-increased frame strength
    -increased arm strength
    -landing skids zip-tie in place for durability
    -new landing skid design
    -VTX SMA pigtail location
    -lowered battery closer to cg
    -reduced hardware

CNC work done by SecretSpy711
    __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ________

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ________

Check out my little project I've been working on for a little while. This is my design for a mini size Y6 multirotor.

Big thank you to Derrick for helping with the design and to Tasche for helping me laser cut this prototype!

Updates HERE

----------------------------------------------

Check out my little project I've been working on for a little while. This is my design for a mini size Y6 multirotor.

Big thank you to Derrick for helping with the design and to Tasche for helping me laser cut this prototype!

Current frame material is .125" birch ply but final version will most likely be G10. The frame design allows for very light weight but with good rigidity. This weight is including motors, ESCs, Naze32, props, all hardware, and Mobius, 454g!

Built using Cobra 2204 1960kv motors and MRSS 12amp ESCs. Distance between motors is 275mm.

Close quarters for 6x ESCs and RX.

FPV gear will initially be 200mw 5.8ghz and PZ0420. Plans for KV OSD in future versions.

Last edited by Vitamin J; 3rd May 2015 at 08:12 PM.

I've already got a list of things to change in the next version. I need to move the landing gear forward a bit along with the planned cg, I initially placed the CG equidistant from each motor but have learned that's not the best for this type of frame, so I will be moving it forward slightly.

Another big change will be to go from square tube for the arms to round tube. This square tube has a slight twist in it which screws up the flying performance. I will redesign the motor mounts to allow a space for a bubble-level and a friction fit on the round tube.

There are a few other tweaks I have in mind but just minor things.

FPV gear built and installed.

Plenty of room left for an OSD and GPS

AUW with a 3S 2200mah Nanotech and Mobius, 658g:

I will be doing the FPV maiden later today. Unfortunately my flight times might be only 2-3 minutes with the 2-3 year old batteries I'm using but it should at least be fun.

I did get the cg right so thankfully I won't have to change much in that department for v2.
    Last edited by Vitamin J; 3rd July 2014 at 02:56 PM.

Cor blimey, guv'nor!
    Brill - love it!

Thanks dude!

Some new props for the FPV maiden:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1404421462371.jpg 
Views:	169 
Size:	47.9 KB 
ID:	48555

Cor blimey, guv'nor!
    It looks great! Very innovative!

I love the T-copter look and I've not seen many mini tricopters, let alone mini Y6s. Although yours looks more like a mini-T6, which must be even rarer!

Quote Originally Posted by Vitamin J View Post
    Thanks dude!

Some new props for the FPV maiden:
    Nice build mate, I'm not a big fan of ply, but for testing it'll do as you mentioned you'll be going for GF
    Just a technical question- were you calculating what props to use on the top ant the bottom? Or just use the same for top and bottom?
    Why I'm asking- I'm anxious to build another copter with coax system, but once I screwed up with a Y6 build and later found out that coax systems lose ~20% thrust compared to conventional, e.g. Y6 vs Hexa, X8 vs Octo. Once it is calculated right, it does not lose anything, or so little that not worth mentioning and you gaining the benefits of size and stability. And to have it "right" bottom props have to be smaller in diameter and bigger in pitch compared to top ones to work in the "cone" of propwash. Distance between top and bottom props plays a role as well and bla bla bla, too much theory that gives me headaches, so just wonder did you do any simulation/calculation?
    If you're a noob, copy 1:1 what somebody already flies without too much questions, you'll find the answers later.
    PatrikE: I don't see anything wrong in your dump...
    Derrick:
    you are flying it LOS... You are doing it wrong.

Well the FPV maiden didn't go so well. It flew well enough for the first battery but then started acting weird. Was getting failsafes or brownouts I think, maybe esc heating issues. I will have to investigate more.

Worst part is I lost my damn Mobius in the field Comes at a bad time for me so it will probably be a long while before it's replaced. No video either. I'll try looking again tomorrow.

Thanks Robo, yeah this is just a test platform right now. I am just running identical props top and bottom and haven't done any testing on spacing or anything else really. I'm just going to take the efficiency hit and rely on it being overpowered. I may do more testing in the future.

Neato! Always great to see a "out of the box" design
    "You can't take the sky from me"

Thanks man!

Good news! I found my lost Mobius with the help of a metal detector. It actually came off in flight! Bonus 3+ hours of close-up grass footage!

My glitching problem that led to the crash was an issue with power delivery between my naze32 and RX. I ended up just tapping on the FC and could watch the RX led go on and off.

Replaced it with a Flip 2.5 last night and I'm back in the air! Hopefully I can get the footage edited and uploaded. No internet at home for a week or so.

Decided to fly it on 4S now. I had some good flights with a 2800mah but will probably get something smaller for normal flying. Just for kicks I strapped a 4S 5000mah on and she lifted it no problem! I was very surprised how easy actually. Hovered at half throttle lol 4S x6 motors makes some power!

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast