Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What is the fastest you can realistically drive ground FPV?

Engineer for Jesus Christ IBCrazy's Avatar

What is the fastest you can realistically drive ground FPV?

I have never made an FPV ground pounder, but I'm considering building one. My goal is maximum off-road speed. I know I will need big soft tires and serious suspension as well as some sort of damper mount for a camera. However, since I never built one before, I have no idea how fast I could make one go and still be able to see where I am going.

What I'm trying to do is make a vehicle to run with my dog. The problem is she is REALLY fast. She runs 35+ mph, which probably means a 1/5 scale or larger just to think about getting away without bouncing all over the place. I used to run dogs at the local park with an LOS truck I scratch built, but that is no good for FPV as it would be like driving in an earthquake.

So, what do you think the fastest I could realistically get a truck going and still be able to see where I am going over grass would be? Any suggestions on a vehicle to do this?

-Alex
    If it is broken, fix it. if it isn't broken, I'll soon fix that.

videoaerialsystems.com - Performance video piloting

Navigator
    35 should not be a problem.
    And just think, no FAA!

Subbed for the discussion. I think what ends up happening (and you alluded to it, Alex) is the video feed just bounces around so much even on paved surfaces that it becomes quite hard to see where you're going. This is compounded by being so close to the ground. Some type of third-person view with the FPV camera up and behind the vehicle that's shock mounted?
    -Chris
    www.youtube.com/user/criccio

Quote Originally Posted by Zeeflyboy View Post
    If it all ends badly this time, I'm quitting FPV and RC and taking up golf.

I am thinking about making an fpv setup for my 1/8th e-buggy - but not for offroad. A local gokart track here said they'd let us use the track just for the thrill of a 4-man fpv race on the track (w/ remote video screens for spectators).
    Far better is it to dare mighty things, even though checkered by failure; than to take rank with those who neither enjoy much or suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat.

Hmmm need to see if anyone has a traxxas X0 I can borrow to take to the Velodrome to test this theory out.
    Most of the money I made this year I spent on FPV,the rest I just wasted.

Navigator
    Off-road I'd probably go with a Truggy, not sure if they classify as 1/8th scale or not. 35 Mph over natural ground might be a stretch though, either way I'd build it to protect the camera and antennas because eventually it will go inverted.

Might sound insane but the other vehicle I'd consider would be a Rustler VXL. Thing will go dang near 70 mph on 3S and with all the fpv weight on the front deck it would help keep the nose down. Can even cut out the window and run with the body on. Only suggest it because I've done it, well with a gopro LoS.

The main issue with running high speeds is the tires. The need to be balanced and if you do go in the dirt you need to punch holes in them to let the dirt out that gets in thru the rim vent. Also the shear centripetal force can just tear them apart.
    TwinStar Brotherhood
    MyFlyDream Twin

Quote Originally Posted by criccio View Post
    Subbed for the discussion. I think what ends up happening (and you alluded to it, Alex) is the video feed just bounces around so much even on paved surfaces that it becomes quite hard to see where you're going. This is compounded by being so close to the ground. Some type of third-person view with the FPV camera up and behind the vehicle that's shock mounted?

Ooh, i like this idea. Like a spring loaded steadycam

Navigator
    You could do something like this... Might not be the best idea with dogs though.

http://youtu.be/LxVWHgwj6RQ
    TwinStar Brotherhood
    MyFlyDream Twin

I built my slash 4x4 for dual purpose road/dirt with FPV. The goal was to make it FAST....I think it does just fine. Custom fit a Mamba Monster 2 motor/esc combo in it. Unless you can find a gimbal solution for the camera, riding on dirt will be bumpy especially at higher speeds. Look into Freefly's movi car, it's pretty amazing and goes about the same speed as mine

Engineer for Jesus Christ IBCrazy's Avatar
    Hmmm... the rustler is a bit small. I'm going to need something larger. A truggy would do well if I could smooth it up. I am thinking of one of those brushless gimbal mounts mounted upright inside the cab for stability. I don't need HD. I just need to not get motion sick...

The trouble is that 35mph is the minimum sustainable speed. The dog probably breaks 45 in an all out sprint. She is literally the fastest dog I have ever seen run. She keeps up with greyhounds! If I can see well at 35 and be able to punch the throttle and reach 50 or 55 even if I cannot see well, that's fine. I will need get away power because the instant I go for a turn, the dog will have the truck in her mouth unless I can punch the gas and move faster than she can. I just need to be able to turn at 35mph.

So if I go with a truggy, can anyone recommend a decent vehicle that has adequate suspension travel that I can run a 3S Lipo? I have been out of RC trucks for a while and do not know what is out there. I have a Losi MST and an XTM Mammoth in my basement, but I don't know if these can be converted to electric without a machine shop.

-Alex
    If it is broken, fix it. if it isn't broken, I'll soon fix that.

videoaerialsystems.com - Performance video piloting

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast