FPVLAB

Page 3 of 31 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: 1st Cockpit Ground Station build

Since you are ripping it apart and putting it in a joystick you will be able to use any 3s or 12 volt battery now!

Soooooo Your really gunna do this?!?!

Awesome!
    Brett Hays
    JosephOregon.com
    flitetest.com/articles/fpv-full-scale-cockpit-ground-station-w-42-tv

BTW.......when it comes time to tear into your radio and hook up the wires I can help you with what wire is what. I have them all mapped out already so you dont need to mess around wondering where to start!!
    Brett Hays
    JosephOregon.com

I don't know, you might find me at your doorstep like a lost dog next weekend. LOL
    Volantex Raptor v1
    Blade Nano qx FPV
    Hoverthings VC-450 camo frame with DJI NAZA M v1 (no GPS)

RMRC-600xv flight camera & Mobius HD recording camera on tilt gimbal & RMRC 1.3GHz 300mW vtx
    RMRC vrx with upgraded SAW filter, 1.3GHz optimized 8dBi patch antenna, Lumenier DX600 dvr, & Skyzone goggles
    Turnigy 9xr radio connected to Saitek x52 joystick & throttle set with EZuhf & 8 channel diversity reciever, or DX7s/DX5e

Not a prob. LOL
    Brett Hays
    JosephOregon.com

As far as the tx screen goes, do you think that's something I really need close by or could I just put it in the ground station? Also, I was thinking it would be nice to have one "cord" coming out of the joystick, & one out of the throttle, & have "outlets" on the side of the ground station that they can plug into. A while back I saw some connectors, I can't remember what they were called, & they let you plug in & then turn a bit so that nobody could just trip on them & yank them out. I thought that would be functional & clean.
    Volantex Raptor v1
    Blade Nano qx FPV

RMRC-600xv flight camera & Mobius HD recording camera on tilt gimbal & RMRC 1.3GHz 300mW vtx
    RMRC vrx with upgraded SAW filter, 1.3GHz optimized 8dBi patch antenna, Lumenier DX600 dvr, & Skyzone goggles
    Turnigy 9xr radio connected to Saitek x52 joystick & throttle set with EZuhf & 8 channel diversity reciever, or DX7s/DX5e

Your going to need about 25 contacts in the plug......There are 25 wires (aprox) to contend with. The computer ones at radio shack have provisions to lock into place. They have 9, 15, and 25 pin plugs. They are like the VGA plug on a computer or TV. It all depends on what channels you want to put on which control. You will want to start there......But also.....in the interest of expanability you might as well wire every button on both controls (stick and throttle). That way all you have to do is swap wires at the buss to determine if the stick trigger fires the missiles or a button on the throttle........errrr or whatever. Anyhoooooo.....point is that you will want to wire them all and run the wires right up to the buss. From the buss then the wires go to the mother board. From the mother board to the buss is at the very least 25 wires if i remember right. The positive and negative are the first two and then each channel function from there.......So you will actually need at least two of the buss bars from radio shack. The each have 12 contacts but you can just wire the negative or positive without going through the buss bar.
    Brett Hays
    JosephOregon.com

Oh and you probably don't need the screen close but it will HAVE to be where ever you locate the mother board because the screen cable is a short ribon cable only about one inch long or so.
    Brett Hays
    JosephOregon.com

I think I'll put it in the ground station then. If I use that stacking tool box idea do you think everything would fit in the top compartment & still have room for the screen, dvr, & EZuhf to be mounted on the inside of the lid? If not, any thoughts on where I should put all the electronics?

Those electronics parts sound like Greek to me. I don't suppose you have a link to them?

By the way, everything's ordered. I should have the chair, joystick, & radio all next week.
    Volantex Raptor v1
    Blade Nano qx FPV

They are just plugs you can buy at radio shack but I will try to find a link for you. Chances are you have seen them before if you have ever messed around with the back of a computer and/or hooked up a monitor to a computer. You are just going to have to build your own cable is all. Stupid easy once you see what they are. I have cable I will donate to your cause so you don't have to buy any. I have also found cable with plugs already installed at second hand stores for like a buck. They are pretty common really.

Building your own cables is the awesome way to go for several reasons mostly because you can customize the length, you can easily map the wires by color code (the cable I have has 25 different colored wires bundled and shielded). I came across the spool of 25 wire strand cable at a flea market and picked up the whole spool for 5 bucks. The cable is aprox the diameter of my pinky finger.
    Brett Hays
    JosephOregon.com

Honestly if you are really serious about building one it would be a really great idea for you to come check out how I did all this so you don't have to reinvent the wheel. It will make life easy for you in the long run.......LOL. At the very least it wont seem so daunting. We could even modify your flight controls in a weekend........Just-a-thought!
    Brett Hays
    JosephOregon.com

Page 3 of 31 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast