Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Sickening comments heard today on major network.

Sickening comments heard today on major network.

Today my wife and I were out in the truck and as usual, I was listening to Fox News on Sirius, when lo and behold, the subject of "drones" came up. The main commentator, whose identity escapes me, says he's actually in favor of banning ALL "drones" PERIOD, due to the video depicting the Phantom flying through fireworks and the incident where someone with a Phantom was getting too close to a police chopper.
    A couple were trying to be a bit more rational about it but the consensus was leaning toward a drastic restriction if not total ban of all things FPV. We have all got to start calling out those who are posting these stupid "hey look at what I can do" videos unless we want the world at large to believe we're ok with morons doing stupid things.

[Flight Box]Low Class FPV slowjet's Avatar
    "Stupid things" is subjective. We don't need people within the fpv community fighting each other. Most of those people with phantoms aren't even flying fpv anyway. Regardless your letting the taking heads hey to you.
    [Flight Box] - Watch, Cry, Subscribe.
    youtube.com/jnacoustic

NEFPV^

He does have a point though. JQ Public doesn't know drone from fpv to LOS RC. All they see is a 'drone' was flying in my back yard, and now anything RC is a target for banning. The FAA is doing a full court press of bad PR, and telling local LEO what to look for. We need a positive PR message, or at least get united and stop fighting each other!
    Rusty
    NEFPV^

Somehow I don't think the guy flying through fireworks was flying LOS. And like Rusty says, it doesn't matter in the arena of public opinion because the media is lumping us all together. Almost daily now we are seeing stories about these things being crashed into buildings, interfering with police activities, flying over private beaches, and yesterday is not the first time I've heard the comment "this drone thing is getting out of hand" in the press. Actually, yesterday makes the third time I've heard those exact words in just one week.
    Last edited by randall1959; 13th July 2014 at 08:56 AM.

We're going to be seeing more stories like this in the coming months unless somehow the issue resolves itself. We can cry about guns, motorcycles, fast cars and the like all we want but unless people start shooting planes out of the sky you won't see any gun legislation and you won't see any legislation banning fast cars or bikes because those don't fly.

Last edited by randall1959; 13th July 2014 at 09:52 AM.

The issue I have with the 'news' outlets is that the stories go unchecked, unverified, and wildly inaccurate. The AMA (or someone) needs to be rebutting some of these, or at least providing our side of the story. Right now it is one sided and coached by the FAA.
    Rusty
    NEFPV^

The root of this is the gps on the phantom. Take the gps away from noobs then the problem will go away

While I agree, you also can't argue with all the idiots trying to get their 15 seconds of fame on places like youtube. Fox News pointed to the fool in Florida that flew through the fireworks display as proof that this hobby has run amok and if you view the video it's at 8 million views and climbing. The fact is also that this incident with the passenger plane was checked, was verified and was accurate. The pilot reported it to the FAA.
    There have also been verified reports of Phantoms or quads like them hitting high rise buildings, flying over private beaches, over police investigations, etc etc. Some of them are even flown by the very news organizations doing the reporting of incidents like these.
    The AMA isn't rebutting these stories because I know quite a few in the clubs that don't want any part of this section of the hobby and would like nothing better than to see it banned.

While I agree, you also can't argue with all the idiots trying to get their 15 seconds of fame on places like youtube. Fox News pointed to the fool in Florida that flew through the fireworks display as proof that this hobby has run amok and if you view the video it's at 8 million views and climbing. The fact is also that this incident with the passenger plane was checked, was verified and was accurate. The pilot reported it to the FAA.
    There have also been verified reports of Phantoms or quads like them hitting high rise buildings, flying over private beaches, over police investigations, etc etc. Some of them are even flown by the very news organizations doing the reporting of incidents like these.
    The AMA isn't rebutting these stories because I know quite a few in the clubs that don't want any part of this section of the hobby and would like nothing better than to see it banned.

just one thing. Why would you believe anything you hear on FOX news?
    If you didn't build it, don't fly it!!!!
    also

My Stuff : https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC9F..._as=subscriber

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast