Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tracking Base Station

Navigator

Tracking Base Station

Hi All,

I emailed an expert in FPV and asked if he had a full tracking base station for sale. He said he used mostly backpacks and satchels. He recommended I ask in the forums. So...

We are a group of electrical engineers at Syracuse University. We've developed a low cost HD video link. We would like to begin some range tests. We need a tracking base station. (We'd like to transmit standard definition analog video simultaneously with our HD video.) We can assemble our own, but a ready, tested, working system is more appealing. Time is worth a bit more to us at the moment.

Anyone looking to sell their full, working, tracking base station setup? We are interested in other portions of the system as well. LRS, OSD, etc.

Please list your system and name your price. The sooner the better.

Thanks,

Phased.

Navigator
    It took me over 2 days to build and calibrate this antenna tracker, it's not for sale but it wasn't difficult to build it at all. I'd encourage you to build one yourself.

Ground station questions

Id like to know if anyone can answer this question?

can a civilian ground station tracker (like the ones most used in rec fpv use) be able to track the aircraft if the ground station is moving itself? as like on a ship.

any help with this would be fantastic.

j

Biggles, I think the arduino style ones that use a two-part system on a pair of separate tripods would work on a ship. Instead of gps one side uses a scanner that pans back and forth looking for the strongest signal, then the main receiver adjusts it's azimuth to point at that signal. Pretty sure that was arduino based anyway... I saw it on the FPV soaring thread a while back, but I'm in no way an expert on antenna tracking. I don't even own an antenna tracker, just commenting on something I saw that might be helpful for you.

Good luck.
    "Pretending to know everything closes doors to finding out what's really there..." ~ Neil deGrasse Tyson
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    [TBS Discovery, E-Flite UMX Radian, Airfield P-51 (confiscated from destructive brother), Syma X-1, ZMR 250 Carbon w/CC3D, Lanyu ASW-28 ( Flying work in progress - FPV Brain powered soon! ]

Actually, I just found the thread again. It was in the DIY section as: Antenna Tracker - Arduino powered, no GPS needed!

Check it out, pretty cool stuff.
    "Pretending to know everything closes doors to finding out what's really there..." ~ Neil deGrasse Tyson
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    [TBS Discovery, E-Flite UMX Radian, Airfield P-51 (confiscated from destructive brother), Syma X-1, ZMR 250 Carbon w/CC3D, Lanyu ASW-28 ( Flying work in progress - FPV Brain powered soon! ]

Tracker

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Dirtblender View Post
    Actually, I just found the thread again. It was in the DIY section as: Antenna Tracker - Arduino powered, no GPS needed!

Check it out, pretty cool stuff.
    Thanks cpt dirt blender.
    U gotta love these forums to find information.
    I will look at arduino and see what can do.
    Really appreciate it
    Cheers

Navigator
    Quote Originally Posted by Biggles View Post
    Thanks cpt dirt blender.
    U gotta love these forums to find information.
    I will look at arduino and see what can do.
    Really appreciate it
    Cheers
    I found something that might interest you.

https://code.google.com/p/opendiyantracker/

I'm just scratching the surface with arduino myself Biggles, but they seem to have some pretty incredible potential. Good luck with your project!

Navigator
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Dirtblender View Post
    I'm just scratching the surface with arduino myself Biggles, but they seem to have some pretty incredible potential. Good luck with your project!
    Not just Arduino but Raspberry Pi too. These boards have a huge potential.

Tracker

Quote Originally Posted by Infiltrator View Post
    Not just Arduino but Raspberry Pi too. These boards have a huge potential.
    Problem for me is I have no experience in programming this kind of stuff. Where I am it's hardto find anyone doing fpv. So een my intro I to basic fpv has been a steep learning curve.

Im trying to figure out how to get a system to compensate for movement on a ship and it does look like it may be possible with out going to defence grade trackers ?

Ill keep reading and try to guage if I could take on something like this?

Thanks to all for the links.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast