Page 51 of 212 FirstFirst ... 41495051525361101151 ... LastLast

Thread: Let's See Your Ground Station!!

Co-Pilot
    Quote Originally Posted by cardboard_boks View Post
    I have a home made 5 way diversity switch for 5.8ghz and it has worked flawlessly from day 1. I use a mix of rx5808 modules and rc305s all with CP antennas, 3 helical and 1 omni normally, I only have 4 receivers plugged in ATM. It uses a 328p a pair of 4051 multiplexers and a handful of video amps for multiple video outputs.

I'm not 100% sure how other RSSI based diversity work but I have a few features that help keep things happy.
    -The RSSI is averaged over 50 samples.
    -It may only switch receivers once every 1/2 sec at maximum.

There is a list of other features related to human interface as well.

Attached is graph of 4 receiver RSSI inputs over the duration of a flight, it has been smoothed again in excel to bee more human readable but you can clearly see the 3 different turned helicals and the omni. The separation gets the further away the aircraft is and as I bank and the antenna is blocked by the aircraft you can see other dips.
    your joystick.. you did a Logitech 3D pro? I was looking at trying to build such a unit..

Sky Pirate & FPV Outlaw SecretSpy711's Avatar
    Got mine pretty much finished. The idea was to have something that is quick to set up, no messy wires to plug in each time, diversity on multiple frequency bands, and combine everything I need into one nice little box. I don't have 2.4 receivers or a wireless relay yet, but it's wired to accept those.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20130213_215217.jpg 
Views:	784 
Size:	278.9 KB 
ID:	21237 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20130213_215237.jpg 
Views:	692 
Size:	329.6 KB 
ID:	21238 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20130213_215925.jpg 
Views:	1676 
Size:	132.9 KB 
ID:	21244 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20130213_215537.jpg 
Views:	1112 
Size:	153.4 KB 
ID:	21243

Features:
    -Quickly and securely mounts on a tripod with a hot-shoe. (Bottom is reinforced with a sheet of birch wood)
    -The case lid acts as antenna tilt axis with thumb screw to lock it in place with friction (can be adjusted while flying).
    -Carrying strap allows me to carry GS, airplane and lawn chair all in one trip. -Independent frequency-selectable A & B video feeds for flexible diversity (Eagle Eyes is underneath the power panel).
    -Video feed taps allow me to see feed A and feed B independently for troubleshooting or for future missions with pilot + camera gimbal operator both operating one airplane from a single ground station.
    -"Passenger" video output and 12v barrel connector for connecting a 2nd pair of FatSharks or other 12v display.
    -Two USB ports for charging phone, GoPro, etc.
    -Dedicated bay for radio ensures I never forget to bring it, and 2 sets of flight batteries for my Reaper (which is my workhorse ship now) fit underneath.
    -Bay for antennas & accessories...things like Sony 600 OSD board, screwdriver, zip ties, fuses, memory cards, USB cords, FrSky module (also my homemade 1.2 SPW will fit in here but the Mad Mushroom I just bought is a little too big and stiff...but it will fit if I let it squash a little, it seems to bend back ok).
    -Fuse protects against shorts.
    -Main battery voltmeter.
    -Battery checker voltmeter.
    -DVR with quick record button (DVR is on the same circuit as USB ports so it gets charged when the USB+DVR switch is on).
    -BNC antenna ports for quick antenna attachment (and to save the threads on the SMA's by using adapters. Loss is negligible.)
    -Dust caps on antenna ports.
    -Crosshair antenna with removable coroplast element cover.
    -Lighted switches so I know what components are on, at a glance.
    -5000 mAh 3S LiPo powers the GS for several hours.
    -DVR is removable (velcro) in case I need to grab it to find where my plane went down.

Power panel "deck" is made from Home Depot whiteboard sheet, sitting on posts with velcro so I can lift one side of the panel to get to the battery or access the Eagle Eyes buttons if necessary.

DragonLink antenna + notch filter can lay across diagonally, or laterally without the notch (but I have a smaller UHF antenna hidden in the center bay, in case I accidentally leave the better larger one at home.)

This is the back-side of the video selector panel. Ignore the RCA connector colors, they are all for video. I am not utilizing any audio, for now. These are 4-position, 3-throw switches, so you could use this to control power and audio in addition to video if you wanted to wire it that way.

Name:	20130204_231625.jpg 
Views:	1056 
Size:	206.3 KB 
ID:	21236

Things to add:
    -LED's for night ops
    -12v car adapter?
    -2.4 receivers
    -Wireless fatshark relay
    Last edited by SecretSpy711; 14th February 2013 at 02:23 AM.
    youtube.com/secretspy711
    COFPV.com

Navigator

My tiny FPV Ground station.

Hi all,

Here is mine, I wanted something for short and medium range, less than 5 min to install, enough place to store my googles.

Inside:
    2x RC305
    DVR recorder
    Mini diversity
    4A battery
    LCD 7"

I can use it closed, with ouside RCA plug for googles, the led indicates the power and the 5.5 plug allow me to recharge.

Cheers from France.

Instructor Pilot
    Uhm, wow?

Navigator
    Very nice setup Voodou!

Spearheading an Aliance BravoGolf's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SecretSpy711 View Post
    Got mine pretty much finished. The idea was to have something that is quick to set up, no messy wires to plug in each time, diversity on multiple frequency bands, and combine everything I need into one nice little box. I don't have 2.4 receivers or a wireless relay yet, but it's wired to accept those.

