Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I learned a valuable lesson today - Read the F**king manual - NAZA Lite

Navigator

I learned a valuable lesson today - Read the F**king manual - NAZA Lite

I was testing my failsafe (RTH) today on my F550 and NAZA Lite.
    I've setup a switch to mix the 3-way mode switch so I can go into failsafe mode whilst in any of the three mode MAN/ATT/GPS.
    What I forgot to read was that when in GPS mode and you exit failsafe you WILL NOT regain control.
    So I was in GPS mode and turned off failsafe. The Hexa did not respond to I dropped the throttle off and nothing happened. I then 'decided' to flick to ATT mode to see if I regained control. Well, I did but unfortunately my throttle was down. Here's the result. It landed nicely near the end but then went up and after that it all went wrong.

Yikes, I was watching that thinking, "This isn't so bad, it just did a little bunny hop". And then it went crazy. Hopefully it didn't cause too much damage.

Navigator
    Quote Originally Posted by Liquidsilver View Post
    Yikes, I was watching that thinking, "This isn't so bad, it just did a little bunny hop". And then it went crazy. Hopefully it didn't cause too much damage.
    Yeah. All good. Just popped the undercarriage. And bend my ego a little. Probably one of my least damaging crashes.

The goggles do nothing! chicken sashimi's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by micronflyer View Post
    So I was in GPS mode and turned off failsafe.

The Hexa did not respond to I dropped the throttle off and nothing happened. I then 'decided' to flick to ATT mode to see if I regained control. Well, I did but unfortunately my throttle was down. Here's the result. It landed nicely near the end but then went up and after that it all went wrong.
    I assume your failsafe is set to RTH.

So you were in GPS Mode + failsafe (which means the aircraft was busy performing the RTH task)
    It landed (relatively) gracefully, but the motors wouldn't spin down, at which point you switched to ATT mode to see if you could get throttle response... but your stick input didn't cause a change. Then all on her own she did that strange take-off and drop?

Forgive me, i'm just trying to understand the chain of events to better learn from your experience. That's a crazy thing to happen.

You can regain control. You have to do this:

You are in GPS mode, you go into Failsafe (signal loss or you have deliberately flicked the switch to enter it to get a RTH to happen). The quad does its thing and starts executing RTH or just the land where it is. To regain control you firstly turn off fail safe. (nothing happens at this point as you are in GPS mode still and it will not respond). All you do next is flick over into Att or Man and you can then flick striaght back into GPS and you have full control again in GPS mode. By flicking over I mean a fraction of a second, just flick your flight control switch straight down into att or even over into manual and straight back into GPS. All sorted.

Navigator
    Quote Originally Posted by chicken sashimi View Post
    I assume your failsafe is set to RTH.

So you were in GPS Mode + failsafe (which means the aircraft was busy performing the RTH task)
    It landed (relatively) gracefully, but the motors wouldn't spin down, at which point you switched to ATT mode to see if you could get throttle response... but your stick input didn't cause a change. Then all on her own she did that strange take-off and drop?

Forgive me, i'm just trying to understand the chain of events to better learn from your experience. That's a crazy thing to happen.
    OK. When I call it failsafe. I mean RTH.

When I was flying before the first landing it was in GPS mode. I then flicked the RTH switch and let it land. AS it first landed it was about to topple over as you can see from the video. I decided before it toppled over I would take it out of RTH mode and turn the motors off. However, when I flicked the switch to take it out of RTH and back into GPS mode nothing happened. Which it correct. Nothing should happen. It should stay in RTH mode (Failsafe) Only moving the 3 way switch to either ATT or MAN would have given me back control.

Now the next bit is a little unclear in all the panic / confusion. I know the reason it took off again was because because I put some +ve throttle in. What Mode I was in I'm not sure. I just know I was not in RTH (Failsafe) mode.

I thought then I must have been 'in control' and moved the trottle down a little to land it. Nothing responded. I moved the trottle to zero and nothing happened. I then moved the 3 way mode switch and it dropped like a stone because my previous action was to zero the throttle.

Maybe I was in ATT mode which keeps the altitiude the same. But from memory if you are in ATT mode you can still adjust the height of the copter with the throttle.

I guess you are no clearer from the explination above as I am neither. :-)

Thing is I come from a R/C heli background and have been flying for over 20 years. I really need to move my thinking over to multicopters and not heli's. Don't have all these stoopid modes in heli's.

My next posting will be of a video of me crashing my heli when trying to flick into GPS mode when in fact I turn the heli's motor off during a low level inverted circuit.

Thanks Tuna for the clarification. I have motor stop set on my ezuhf failsafe.. so if I lose link, she drops... but that's besides the point.

So if you interrupt the RTH sequence by going into GPS mode, she will just GPS lock position until you switch the mode switch? Good to know.
    Can you fiddle with the mode switch while the RTH sequence is taking place, with no adverse behaviour? I haven't tried it yet, but if the RTH sequence is taking place, I would expect me fiddling with the mode switch (gps/att/man) to have no effect on the quad until I disable the RTH sequence.

Navigator
    Quote Originally Posted by DiscoTuna View Post
    You can regain control. You have to do this:

You are in GPS mode, you go into Failsafe (signal loss or you have deliberately flicked the switch to enter it to get a RTH to happen). The quad does its thing and starts executing RTH or just the land where it is. To regain control you firstly turn off fail safe. (nothing happens at this point as you are in GPS mode still and it will not respond). All you do next is flick over into Att or Man and you can then flick striaght back into GPS and you have full control again in GPS mode. By flicking over I mean a fraction of a second, just flick your flight control switch straight down into att or even over into manual and straight back into GPS. All sorted.
    That description above seems to explain it in clear language. Cheers.
    Now I must train my brain.

Hey micron.. that clears things up a little.

I guess the biggest takeaway (and probably a big part of what caused your confusion) is what Tuna said: "If you disable RTH INTO GPS, you will have no input control until you change the flightmode."

another thing worth noting based on your latest post is that i'm pretty sure (someone correct me please, if i'm mistaken) ATT mode is ATTiTUDE mode... not ALTiTUDE mode. it will maintain attitude (angle of attack) not altitude. If you reduce the throttle in ATT mode, the aircraft will still descend.

Does NAZA even have an ALtitude hold feature of any kind?

Navigator

Quote Originally Posted by chicken sashimi View Post
    Hey micron.. that clears things up a little.

I guess the biggest takeaway (and probably a big part of what caused your confusion) is what Tuna said: "If you disable RTH INTO GPS, you will have no input control until you change the flightmode."

another thing worth noting based on your latest post is that i'm pretty sure (someone correct me please, if i'm mistaken) ATT mode is ATTiTUDE mode... not ALTiTUDE mode. it will maintain attitude (angle of attack) not altitude. If you reduce the throttle in ATT mode, the aircraft will still descend.

Does NAZA even have an ALtitude hold feature of any kind?
    Always am confused what ATT means. I thought it meant you could fly it around and it would keep the same height at the point you flicked into that mode. So all it does is keep the craft level and will still drift with the wind.

I guess GPS mode will maintain altitude if you don't fiddle with the throttle.

I love forums. Without these I'd crash way more :-) Cheers

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast