Page 116 of 119 FirstFirst ... 1666106114115116117118 ... LastLast
Results 1,151 to 1,160 of 1183

Thread: TBS DISCOVERY (PRO): endurance / long range

Forum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by misterx View Post
    Nope, i've got the problem of the high standoffs. I've recieved a $20 refund and decided to buy another alu set with the correct spacers. I'll resell the alu arms with the long standoffs later. I hope to place them on wednesday. I'll report!

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk
    Wait till you see the finish on the alu set. You'll end up selling the carbon on. The extra weight of the alu arms will help with dampening vibration

Forum Member
    I don't know! You clearly didn't see the finish on the carbon set, haha. The carbon finish is also REALLY nice! All smooth edges etc.

By now I think hobbyking did a great job on this product (exept for the product discription!) either the alu or the carbon! It really doesn't matten! I'm thinking about trying them both and see how they compare! By now the money's out of the pocket already!

Forum Member

TBS DISCOVERY (PRO): endurance / long range

So, I finally got my second arm set yesterday and found time today to work on the discovery pro. After comparing both arms, the alu and carbon I choose to use the carbon. Both got an amazing finish! But I like the look of the carbon and it saves weight.

I took the discovery apart for a little overhaul! And started the installation of the arms on the top plate! Because i like to make it as transportable as possible I took the time to replace the GPS pole for a folding one.

Next it is time to install the top plate with the arms onto the bottom plate. This is a little fiddly because of all the cables running between the top and bottom plate.

So now it's really taking shape, and I think it looks awesome. Only problem I encountered is my wiring. After I installed the motors, I'm a little bit short on the Motor leads. So I can extend the power leads or the motorleads. For enough space around the filding mechanism i like the ESc's to be a little bit further out on the arms. this means I've got to extend the plus and minus going to the ESC's in order to move the ESC out on the arms. So no flying for today!

So for now some pics of the quad folded up and in flying mode!

Next, the plan is to extend the wiring and start tuning the discovery pro in it's new configuration!

Last edited by misterx; 15th June 2016 at 10:29 AM.

Forum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by misterx View Post
    So, I finally got my second arm set yesterday and found time today to work on the discovery pro. After comparing both arms, the alu and carbon I choose to use the carbon. Both got an amazing finish! But I like the look of the carbon and it saves weight.
    I know you like the look of the alu more

I had the same issue with esc's so threw on a new set of 25A Emax blheli's that had nice long power cables. The downside being I didnt check for the esc to motor wire length so I ended up with tons of wiring between them. Rookie mistake.

Your build is looking really good! I had a look at that folding antenna. Can you mount it so the antenna folds a certain way? It looks tall!

The only thing that stands out to me as being an issue is the standoffs you're using for feet. They're not great for 250 size frames let alone a heavier frame thats not 3-4mm carbon and has electrical tracks through it. A few landings with any sort of speed will put a lot of stress on the points those standoffs attach to the frame. Are those the long standoffs from your original kit? It also reduces the portability aspect having them sticking out as far they do.

Im going to be using stick on black rubber pads and a landing mat. I'll tape the edges of the arms slightly to stop and scratches from landings. My other plan is to try and tilt the motors. Thats right. Tilted motors.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Preid View Post
    I know you like the look of the alu more
    LOL, if you say so! Haha

I'll install longer powerleads on the bulletproof TBS ESC's. I'll want to keep the motor wirring tight. This gives the Esc's a nice placement and I'll adjust the powerleads accordingly.

The folding antenna is the one that originaly came with the pixhack. It's quite long indeed, but this means that the disk ontop nicely sits beside the arm wich saves height when folded. The arm itself folds both left and right. I also like the height because the compass is ontop too. And the further away from other electrical objects, the less interference!

And those landing standoffs! You're totaly right! They suck. And the disco pro being an 1840 gram flying machine they are indeed to small. But the problem I had with the PRO is the gimball sticking out underneed the bottom of the frame. So I had to find some way of keeping het of the ground. These standoffs were leftovers from my 220size miniquad. And the best think I had laying around. Because they are quite narrow the pro is unstable ass well. I'm looking for the best sollution. I'm thinking of chopping them off and make them just long enough to keep the gimball off the ground! I'm a really smooth lander. I always kill any forward speed and try to make the most smooth touchdown. So I think they survive, but the transportability sucks indeed, but again! They are the best thing I had laying around for now!

Last edited by misterx; 16th June 2016 at 03:55 AM.

Forum Member
    No to BURST any bubble or trying to rain on your Folding Arm Party here !....Has anyone flown their Quad Copters with these folding arms yet ? Is there Jello being induced into the video ? Thank You !

Forum Member
    That's still A question for me to! I've just extended my wiring, and will fly today hopefully! I'll post the raw video for you!

Forum Member
    That's still A question for me to! I've just extended my wiring, and will fly for the first time today hopefully! I'll post the raw video for you!

Forum Member

Well, here you go. Thia is my first flight with the new arms, i just uploader the raw video straight from the gopro. Ofcourse the gimball of the discovery pro is mounted in a whole set of vibration dampening balls. I'm really impressed with the arms. They feel amazing! With the old arms I found that the wind that passes the arms created a strange noise, with the folding arms this is completely gone. The quad had got a really nice sound to it. The flight itself was a bit awkward, because I forgot my USB cable I wasn't able to setup an autotune and really tune the quad for it's new arms. So she's a bit twitchy on the sticks and the loiter sucks because the compass moved so the heading hold was all over the place.

Last edited by misterx; 16th June 2016 at 05:55 PM.

Forum Member
    Video doesn't work via that link above for me
    [B]4 wheels moving body 2 wheels moving soul
    [/B]