Name:	20130213_215217.jpg 
Views:	784 
Size:	278.9 KB 
ID:	21237 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20130213_215237.jpg 
Views:	692 
Size:	329.6 KB 
ID:	21238 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20130213_215925.jpg 
Views:	1676 
Size:	132.9 KB 
ID:	21244 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20130213_215537.jpg 
Views:	1112 
Size:	153.4 KB 
ID:	21243

Features:
    -Quickly and securely mounts on a tripod with a hot-shoe. (Bottom is reinforced with a sheet of birch wood)
    -The case lid acts as antenna tilt axis with thumb screw to lock it in place with friction (can be adjusted while flying).
    -Carrying strap allows me to carry GS, airplane and lawn chair all in one trip. -Independent frequency-selectable A & B video feeds for flexible diversity (Eagle Eyes is underneath the power panel).
    -Video feed taps allow me to see feed A and feed B independently for troubleshooting or for future missions with pilot + camera gimbal operator both operating one airplane from a single ground station.
    -"Passenger" video output and 12v barrel connector for connecting a 2nd pair of FatSharks or other 12v display.
    -Two USB ports for charging phone, GoPro, etc.
    -Dedicated bay for radio ensures I never forget to bring it, and 2 sets of flight batteries for my Reaper (which is my workhorse ship now) fit underneath.
    -Bay for antennas & accessories...things like Sony 600 OSD board, screwdriver, zip ties, fuses, memory cards, USB cords, FrSky module (also my homemade 1.2 SPW will fit in here but the Mad Mushroom I just bought is a little too big and stiff...but it will fit if I let it squash a little, it seems to bend back ok).
    -Fuse protects against shorts.
    -Main battery voltmeter.
    -Battery checker voltmeter.
    -DVR with quick record button (DVR is on the same circuit as USB ports so it gets charged when the USB+DVR switch is on).
    -BNC antenna ports for quick antenna attachment (and to save the threads on the SMA's by using adapters. Loss is negligible.)
    -Dust caps on antenna ports.
    -Crosshair antenna with removable coroplast element cover.
    -Lighted switches so I know what components are on, at a glance.
    -5000 mAh 3S LiPo powers the GS for several hours.
    -DVR is removable (velcro) in case I need to grab it to find where my plane went down.

Power panel "deck" is made from Home Depot whiteboard sheet, sitting on posts with velcro so I can lift one side of the panel to get to the battery or access the Eagle Eyes buttons if necessary.

DragonLink antenna + notch filter can lay across diagonally, or laterally without the notch (but I have a smaller UHF antenna hidden in the center bay, in case I accidentally leave the better larger one at home.)

This is the back-side of the video selector panel. Ignore the RCA connector colors, they are all for video. I am not utilizing any audio, for now. These are 4-position, 3-throw switches, so you could use this to control power and audio in addition to video if you wanted to wire it that way.

Name:	20130204_231625.jpg 
Views:	1056 
Size:	206.3 KB 
ID:	21236

Things to add:
    -LED's for night ops
    -12v car adapter?
    -2.4 receivers
    -Wireless fatshark relay
    Nice work!

Do you have anymore details on the features?

I like how you incorporated the quick record button, I thought about throwing that away. I'm glad I didn't.

Again, nice build.
    ~BG

Fixed wing: Volantex Ranger 2.4j - Volantex Ranger 2k - Strix Strato Surfer - VAS Banshee - Sky Hunter Grey - Sky Hunter White - Skwalker 1900 - CTH Storm Chaser - CTH Albatross - Diamond 2500 - Super Sky Surfer - Phoenix 2000 - Fun Cub - Sonic 185 - Eflite ascent
    Wings: PopWing - Multiplex Xeno
    Multi-Copters: 400Q - Spanky - PE SS Mini H - GLB spider quad - ATG 750 - Tarot FY680 - V929 - Syma X5C

Sky Pirate & FPV Outlaw SecretSpy711's Avatar

Re: Let's See Your Ground Station!!

Thanks! If I had to do it again, I'd use a better case. This one feels a little cheap.
    Its SO nice to not have to mess with wires and plugs.
    youtube.com/secretspy711
    COFPV.com

I found a nice keyswitch at Sparkfun for $2. I was skeptical trusting it because of the price, but now that I have it in my hands it has a quality look and a very solid feel to the switching action.

Pilot
    What is everyone's fascination with switches and lights on their GS?

My GS has one "Power" switch and 2 other to turn off power to goggles or external devices... I wonder what everyone uses so many switches for?

Just a guess:
    Main power...
    Screen...
    Recorder...
    Video splitter...
    One to look cool...
    LED's and other random gear?...

They look all high tech but is it really needed?
    I throw mine on a tripod flip one switch and Im receiving, recording, and flying!

Chris

Pilot
    Lol! Chris, I'm with you on that! Switches just add cost and complexity. I personally believe you should be recording EVERY time you fly, in case you lose your plane or even if something crazy/funny/intersting happens. So I don't see the reason to have the recorder on a switch. The rest? No reason, to me, either...
    Regarding "some" peoples thoughts about Trappy and the FAA and "the sky is falling":

"Perspective. Time to recognize the root cause and not focus exclusively on a single case."

Page 51 of 212 FirstFirst ... 41495051525361101151 ... LastLast