FPVLAB

Page 124 of 130 FirstFirst ... 2474114122123124125126 ... LastLast
Results 1,231 to 1,240 of 1300

Thread: Deep Reaper

Navigator
    I thing very patient is a little bit of an understatement; been trying to get this plane back in the air since like January... Crappy weather and work were getting in the way at first, then I took a dive into multi rotors as you need less space to fly, now I keep pushing my projects aside to work on things for other people. It really slows down progress. But finally I will get this plane back in the air! My goal is to get to fly I. Some clouds before the end of the year. I just need some clouds, nice weather and some time away from work and hopefully I will hit that goal.

The bonus side of taking so long is I had to re-trace my steps multiple times to get back on track, so I've like quadruple checked everything.

Can't wait to see how it flies, it has 2center extensions making a huge area for gear and increasing wing area. It should just float through the air
    Quote Originally Posted by Avi_Y View Post
    AbsoluteAltitudes,
    You are a very patient man.
    If I had this laying in my house I would have got this done a lot faster... :-)
    Looking forward to see how it flies!
    Last edited by AbsoluteAltitudes; 3rd October 2014 at 07:14 PM.
    Rexnoobs: Hey watch out for that power line
    Me: you mean the one my tricopter is dangling from...

Navigator

It has begun...

Taken just prior to cutting the slots for the spars. The printed directions specify that the slots be cut 2" back from the leading edge, while Lee's video recommends 1.5", although it appears to be referring to the Grim Reaper, not the DR/Gladiator. So, I opted for 2" back. Mostly since I'd already marked up the EPP.

The front spar placement will affect battery placement, and leads me to wonder whether I should use the recommended motor mount placement or move it slightly forward. I want to get this right the first time. :-) I did read here that placing the batteries last is a good idea since they're the heaviest items on the plane. I'd like to avoid having to add any lead weight if at all possible!

Gear for this build:
    2x 4000mAh batteries
    3536 1800kv motor
    9x6 APC style or 10x6 folding prop
    APM 2.5/Minim OSD/Power Module/Neo 6M GPS
    RMRC 400mw 1.3Ghz video tx
    433Mhz UHF Dipole rx antenna
    Hawkeye rx
    Corona MG servos
    600TVL "mini" flight cam
    Mobius HD cam (to start) GoPro soon...

Thoughts on what my CG might be like with this setup?
    Last edited by GawainReif; 7th October 2014 at 10:32 PM.

Navigator
    Take a fresh roll of masking tape and stick everything to the wing. This way you can place everything to get the CG right before cutting bays in the foam.
    I cut the motor position as per the manual. Laminated the wing, and then balanced everything by moving stuff around with masking tape.

Navigator
    AbsoluteAltitudes, any update?

Quote Originally Posted by GawainReif View Post
    Thoughts on what my CG might be like with this setup?
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2311 (Medium).JPG 
Views:	98 
Size:	112.9 KB 
ID:	52624

If you look at mine, the front spars are right where I have put the black pinstripe tape, about 2".

Lee is always quite conservative with his CGs because they mostly fly LOS. A flying wing will require reflex to fly but the further forward the CG, the more reflex you need and hence the more drag. I would try and push the CG back as far as you can without the plane being unflyable. Mine's about 10" but 10.5" may be better.

Navigator
    Siv,
    I am not sure I understand you. Do you claim that flying FPV is easier and therefore you can get along with a not optimal plane?

Navigator

Thanks Siv and Avi. I've got the spars glued in top and bottom. The masking tape shows the approximate shape of the cutout and I've laid the motor mount on top temporarily to get an idea of the approximate location. I plan to cut it wide enough to use the 10x6 folding prop (which is really more like 10.5" with the spinner) but I will probably start off with the 9x6. I have an NTM Prop Drive 35-36 1800kv motor. The shaft points backwards from what I'm used to using... Has anybody mounted the motor this way with the motor placed "inboard" of the mount as opposed to having it hanging off the back?
    Last edited by GawainReif; 8th October 2014 at 10:40 PM.

Navigator
    In order for the motor not to generate thrust that will change your flight direction upon throttle changes, you need it to be level with the wing. Using this motor mount, the motor must hang from the back.

FPV Freak
    Well i would say its better to mount it on the top and you can change the motor angle just by bending the motor mount.
    Actually i would recommend you to do that as your motor will run much cooler and you would have less vibration if you mount the prop on the shaft itself. The other advantage is the ground clearance of you prop while landing. It will still hit the ground but not as bad as the original mounting position. And you don't need to un mount the motor mount every time you have to change the motor or angle

And for 1800 KV motor it think 9x6 is the max you should use or even 9x5 or 8x6. the 10 inch might be a overkill.

Quote Originally Posted by GawainReif View Post

Thanks Siv and Avi. I've got the spars glued in top and bottom. The masking tape shows the approximate shape of the cutout and I've laid the motor mount on top temporarily to get an idea of the approximate location. I plan to cut it wide enough to use the 10x6 folding prop (which is really more like 10.5" with the spinner) but I will probably start off with the 9x6. I have an NTM Prop Drive 35-36 1800kv motor. The shaft points backwards from what I'm used to using... Has anybody mounted the motor this way with the motor placed "inboard" of the mount as opposed to having it hanging off the back?
    ZII (1.3 GHZ) (40.1 km), Hercules Pusher (1.3 GHZ) (23.8 km), Sky Hunter (1.3 GHZ) (19.9 km), Deep Reaper (1.2 GHZ) (13.4 km), Penguin (1.2 GHZ) (10.5 km), ZIII (1.3 GHZ), Titan (1.3 GHZ) (LOS low altitude), BobCat pusher (5.8 GHZ) (LOS), Assassin 5.8 Ghz)
    DJI Flamewheel 450 (1.3 GHZ), DART 400 1.3 GHZ, DART 250 5.8 GHZ

Navigator
    Zaraja,
    I think I'll try your approach to motor mounting. I've been playing around with various motors, and it's a PITA to take the motor mount out each time. Also, rotor clearance is not such a bad idea, although I am not sure how useful another 2 cm are.

Page 124 of 130 FirstFirst ... 2474114122123124125126 ... LastLast