Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: What is the fastest you can realistically drive ground FPV?

Quote Originally Posted by IBCrazy View Post
    So, what do you think the fastest I could realistically get a truck going and still be able to see where I am going over grass would be?

-Alex

Depending on how weight you can carry you might be able to brute force it by using a suspension mount and a two axis gyro.

Wayne
    Everybody loves a bunny.

Co-Pilot
    Quote Originally Posted by ElectricEvan369 View Post
    lol New challenge longest fpv ground vehicle air time should it be distance or height?
    Why not have all 3 categories, distance,height and overall air time.
    Most of the money I made this year I spent on FPV,the rest I just wasted.

[Flight Box]Low Class FPV slowjet's Avatar
    Guys I drive my emaxx around pretty fast at times. Made a custom pan tilt mount for go pro. The wider the fov the more stable it feels when you are driving around.
    [Flight Box] - Watch, Cry, Subscribe.
    youtube.com/jnacoustic

NEFPV^

Navigator
    Quote Originally Posted by Vitamin J View Post
    You need a brushless gimbal!!! Check out this dude:
    http://fpvlab.com/forums/showthread....g-a-pool-party

I'm pretty sure that's the fastest anyone has driven ground FPV and still had a good enough picture to actually navigate intelligently. The ability of the gimbal to compensate for such harsh jolts is pretty amazing.
    Hi guys. So, with the stock summit and feuy gimbal i can easily do full speed low gear and burst of full speed on high gear (thats 60mph according to spec). All off road

Check out this vid. First lap is normal speed, next one max speed:

Co-Pilot
    Even the fastest racing greyhound won't break 45mph in a sprint and fastest recorded average over a 500m race was just under 40mph.

So you are most likely over estimating the speed that your dog can run at and if you do have a super dog you most likely don't want it running at such high speed for prolonged periods for the dogs own health.

So unless you are training a greyhound I would think 35mph would be a good top speed for your average 'walk'.

Navigator
    You might want to take at the look of blue streaks (also here in the forum) setup. The videos he posted look very good for the speed he is running off road and also shows the backpack with the self build gimbal.

His home racetrack video:

The fpv backpack video:

AFAIK, he uses a 1/5th scale HK buggy which looks very good. I try to build a similar gimbal to fit it into a HPI 5b converted to electric.

Sven

Navigator
    I am hoping Alex will help improve FPV ground pounding antenna technology. Distance is difficult a few inches off the ground.

Engineer for Jesus Christ IBCrazy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jrwperformance View Post
    I was able to blast my brushless Erevo around FPV without an issue. I used a Go Pro as my camera. With a soft, squishy suspension, I was able to see just fine. Things become a bit blurry at 50-60mph but I could still see things like people and cars. I was using it at a park where people take their dogs. The dog owners and dogs love the truck. Tires out the dogs pretty quicj
    Do you have any photos?

Any techniques on stabilizing the camera? My main issue is how to deal with vibration. Grass is always uneven especially when it has lots of dog traffic. Thus I need to the truck to take the bumps and not the camera

-Alex
    If it is broken, fix it. if it isn't broken, I'll soon fix that.

videoaerialsystems.com - Performance video piloting

Quote Originally Posted by londonguy View Post
    Even the fastest racing greyhound won't break 45mph in a sprint and fastest recorded average over a 500m race was just under 40mph.

So you are most likely over estimating the speed that your dog can run at and if you do have a super dog you most likely don't want it running at such high speed for prolonged periods for the dogs own health.

So unless you are training a greyhound I would think 35mph would be a good top speed for your average 'walk'.
    I need 10mph extra for get away speed. The dogs always catch the trucks in the corners. I need to be able to open up the gap when exiting the turns or the dog will have the vehicle in her mouth. She definitely runs over 30mph. 35mph might be where she tops out. She is just incredibly fast. She is a mutt we got from a trailer park so we have very little knowledge of what breeds are in her. Whatever it was, her parents were obviously fast dogs. VERY fast dogs.

I realize 45mph in a 1/8th scale truck is probably the limit of the vehicle stability. I have a 1/10 scale home brew truck that does 50mph. However the truck is far to unstable for FPV. I need something larger and faster.

@Channel 1:
    I guess I will need a gimbal of some sort. I think pan would not need to be stabilized, but tilt would. Do you think a helicopter gyro would do? Maybe mount the camera over the rear tires to help the vertical rise appear more of a tilting action?

-Alex

Quote Originally Posted by ProtoCrash View Post
    Hi guys. So, with the stock summit and feuy gimbal i can easily do full speed low gear and burst of full speed on high gear (thats 60mph according to spec). All off road

Check out this vid. First lap is normal speed, next one max speed:

Any photos you can share of your truck? That might be enough for the dog. I am looking at a few trucks a friend of mine down the road from me recommended. The brand is Red Cat. They seem pretty good, but I have no experience with them:

http://www.redcatracing.com/avalanche-xte-truck

http://www.redcatracing.com/Earthquake-8E-Truck

I am having a hard time finding trucks as kits. Do they even exist anymore or has everything gone RTR?

-Alex

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast