Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: The VectorTank - L

So hereís the new and improved VectorTank. As I mentioned above I decided to swap FCs on both my tanks since the I think Vector is better for FPV flying. Swapping a Vector and a Pixhawk was a major surgical operation requiring nearly complete airframe disassembly and desoldering both of the PDBs to free each FC's individual power leads. That's the remnants of the Pixhawk Tank in the top of the photo. She's awaiting a few parts before I can proceed with reconstruction. That and I'm out of beer for the moment.

At any rate I took advantage of the depot-level maintenance opportunity to clean up some of my earlier construction mistakes, and letís face it - we all love messing around with our flying machines anyway, right?

Here she is after the build and test flights:

This weekís specs:
    • T-Motor MT2216 1100kv motors
    • Graupner 9x5 props
    • FrSky X8R receiver
    • Surveilzone Pixim Seawolf flight camera
    • Surveilzone compact 25x25 600tvl landing camera
    • DPCav dual camera switch
    • Mobius camera
    • Fatshark 250mw VTX
    • IBCrazy Airscrew 5.8 antenna
    • Strobon green/white flight strobe

ďLanding camera?Ē You betcha! Now I can see the ground before I smack into it.

I mounted the Vector GPS/compass on a 35mm standoff since the stock GPS mast wonít allow me to fit the tank in the pelican case that I have (those antennas on the RX come off for transport). According to the Vector diagnostics, the GPS/Compass is not getting any interference from any power sources nearby, so thatís a win.

About two beers into my wire management efforts I started to run low on small cable ties. Driving to the hardware store was out since Iím a lightweight, so I had the idea to use unshrunk heat shrink to route wires along the standoffs. It works like a champ:

Once I got the PIDs ironed out, it flies very well and appears extremely locked in. Weather permitting Iíll go burn some milliamps this weekend and wring her out a bit at 55mph.

On a side note, Iím convinced there is a pit in hell where someone has to insert vibration dampening balls through the frame sandwich for all eternity.

Good stuff Talon.
    I like the landing camera.
    By the way it is not beer, it is multi-rotor building oil.

Navigator
    got my vector tank through 2 flight packs today, I didn't even try RTH.. Loiter mode is frankly terrifying.. Not sure if it has something to do with my 11x5 and 740kv tiger pancakes. It flies awesome in 2d no hold and 2d hold modes though. Talonsix gain settings there seem great for me. I will post a vid here and probably the vector thread to get some help tuning.

Navigator
    Here's a video, not sure what I can do to fix loiter. (loiter mode engaged at :06 to 0:37 all stick input cancelled) I do not want to test RTH with the way it is acting now

-cinetank - L with gimbal
    -4006 tiger pancakes 740kv
    -11x5 gemfan carbon fiber props
    -35c castle quad pack
    -vector
    Last edited by dr_patso; 14th September 2014 at 06:10 AM.

If it's any consolation I have the same drift issues with my Vector in loiter mode. Hence why I went to the Vector for FPV flying and the Pixhawk for AP. When I do RTH I've accepted that it will be somewhere in a 10m circle instead of the 1m circle that I get with the Pixhawk.

Navigator
    TalonSix,
    What firmware ver are you running on your Vector? I have had non stop GPS/Loiter issues after upgrading to ver 1.47.
    Last edited by Qbang; 20th September 2014 at 04:20 PM.

Navigator
    By the way your setup and build detail are amazing. Right now I'm trying to decide between the Cinetank and the TBS. After seeing your build I'm really looking hard at the Tank.
    Last edited by Qbang; 20th September 2014 at 08:32 AM.

Thanks for the compliments, Qbang. I think I'm running v1.42, so I'll have to upgrade.

WOW, great build Talon. The Vector FC looks very nice !!!

Navigator
    Talonsix,
    Did you ever get your loiter issues worked out?