FPVLAB

Thread: Diversity monitor/Rx: two different antennas?

Diversity monitor/Rx: two different antennas?

Hi guys,

I've been reading about those diversity monitors with built-in receivers that have two antenna inputs.

I take it that patch antennas have some gain facing forward relative to omni-directional antennas (from not wasting signal to an unneeded direction at the moment, so to speak) but omnis have the advantage of not needing to be directed to the Tx.

So here is the question: would it be desirable to have one omni and one patch antenna plugged into those diversity monitor/Receivers? The idea being that the patch would be pointed to the general direction of the model while the omni would cover the whole 360-degree horizon should the model venture outside the patch's field of view. I never heard of anyone doing this, so there is probably be a reason not to.

Any thoughts? Have you guys tried this?

Navigator
    You got the right idea....
    Main benefit of the diversity setup is the ability to run an omni and a directional antenna and get good performance without a tracker.
    I'm using a boscam 5.8 diversity at the moment with a SPW and a home made Cross Hair style antenna. Hasn't had as much flight testing as i would like but seems to do the job well.

Thanks BimmerTas,

Just getting into this (but have been flying RC many years). Will probably have lots of questions on things I can't manage to learn from previous posts, etc.

Thanks again.

Navigator
    No worries

The thing that caught me out a couple of times was reduction of RC range due to interference from video TX. (Should not be a big issue with reasonable power 5.8 systems) A standard 2.4 Turnigy 9x just can't compete with a 700mw 1.2 video system... got it back to about half the range it had without fpv equipment using filters on the 1.2 TX and homemade antenna for the control RX.

Range test with all gear going!

Best of luck with your endeavours.