FPVLAB

Thread: New DRAGONFLY 2300kv Motors

New DRAGONFLY 2300kv Motors

I received four of these from FPV Model to test out and review. Thanks Jason.

Bottom Line- These are light and fast,punchy little motors. They give me similar flight times as my 2300kv Cobra motors and weigh less. I will be investing in more of these if the price is right.

These motors have a high KV rating(2300) and weigh only 20 grams or so depending upon wire length.

My motors came pretty well balanced. I am also pleased to see that the windings are better than other 2300kv motors that I have used.
    Really like the soft motor wires. I have had lesser motors give me trouble with stiff copper motor wires work hardening. Not likely to happen with these Dragonfly motors.

I would like to see a 5 mm prop adapter option. Not a deal breaker,but it would be convenient.Nice to see that these look interchangeable with T motor adapters.

My Minion mini quad has arms drilled for slightly larger mounting hardware so I ended up using some washers I had lying around and plenty of locktight.

It would be nice to see 4 pan head screws in the bag as well. (Picky,I know.)

I found a bit of a fudge on the shaft grub screw hole.(ended up more of a C shaped hole)
    This was not an issue on all of these motors. I only found this on one of them, but the machining on two of the bells had flashing on them where cuts were made. Not huge deal,just looks like the cutting tools and drill bits could use changing/sharpening a little more often.

Lube your bearings. Good habit to have.

How well the bearings will hold up, we will have to see. Lets hope these motors are able to take light crashes before bearings and shafts give out, so far so good.

The props are Gemfan 5030s

B-12A Ice Blue series SimonK-(RapidESC)

M200 Minion Carbon Fiber Mini H Quad

SKY V2 Camera and a 2.1mm lens.

TS832 600mw 5.8ghz Vtx

NAZE acro FC

KVOSD

All up weight is 455 grams. =D

This is a few grams more than what my AUW was whilst I was using ZMR 2300kv motors,with a LOT more power!

Here is the first mashup of some flights we have conducted with these new DragonFly 2300kv 1806 motors.
    Last edited by Zatoichi; 29th July 2014 at 03:44 PM.
    Entropy isnít what it used to be.

Navigator
    The winding's look nice however that motor screams rushed production with that horrible surface finish and booger'd set screw hole. I would trust it electronically but I couldn't bring myself to trust a product that looks like like it was machined with no care of craftsmanship.

A T-Motor it is not.=0)

Co-Pilot
    Also note that these only have a 2mm shaft -- versus the 3mm of many other motors.

If you're not going to crash it probably won't matter :lol:

I'm reviewing these motors myself and comparing them to the sudden burst of other 1806 motors that have come onto the market recently.

Quote Originally Posted by xjet View Post
    Also note that these only have a 2mm shaft -- versus the 3mm of many other motors.

If you're not going to crash it probably won't matter :lol:

I'm reviewing these motors myself and comparing them to the sudden burst of other 1806 motors that have come onto the market recently.
    You are right Bruce. I think that the price will make these either a hit or a yawn. As manufacturers scramble to produce motors for the mini quad madness that has gripped most of us,we will surely see some stratification of quality and value. I am very much looking forward to your review and comparison.
    I do not plan on giving up crashing so we will see how many flights it takes to really prang one.
    I do not see any motor of this size standing up to massive abuse for long.

They are up for sale now.
    The motors now have the 5mm prop adapter included.
    I have not yet managed to kill one!