

got the spars marked out and cut them with a hack saw and water. I used tape so that the spars would not split.

Next I tacked the spars in place with hot glue (for this build I am primarily going to use hot glue instead of CA because I like it better and it is what I have atm.) I made sure that all the tubes lined up with the inner tubs when I tacked them in.

Her I test fit it all to make sure it all fits before I gorilla glued it.

And the gorilla glue bubbling up like mad. I used something around a 3 to 1 ratio of gorilla glue to wood glue.

That is all I have so far. I'll add more as I go
    Last edited by wyll; 23rd October 2014 at 01:45 PM.
    [SIZE=3][COLOR=#9932cc][FONT=Courier New]If you didn't build it, don't fly it!!!![/FONT][/COLOR][/SIZE]
    also

My Stuff : [url]https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC9FobHoDnBoDaKsp9U5qyjg/feed?view_as=subscriber[/url]

Forum Member
    I'm interested in how you do your pan setup. I'm planning on getting a z3 soon and was thinking of something similar. I was thinking of mobius + boardcam on a pan only.

Forum Member
    Interesting. My plan is to have a board cam on the nose and than an HD19 on the pan. Both will have video out and than I will run a video switcher between the 2. I already have a servo that I modded for continues rotation so it should not be to hard to get it setup. All go more into detail when I acutely get to that point in the build.
    [SIZE=3][COLOR=#9932cc][FONT=Courier New]If you didn't build it, don't fly it!!!![/FONT][/COLOR][/SIZE]
    also

My Stuff : [url]https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC9FobHoDnBoDaKsp9U5qyjg/feed?view_as=subscriber[/url]

Forum Member
    I got a bunch more done on the build. First I finished installing the spars and than I gorilla glued the lighting channels. Some people have suggested just leaving them open and laming over them but I think that leaving them open makes the plane a bit weaker so I just put a GG wood glue mix in their just like the main wing spar and it seemed to work well.

I also glued on the motor mount, and glued on the rest of the fiber glass spars but I don't have any pics. Next I got all the GG cut and did a bit of sanding and than went on to do some spackling

I just used the generic ace brand light spackl and a old card to apply it.

Letting it dry outside

thats all I got so far. Next I want to do a few more coats of spackl and then on to some painting
    Last edited by wyll; 23rd October 2014 at 02:00 PM.
    also

Forum Member
    How's your build going? I'm also building the Z3. Just finished lam and now waiting on parts.

Forum Member
    Good but slow. I have not had much time to work on it because I have been very busy with school. I I think I am on my 3rd or 4th coat of spackle and it is finally looking smooth enough for my liking. Yesterday I got some plastidip so I will probably start painting it today or tomorrow. I also picked up a bunch of shielded wire at a second had store yesterday so that should be fun for the build. Any way I told myself that, on this build I would go slow and not spar any detail, and that combined with going to high school and going through the IB system (the international baccalaureate system, basically all your classes are AP classes) means that it will probably take my a month, or so, to get it don.
    also

Forum Member
    Right on, I spent a fair bit of time with the spackle also. I told myself I was going to take my time also but once i start building I cant wait to get it in the air.

Forum Member
    Ya I'm sure that urge will take over at some point but I am trying to resist it as much as I can. I have a half day tomorrow and than the weekend so I should be able to get a bunch done then.
    also

Forum Member
    OK I have got a bunch don in the last week but I have not had time to post the pics and stuff. Any way the first thing I did was cut out these little rectangles of plywood for the connections between the wings and the fuselage.

than I cut out the space for the servos and marked out where to put the pieces of wood

than I cut out a space for the wood and a cavity behind it with just a hobby knife

than I got the actual connectors installed in the wood

and test fit them in the plane,

they look good

then I did a little electronics layout to see where I want to put stuff.

I also cut out this little piece of foam

which fits nicely in the front of the Z3, this is where I am going put my pan system

also

Forum Member
    What servo are you planning on using for your pan? I'm ordering stuff for my Z3 now and haven't done a servo driven pan before. I'm planning on just mounting a plate on top of the servo for the mobius and boardcam to attach to. I doubt it needs crazy amounts of torque.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast