Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: What is the fastest you can realistically drive ground FPV?

Is it going to be a pre-determined track?

How about fabricating something that runs on a zipline?

Or on a camera rail tubing?

Navigator
    I have been building speed run rc cars for years heck yes looking forward to adding the fpv experience seems like the most fun one can have with a 2kw rc car

Other than vibration is the lack of having an already fast car the only reason someone has not tried to go really fast fpv on the ground?

Here's some videos of my speed run car

http://youtu.be/yD3BcQMkmmQ

http://youtu.be/z-Qt40dNw-M

Well most anything can handle 3s power if you're willing to swap a couple of parts, out of the box though I think the Traxxas brushless E-Revo fits the bill almost perfectly.
    Disco, Disco Pro, Blackout Mini H, Left Coast Quad, Skywalker 1900mm

Navigator
    Quote Originally Posted by IBCrazy View Post
    Hmmm... the rustler is a bit small. I'm going to need something larger. A truggy would do well if I could smooth it up. I am thinking of one of those brushless gimbal mounts mounted upright inside the cab for stability. I don't need HD. I just need to not get motion sick...

The trouble is that 35mph is the minimum sustainable speed. The dog probably breaks 45 in an all out sprint. She is literally the fastest dog I have ever seen run. She keeps up with greyhounds! If I can see well at 35 and be able to punch the throttle and reach 50 or 55 even if I cannot see well, that's fine. I will need get away power because the instant I go for a turn, the dog will have the truck in her mouth unless I can punch the gas and move faster than she can. I just need to be able to turn at 35mph.

So if I go with a truggy, can anyone recommend a decent vehicle that has adequate suspension travel that I can run a 3S Lipo? I have been out of RC trucks for a while and do not know what is out there. I have a Losi MST and an XTM Mammoth in my basement, but I don't know if these can be converted to electric without a machine shop.

-Alex
    Converting a truggy to electric power is really easy with a few hand tools however the truggy is limited by its tires if you need speed beyond 40mph the tires will fight you the whole way drawing more and more power until you find you built a monster overpowered rig that hogs up energy like a black hole. You may find the most efficient balance of speed, durability and run time is an 1/8 buggy platform and a mild 4s system. Tires are also a lot easier to balance in the 1/8 buggy tire world than the 1/8 truggy tires that routinely require ounces of weight and attention to the glue job holding the tire on, a 40 mph truggy tire coming unglued from the wheel is about enough force to make the car jump up in the air or crash violently.

I can really recommend 1:8scale as well, I was into racing on tracks for buggy and truggy for quite some time.

My best car to date is a Mugen mbx6t its a truggy, I converted it from nitro to electric , tekin sensored esc and motor truggy version 1400kv on 6s. This thing is a beast, I was involved in lots of crashes, 90% of the time I had no damage at all, while the others had quite some damage to suffer, its a tank, and mugen is top quality like xray.

I was able to blast my brushless Erevo around FPV without an issue. I used a Go Pro as my camera. With a soft, squishy suspension, I was able to see just fine. Things become a bit blurry at 50-60mph but I could still see things like people and cars. I was using it at a park where people take their dogs. The dog owners and dogs love the truck. Tires out the dogs pretty quicj

Im a N00b so what?!
    unfortunately the hpi 5sc is discontinued now. The Savage flux is stupid fast but very instable. The only thing one has to remember is the 5th scale stuff is dangerous. They are 30lbs of 45mph madness.

Quote Originally Posted by gatorb8 View Post
    And just think, no FAA!
    And what if he gets airborne over a bump? That's it, men in black will arrest him, 10K fines, jail etc...
    If you're a noob, copy 1:1 what somebody already flies without too much questions, you'll find the answers later.
    PatrikE: I don't see anything wrong in your dump...
    Derrick:
    you are flying it LOS... You are doing it wrong.

Navigator
    Quote Originally Posted by Roboforcer X2000 View Post
    And what if he gets airborne over a bump? That's it, men in black will arrest him, 10K fines, jail etc...
    lol New challenge longest fpv ground vehicle air time should it be distance or height?

You need a brushless gimbal!!! Check out this dude:
    http://fpvlab.com/forums/showthread....g-a-pool-party

I'm pretty sure that's the fastest anyone has driven ground FPV and still had a good enough picture to actually navigate intelligently. The ability of the gimbal to compensate for such harsh jolts is pretty amazing.

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast