FPVLAB

Page 2 of 31 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: 1st Cockpit Ground Station build

So now ya tell me.

Now you're making me nervous. I suppose even if the first flight's a total disaster at least I can learn from it.
    Volantex Raptor v1
    Blade Nano qx FPV
    Hoverthings VC-450 camo frame with DJI NAZA M v1 (no GPS)

RMRC-600xv flight camera & Mobius HD recording camera on tilt gimbal & RMRC 1.3GHz 300mW vtx
    RMRC vrx with upgraded SAW filter, 1.3GHz optimized 8dBi patch antenna, Lumenier DX600 dvr, & Skyzone goggles
    Turnigy 9xr radio connected to Saitek x52 joystick & throttle set with EZuhf & 8 channel diversity reciever, or DX7s/DX5e

LOL... My 3rd flight was a disaster and the first two were awesome.
    When I built and used my first setup ( pre cgs name) I couldn't find anyone else flying like this for ideas on how to go about it and I felt like I was inventing the wheel. then I fount Bretts setup and a another called the helichair. Wish I had those people around before I started because It would have made the whole thing so much easier.

So your very lucky, and to get some help from Brett will be awesome for you. Thanks Brett.
    Last edited by MICK B.; 16th October 2014 at 04:55 AM.

You should watch Brett's initial takeoffs and landings with landing gear from his CGS. Man that was fun to watch! He smacked it into the bushes all the time :P

Just make sure you use it with something sturdy first. Get the basics up first. Expand later. That way you can troubleshoot every system if something stops working. In the end you'll have an immensely complex machine, but that goes for everything. Long range fpv planes are pretty complex too. But because you build it yourself you'll know exactly how it works. Just make sure the basics (controls/video) work first, then add the bells & whistles
    Cheers,
    Sven
    Quote Originally Posted by c5galaxy engineer View Post
    Zee is wrong, Grasshopper is ALWAYS right!

For me it started as a childhood fantasy from the moment I saw my first R/C airplane up close. Then it turned into a more complex adulthood fantasy with motion and a dome screen. Then a few years ago I realized that technology had actually caught up with some of my ''fantasies'' so I started calling them ''ideas'' instead.....lol. It happened at a time in my life when I had a little extra money and a lot of time with not much to do (retired). Ideas turned into plans and then I pulled the trigger on some FPV gear and the Forcefly system with the joystick as well. That sat in my workshop for a couple of years unemployed on the ''back burner''. Then about this time a couple of years ago off the shelf it came and I started messing around with it determined to figure it all out and start building the chair it was going to mount to.

I searched around the internet for help and didn't find really ANYTHING related to what I wanted to do. I did find Mikey's R/C was building a chair to sit in with conventional controls but, while cool, it was not at all what I would consider an immersive environment. I did find some help and ideas in the computer Sim Pit industry. I didn't know anything about Mick's project ''Douwn unda'' and he contacted me when he found one of my videos. We chatted a bit and before long he had a blog on FPV Lab. During all of this Scott had made a trip down to fly with me and actually got some stick time in my CGS. All I can say is he was hooked. Within about a month he had bought a trailer and started working on his own vision of a CGS. Scott and Mick had some catching up to do but they did it. Mick purchased his wrecked R-22 cab and started restoring it to make his cockpit. Mick was the first (as far as I know) to modify an actual aircraft cockpit. I think I had the first operational fully immersive FPV cockpit with Scott and Mick close behind. Mick may have been messing around with his chair earlier than my cockpit came on line......not sure on the timing there.

Anyhooooooo..........The three of us have had a very friendly and very supportive competition ever since. To be honest I would love to travel to AU to meet Mick face to face, fly with him and check out his CGS. Maybe someday. Scott and I chat and fly with each other when we can and have developed ideas and systems for our CGS's together. We both use stripped down 9XR's and this has been the best idea we had together because we are developing a bank of knowledge that the two of us can go to when we are stumped as well as other people like you that will be developing ideas to put in the bank or withdrew as needed. It has been awesome. As more and more peeps come to the table with their CGS ideas we will all benefit! I really wish Mick was way closer......lol.

Kelly, you know that you, me and Scott will all be in the same place at the same time one of these days. During your build , like Mick said, you will get very up close and personal help from two of the three known and/or active CGS builders in the world. You got it made compared to what I had.......LOL! I am not saying it cant be done without our help but we have some experience a builder can draw from. Even people like Reliku (among others) who haven't built one yet but have been around and active in discussions since the very first post in my blog have been a source of great ideas and help in those ''stuck'' times. The whole FPVLab is like that though.

Kelly I am really glad to see you on board and hope that we have at least one more person show up at our ''Worlds CGS pilots meet'' next summer. Last year's turn out saw a full of 2/3 of all the CGS pilots in the world show up with their CGS's............Yup, it was just Scott and Me.......Mick bailed on us for some reason......LOL!
    Plan on a trip across the state next Spring to Wallowa County.
    Brett Hays
    JosephOregon.com
    flitetest.com/articles/fpv-full-scale-cockpit-ground-station-w-42-tv

Kelly, considering you're probably about the same amount of distance to get to your location as it is from Brett's, we could eventually all join up over at Brett's for the next great meet. Just as Brett opened up the invitation, I'd do the same if you're ever up in the Seattle area, I'm just a couple hours north on Whidbey. It has been kind of tough to get him to make the trip over himself considering I'm up to 3 visits so far. Mick would be a little more difficult logistically, can understand the problems.

