Page 1 of 119 1231151101 ... LastLast

Thread: TBS DISCOVERY (PRO): endurance / long range

TBS DISCOVERY (PRO): endurance / long range

Over the past few months we've been working hard on improving the flight time of the TBS DISCOVERY (PRO) lineup. While a lot of people love our DISCOVERYs for their super-steady handling and insane speed envelope, it was hard to get the flight time near or beyond the 20 minute mark.

With the recent developments such as the AerialMob Arm Extensions, we teamed up with T-Motors and got back to the drawing board to developed some sweet motors.

The result was a super-skinny pancake motor with self-locking props. That's right, you can take these props off and put them back on within seconds, to decrease the size of your rotor and protect the big props during travel.

With the soon-to-be-released 4000mAh 6S battery flight times of 25mins (T-Motor Props 15x5) or 23mins (RCTimer 15x6.5) are possible with a fully-equipped TBS DISCOVERY PRO. The regular DISCO will fly even longer. With a 2nd or even a 3rd battery (yes, the motors handle that with ease) you can fly 37 or 45mins respectively. The sky is the limit.

The props are not in view on any MEDIUM setting in your GoPro. WIDE will show the props as they are significantly larger than the 9x5's we sport normally. However, with longer booms (50cm or so) you could also solve that problem.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	LR_DISCO.jpg 
Views:	9812 
Size:	127.9 KB 
ID:	48622

Check it out in our shop:

AerialMob Arm Extensions:
    http://www.team-blacksheep.com/produ..._mob_extension
    400kV LR Motor Set:
    http://www.team-blacksheep.com/products/prod:400kv_set
    Last edited by Trappy; 5th July 2014 at 11:57 AM.

Very nice! this will create completly new possibilities! Can't wait to get my hand on them

just a bit disappointed by the price tag, I don't know why but I expected them to be cheaper than the 1000kvs. Can the new TBS 400kv be attached to the stock arms without limitations? except smaller props and thus less flight time ofc.
    Last edited by Xaser; 5th July 2014 at 12:30 PM.

Navigator
    Excellent

Xaser, sorry they can't be cheaper. they cost more for us than the 1000kV's cost retail! they are absolutely gorgeous motors, with more power and better efficiency. the stock arms will not work for the 400kV, as you need at least 13" blades to get the DISCO to lift off. Only 15" props are recommended at this point, this is where their sweet spot is and this is where you'll get crazy efficiency.

right i see, so they are worth it. Well looking forward to the next aerialmob arms then :P

Navigator
    How do you mount the new ESC's for optimum airflow? While using the aerial mob arms I mean

Edit: What's up with the arms in your picture? My aerialmobs have landing legs. And a note the the aerial mobs I have. They really don't fit well with the screw holes in the TBS frames. (It's aerial mob, not you) :P
    Last edited by lindahl; 5th July 2014 at 12:58 PM. Reason: Added question

we put them into the belly. mounted them so they just stick out a tad on the side. they're not hanging there, but there is a breeze going over them. I found out they get hot in any case, whether you just hover or do full throttle climbouts. Must be related to how insanely small they are.

Navigator
    Thanks. Wanted them on the belly side

Will the new 6s Lipo fit in the Batt compartment? Also, retailer pricing is for purchasing them individually?

Navigator
    Trappy: based on your comments from another thread, can we assume these are AerialMob v1.0 or v1.5 arms and not v2?