Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Sickening comments heard today on major network.

i think this is a shock to you because you are now listening to a news station talk to something you know lots about. Take a step back and realize this is how news reporters sound to every single industry about everything they comment on. they have no idea what they are talking about, but are allowed to present themselves as an educated opinion on every subject.
    Quote Originally Posted by jimmaplesong View Post
    When you're outraged at chatch, please don't quote his bullshit.

Quote Originally Posted by randall1959 View Post
    The main commentator, whose identity escapes me, says he's actually in favor of banning ALL "drones" PERIOD, due to the video depicting the Phantom flying through fireworks and the incident where someone with a Phantom was getting too close to a police chopper.
    I wonder if the commentator realizes his employer, FOX News LLC, is on the record supporting the use of sUAV's for newsgathering and has signed on in support of the NTSB upholding the ALJ's decision to rule against the FAA in Huerta vs. Pirker.

Wayne
    Everybody loves a bunny.

Quote Originally Posted by chatch View Post
    i think this is a shock to you because you are now listening to a news station talk to something you know lots about. Take a step back and realize this is how news reporters sound to every single industry about everything they comment on. they have no idea what they are talking about, but are allowed to present themselves as an educated opinion on every subject.
    Exactly. A news story about grass growing does NOT sell commercials, but if the grass grows and may have eaten a little girl, it sounds a lot better, as news.

You guys really need to understand, you lost this battle 3 years ago. It's just become reality now. Do the face palm thing and move on, get over it.

Is it me or does US society in general think that everyTHING and everyONE are out to hurt, kill or spy on them these days? This is just my view sitting here in the Norwegian woods watching what is happening over there. I'm not just talking about the news, but people in general from what i read on the interwebs and so on. Everyone seems so.... Tense?

It isn't just Fox News reporting this.

It seems this is being reported on a weekly basis.
    All you have to do is search "drone nearly collides with" on youtube and you'll see quite a few news stories. The fact is that the perception is that there is a danger there and people are complaining quite a bit these days. And it doesn't help matters when you have literally hundreds of youtube videos basically saying "hey look at me and how high I can go" with new ones popping up daily.
    https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...h+altitude+fpv
    These aren't LOS videos either. Granted, some are a few months old on this search but you can't tell me this one is LOS and it was a week ago.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d-wnDCJ3rgU
    Believe me, I'm not wanting to see FPV banned, far from it. But I can definitely see the end coming.
    Last edited by randall1959; 13th July 2014 at 02:10 PM.

It seems we have more than a few idiots that are willing to give the public reason to be afraid to fly. Like has been stated before, this hobby is getting far too easy to do bad things with. It is only a matter of time before the govt clamps down. Maybe you don't have such fools in Norway so consider yourself lucky.
    Last edited by randall1959; 13th July 2014 at 02:04 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeppe View Post
    Is it me or does US society in general think that everyTHING and everyONE are out to hurt, kill or spy on them these days?
    Our society in multiple ways is quite schizophrenic, many of the areas that we live and work within are under constant surveillance, you can’t turn a corner without showing up on some ones closed circuit TV camera, being observed by who knows who.

Yet when some poor schlep straps a GoPro to a Phantom, the same people who tolerate the above, march to their roof-tops and loudly demand the schlep be drawn and quartered and his head placed on a post in the town square.

Why, because he violated their perceived right to privacy.

If that isn’t whacky enough for you, try this.

What keeps my tin-foil hat thoroughly adhered to my head is our governments increasing hostility to being observed while they go about their business, yes it’s ok for them to watch us, but not for us to watch them, and worse yet when we can do it from above.

Now I understand the need for security of an active scene to maintain a tactical edge, sure don’t need a bad guy turning on channel 7 and seeing the SWAT team moving in on him. But to flat out ban on observing such activities, is way over the top and stinks of paranoia by those who might be observed.

Now as for being a loony society, there is a good chance to an outsider we sure seem like one.

Consider this, while many of the folks I first mentioned have their entire life posted minute by minute all over the Net and will do incredibly stupid things for a 10 second spot on the evening news or a You-Boob-Tube video, they want total privacy as well.

You can’t twist a pretzel that tight, but they do it within their minds.

Also consider this, twenty percent of Americans are prescribed and take psychotropic medications, another part of the population, probably more than twenty percent, are self prescribers taking either prescription drugs, without a prescription, primarily pain killers, or doing illicit drugs. And booze is legal too, so there is another increase to that percentage.

Everyone seems so.... Tense?
    Druggies are like that. ;-)

Wayne
    Last edited by Channel 1; 13th July 2014 at 05:55 PM.
    Everybody loves a bunny.

Last fall I was out, testing a quadcopter by taking aerial photos of a local museum, that just happened to be in the middle of a somewhat less than desirable neighborhood. I was flying from a public sidewalk, going straight up and taking photos of the front of the museum and this skinny, dirty, unkempt male with obviously poor dental care walked up and asked me if my "drone" had a camera on it. I answered him that it in fact, did have a very nice 10mp digital camera and he became quite agitated. Between his threats, the smell of his B.O. and my lack of patience, I quietly informed him that I was not only about 130 lb heavier than him, I was also well armed and it would be in his best interest to vacate the area. He took my advice and slinked back into whatever hidey hole he emerged from.
    But, having said that, I have also been harrassed by people who were not obviously on drugs, but who resented the fact that I was taking photos of anything anywhere near their homes, even though I was there at the request of the persons asking for pics of their houses.

Co-Pilot
    Maybe it's time *we* started taking the media offensive and posting videos in which we show the public saying *positive* things about this technology.

This weekend we (the Forest Fliers) flew at a local farm and there was a good crowd of interested bystanders. After passing the video glasses around they were all very enthusiastic and overwhelmingly *positive* about what they had experienced. If we start filling YouTube and other social media with images of "regular" people being wowed and positive about this stuff then maybe we can, at least in a small way, fight back.

Here's what I'm talking about (albeit the horrible "drone" word was used -- an indication that the media is being read/watched).

http://youtu.be/Bsb7qffiMag?t=5m24s

Quote Originally Posted by xjet View Post
    Maybe it's time *we* started taking the media offensive and posting videos in which we show the public saying *positive* things about this technology.
    Great idea, but how are you going to push that to the masses?

Wayne
    Everybody loves a bunny.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast