Thread: Question about Pixhawk

Navigator

Question about Pixhawk

Hi all,

I have been flying FPV for quite a while now, thanks to my previous post about long range fpv and stuffs, you guys did show me a lot of things to think about. But i'm trying to build a new quadcopter now so I would really need your expert advice on something?

1. I'm thinking about purchasing a 3dr Pixhawk (cause i found a very good deal on Pixhawk gps and dji arf) so should I go for it?
    2. How do you know if it is a authentic 3dr Pixhawk? I know that there is a lot of clone and knock off from ebay etc...
    3. Which is better in term of stability Pixhawk or Naza V2? I'm gonna part it and build the pixhawk on a tbs discovery?
    4. I know that the DJI Naza v2 can be easily add-on the osd by using either iOSD mini or iOSD mark II, how easy it is to do something like that for the Pixhawk?
    5. should i get the TBS core? cause it only show me the Amp and Voltage i am using not a lot of other thing.
    6. Is it very hard for tunning the pixhawk?

This is quite a lot of information that i'm asking for so please ignore my English as it is not my first language.

p/s: as I keep reading about Pixhawk and stuffs, I'm getting pretty scare now, will it fly away (. Is there any good in the latest firmware?
    Thank you,

Long
    Last edited by phoanglong; 10th July 2014 at 08:53 AM. Reason: more information

Fixed-Wing For Life
    They are equally good if you set them up correctly. Have you tried KK2?

hi long, my friend use to fly naza as he started out with phantoms and still has a couple but he has switched over to APM and pixhawk now. I have used only 3drAPM2.5 (2nd hand from RCG) in a discovery, a clone APM2.6 (infinity-hobby) IN A SK450 and a 3drpixhawk (singahobby, singapore) in a fortisframes titan tricopter.

There is actually a "Discovery with Pixhawk build" thread here for guys that have built and are building discovery with the pixhawk-

http://fpvlab.com/forums/showthread....hawk+discovery

check it out. IMO, masha Allah the APM and pixhawk are way better, much better value for the money than naza and setting up is pretty straight forward and if you use the power module then there is no need for the core. Alhamdulillah, I have never had interference issues with video without the core.

Alhamdulillah I have never had any issues from my 3drAPM & discovery combo, it flew with standard setup and then I auto tuned it, the mission planner and software are constantly being upgraded and don't forget the pixhawk is 32bit

PM me and insha Allah I can send you pics of my discovery and titan
    Last edited by Termite; 16th July 2014 at 09:25 PM.

Fixed-Wing For Life
    The APM(1,1.4,2.0,2.5,2.6) and Pixhawk are not the same thing - you know this, right? APM runs on an 8-bit 16MHz microcontroller from the 1990s, while Pixhawk runs on a 32-bit 166MHz processor from about 2010. That's why Pixhawk is much better for multirotors, but not necessarily superior for fixed-wing.

Hi zedtwitz, yes Alhamdulillah I knew that the APM is 8 and the pixhawk is 32 bit but I did not know the comparison for planes as you mentioned. Thank you for that info. Is the reason for that because the planes don't need such a fast refresh rate?

What major differences would we notice with both units on a plane or the lack of it?

Thank you buddy.

Fixed-Wing For Life
    You probably would notice no difference between Pixhawk and APM on a plane. They run the same code (Arduplane).