Looking forward to see what kind of build his is going to develop into and I've been at it for just over a year as compared to Brett's additional year tacked on. Even Jim Lee has something in the works over on Anacortes, just a simple ground station setup in an old surplus Army truck, can't wait for that one.

Between all of us building, we have been amassing a stockpile of info and resources and it gets only easier to build one after the initial pioneers have laid out the ground work. Always looking for innovation and what you can bring to the table as well, but most of all, getting the annual event going to have us together in one place at one time. Should have enough time over the winter to get enough completed, just keep posting updates. Good Luck.
    KF7TSE

youtube.com/channel/UCzoOpmJK8_WOlBl65sZAfGw
    vimeo.com/airtruksrus/videos

Airtruksrus Cockpit Ground Station Systems.
    Open for business
    Always under revision to make it better.

Well, I am totally jazzed to do this. I've always wanted to fly too. I never thought I'd actually get to. Well, I guess technically I'm still not flying, but it's as close as you can get with your butt still on the ground. Flying is so freakin' expensive! Several years ago, back when I still had my cabinet shop, I was looking into flying ultra lights & paragliding. Even that was $15k to dabble in. It's not exactly a hobby you want to skimp on either. You're still taking your life into your hands. Then I found these FPV flying videos on YouTube & I was hooked. As a kid I played lots of flying video games & have always wanted to FPV with a joystick. I can't thank you guys enough for the encouragement & help! I know this first version isn't gonna be up to the scale of you guys, but on the next one I may give you a run for your money.

Personally, I'd love to be able to do this for a living. Another love of mine over the years has been acting. I've been doing it since high school. I've been in all kinds of plays & worked on a movie set as a production assistant too. I even took film acting lessons for a while. Of course, that got derailed when I met my ex-wife, went to QLD, & got married, but that's a very long & ugly story. At least I got 2 wonderful little girls out of the deal.

Anyways, I can see a CGS setup in a trailer with multiple screens shooting video for TV or movies. People are starting to use multi-rotors for filming now, but I've never seen them with a trailer setup. Ya know, something the director can come in & sit down & see the shot. Well, I guess I'm getting ahead of myself, but it is fun to have dreams! Sometimes they turn into goals & then into reality.

On a practical note, I've been bidding for a joystick on Ebay, but I lost. Seems like the bids go up higher than I thought. It was over $90 plus like $15 for shipping. I'm not sure I'll bother. I saw a new set for $118 on Amazon & I get free shipping. Doesn't seem Ebay's worth the hassle for used when new is not even an extra $20.
    Volantex Raptor v1
    Blade Nano qx FPV

RMRC-600xv flight camera & Mobius HD recording camera on tilt gimbal & RMRC 1.3GHz 300mW vtx
    RMRC vrx with upgraded SAW filter, 1.3GHz optimized 8dBi patch antenna, Lumenier DX600 dvr, & Skyzone goggles
    Turnigy 9xr radio connected to Saitek x52 joystick & throttle set with EZuhf & 8 channel diversity reciever, or DX7s/DX5e

Oh, and that "Worlds CGS pilots meet'' next summer sounds AWESOME! Maybe Mick could get his CGS over on a cargo ship. Or...maybe we can all talk our wives into an exotic Australian get away!

Just to confirm, this is the radio right? Mode 2 - no module.

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...arehouse_.html
    Last edited by KellyR; 16th October 2014 at 02:51 PM.
    Volantex Raptor v1
    Blade Nano qx FPV

That's the very radio Kelly, just looks like the price got bumped another $20 more than when I ordered both last year. Tell you what, when Brett discovered this radio, it turned out to be the perfect combination if tearing it apart to connect to external controls just because of its simplicity. Just run the cal function when done, establish a profile for the plane and off to fly.

You can make it as simple or complicated as you want, the limitation is the imagination.
    KF7TSE

youtube.com/channel/UCzoOpmJK8_WOlBl65sZAfGw
    vimeo.com/airtruksrus/videos

Airtruksrus Cockpit Ground Station Systems.
    Open for business
    Always under revision to make it better.

Yeah, if you order from the International Warehouse it's $50. This is from the Seattle warehouse. I figure it's worth the extra $20. I think shipping would be more & I'd get it in January from China. I'll order it now.
    Volantex Raptor v1
    Blade Nano qx FPV

Okay, it's on it's way. $20 extra & it doesn't even come with a battery.

I'll order the chair & joystick from Amazon tonight when I get home. I remembered I have a $50 gift card to apply.
    Last edited by KellyR; 16th October 2014 at 04:55 PM.
    Volantex Raptor v1
    Blade Nano qx FPV

Page 2 of 31 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast