Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5

Thread: My SAR quadcopter

Quote Originally Posted by FPVflyer View Post
    Hi guys,
    here a small update, today I spent the afternoon to design a better adapter to install the FLIR on the gimbal of Discovery PRO as cleas as my capabilities.
    Stay tuned!
    Might I make a suggestion?

Build a retainer for that FLIR.

Get your hands on some Kevlar kite string and a couple of 26 gauge ring terminals and build a retainer for your FLIR using two ring terminals, minus the insulators and a few inches of the Kevlar kite string.

To begin building the retainer take your string and near one of the ends loop it like you are going to form a knot, but unlike a knot which would have a single loop bring it around five or six times, the reason being you want to make a fat knot, one that is larger then the connectors crimp sleeve for the wire.

With that complete thread the string through the first connector and then into the other connector and duplicate the knot process.

Take your now unfinished retainer and determine if you have built it to the correct length, you want it long enough to reach from one of the Torx screws on the rear of the FLIR, to a stout location on your airframe and long enough to not impede the operation of the gimbal, but short enough it doesn't flap in the wind during operations.

Once you have the proper length, pull the knots slightly away from the terminals (1/8 inch) and using a toothpick or other small object fill the crimp sleeves with a standard two part slow setting epoxy, pull the knots to the edge of the crimp sleeve and give them a dap of epoxy to retain them in place and to prevent them from un-knotting.

Let the retainer sit overnight allowing the epoxy to cure, then retain your FLIR by removing one of the Torx screws from the rear of the unit, place the ring terminal over the hole in the camera put the Torx screw through it, tighten it back up, then anchor the other end to your airframe.

Now in the un-likely event you have a mount failure, you are not relying on the cameras wiring to maybe not retain the FLIR.

It's one thing to lose video, it's another to bring her back home and discover your $3K+ camera is no longer on-board.

I didn't have a ring terminal here at home so I used a spade terminal but I think you will get the idea from that.

Wayne
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	TAU.jpg 
Views:	72 
Size:	224.8 KB 
ID:	56009   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ring.jpg 
Views:	66 
Size:	6.8 KB 
ID:	56011   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	knot.jpg 
Views:	63 
Size:	223.3 KB 
ID:	56012   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	knot1.jpg 
Views:	82 
Size:	151.0 KB 
ID:	56013   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	knot2.jpg 
Size:	234.6 KB 
ID:	56014  
    Last edited by Channel 1; 20th December 2014 at 05:50 PM.
    Everybody loves a bunny.

Quote Originally Posted by Channel 1 View Post
    Might I make a suggestion?

Build a retainer for that FLIR.

Get your hands on some Kevlar kite string and a couple of 26 gauge ring terminals and build a retainer for your FLIR using two ring terminals, minus the insulators and a few inches of the Kevlar kite string.

To begin building the retainer take your string and near one of the ends loop it like you are going to form a knot, but unlike a knot which would have a single loop bring it around five or six times, the reason being you want to make a fat knot, one that is larger then the connectors crimp sleeve for the wire.

With that complete thread the string through the first connector and then into the other connector and duplicate the knot process.

Take your now unfinished retainer and determine if you have built it to the correct length, you want it long enough to reach from one of the Torx screws on the rear of the FLIR, to a stout location on your airframe and long enough to not impede the operation of the gimbal, but short enough it doesn't flap in the wind during operations.

Once you have the proper length, pull the knots slightly away from the terminals (1/8 inch) and using a toothpick or other small object fill the crimp sleeves with a standard two part slow setting epoxy, pull the knots to the edge of the crimp sleeve and give them a dap of epoxy to retain them in place and to prevent them from un-knotting.

Let the retainer sit overnight allowing the epoxy to cure, then retain your FLIR by removing one of the Torx screws from the rear of the unit, place the ring terminal over the hole in the camera put the Torx screw through it, tighten it back up, then anchor the other end to your airframe.

Now in the un-likely event you have a mount failure, you are not relying on the cameras wiring to maybe not retain the FLIR.

It's one thing to lose video, it's another to bring her back home and discover your $3K+ camera is no longer on-board.

I didn't have a ring terminal here at home so I used a spade terminal but I think you will get the idea from that.

Wayne
    Hi Channel,
    your suggestion is good, but what you don't see (actually you see in following photos) is that the 3d printed mount for the TAU is not only a plate under the camera, but it also has some spacers which form 1 piece all in one support and fit into the gimbal rails on the bottom side.
    To install the camera using this system you have to remove the top plate (the one with IMU) removing the 4 screws. put the camera in, and then screw the top plate in again. So the flir is safely secured with 8 screws (4 top, 4 bottom), it's physically impossible to loose it in flight, maybe in a crash. I would much more put a safety on the dampeners on backside, but I tested every possible extreme flight condition with a gopro on this gimbal, and I never lost it in flight.

But I'll keep your suggestion for eventually a future camera where I can't use a system like in this one, it's a bit tricky, but will surely safe the expensive components

Btw, I changed the wiring on it, now the FLIR is powered from the IMU (Note, you can't do it if you don't take out some load from the build in DCDC on the bottom plate of the TBS Discovery Pro).

Thanks for your help!

Cya
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_6921.jpg 
Views:	74 
Size:	202.6 KB 
ID:	56040   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_6923.jpg 
Size:	171.5 KB 
ID:	56041  
    "RSSI on the OSD? No, it just make me nervous..."

Correction: No more nervous with TBS Crossfire!

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5