FPVLAB

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Parallel charging: watts/volts/amps- overwhelmed and looking for help

Quad newbie
    For the powerlab 6 vs 8 see here : https://www.progressiverc.com/index....son-chart.html

For working out charge requirements see here: http://www.revolectrix.com/PL6_calculators_Main.htm

Your charge capabilities will be limited by your PSU as both chargers are limited to 40A input, for your question 6x5000-4s at 5A each (30A total), you will need a 15V, 40A psu according to the links above(due to upconverting the voltage for the cells you need more amps coming in than you have left for charging).

The calculators linked will allow you to plug in as many values as you like.

Also I have no links to Progressiverc other than living in the same state, I have visited their unit, the guys are all RC enthusiasts heli, FPV etc, they have provided me personally a great service and I would recommend anyone to use them.

One other question I have is:

I don't see chargers that offer above 40amps. So I'd never be able to charge my 6x 4500 mah batteries at 2c anyway right? (2c would require 54A) And If I later upgraded to 5000mah, my c rating drops even further?

Quad newbie
    Yes you would need a higher power charger and PSU if you wanted to charge 6x5000@2C, but would you really need it?

2C and above are ways to fast charge a pack and intended for single pack charging so that you can turn a pack around quickly to fly, but with parallel if you charge 6 packs all at the same time for example at 1C, you will have at the end of 60 minutes or less 6 packs available for immediate use, so in theory (6C, but only stressing the packs with a 1C charge rate).

Take your 6 pack example, instead of charging 6 in parallel at 1C, how about 3 packs in paralle at 2C, thats 3 fully charged packs in 30 minutes, during those 30 minutes, the other 3 packs can be used for flying, I would expect a 5000 pack would give approx 15 minutes of flight time x3, that's enough time to charge the other 3.

You could also charge 1 pack at 6C it will be ready in 10 minutes, so you only need to have 2 packs, 1 flying the other charging this is also true.

But how long will a pack last in the long run being charged at 6C apposed to 1C, Parallel charging for me seems the most gentle charge process on the packs, relatively safe(no excessive heat that you get at high C levels).

Quad newbie
    I just noticed the PL8 can take a higher input current "Input current: 1A to 60A, software limited" so it could charge 6x5000-4s@2C using a 12v 50A PSU, the max it can do is 40A charge, so just over 2C see: http://www.revolectrix.com/PL8_calculators_Main.htm

Do you really need a huge charger? For me when I fly alot I end up parallel charging most of my batteries in one shot with 6 batteries on the charger. Even though I'm limited to 10A it really doesn't matter since they all charge together, saving me the requirement of pulling batteries off and restarting. Basically 6 batteries charge at about 1C or 0.5C. 6 batteries charged in 2 hours works pretty well for me...and the low charge rate is supposed to be good for the batteries.

@faber suggested that plugging batteries at different charge states (say 3S@12V and 3S@10.5V) was ok. It is but you must be careful as the voltage between the batteries gets larger and the C rating of the battery goes up. If you parallel charge uneven battery voltages (which I have on many occasions) you must plug in the main battery wires (deans or XT60) to the parallel board first. If you plug in balance connectors first all of that current will go through very small traces on the board and likely toast them (yes I have fried those traces...thankfully it is easy to fix).

Don't be afraid of parallel charging uneven batteries or flying with paralleled uneven batteries. It can be done if you follow the rules.
    KF7SKL,TechPod/Walrus/250mmQuad/HoneyBadger, EZUHF,SL-AAT, 1G3/2G4/5G8

Quad newbie
    Got my Server PSU Friday, completed the MOD over the weekend, just charged 5x4500-4s Lipo's from storage charge to 100% in 32 minutes at 1C, that means parallel charging 5 flown packs to full charge in 40-50 minutes.

Don't think I need more than 1C.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12