Thread: Eagle Tree Vector RV Jet Build Log

Forum Member

Eagle Tree Vector RV Jet Build Log

Hello, I just received my Vector and I am preparing to install it in an RV Jet. I was previously planning on installing a Ruby in my RV Jet but the Vector will work with the Eagle Eyes ground station which I already own. I am going to post some photos as I go, please feel free to share your thoughts and feedback. My first step was to determine the CG and find a location to install the Vector. I decided to install a small piece of ply to place the Vector which could allow me to adjust the battery position forward or aft for final CG trim. The Vector manual instructs the builder to install it with the CG over the "TM" of the printed Vector logo. I could not find any build logs for the Vector and the RV Jet so please share yours if you have any thoughts or ideas.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photo 2.jpg 
Views:	413 
Size:	179.5 KB 
ID:	48427Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photo 3.jpg 
Views:	668 
Size:	168.4 KB 
ID:	48428Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photo 1.jpg 
Views:	418 
Size:	165.9 KB 
ID:	48429
    Last edited by skirack; 30th June 2014 at 03:45 PM.

Forum Member
    Since the manual warned to keep the GPS away from the motor and ESC I installed in the wing which I figure will allow me to see the GPS reception on the sensor itself before flight.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photo 1(1).jpg 
Views:	789 
Size:	196.0 KB 
ID:	48430Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photo 2(1).jpg 
Views:	302 
Size:	195.6 KB 
ID:	48431

Forum Member
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0260.jpg 
Views:	445 
Size:	282.3 KB 
ID:	59898Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0261.jpg 
Views:	212 
Size:	176.4 KB 
ID:	59899How is this working out for you? I also have my Vector in an RVjet and it has been working great. From time to time I have to redo trims and in-air leveling. It doesn't make sense to have the Vector right over CG in an RVjet but it doesn't seem to matter for a fixed wing that much. Especially not a relaxed FPV plane. I have included a picture of my setup, I have to check GPS status in the goggles because the little light on the GPS is invisible in daylight. Glad to see someone else doing this because when I bought the Vector I couldn't find any information about it being put in an RVjet? How do you launch? I usually launch in gyro mode because 2D tries to pitch down when I throw the plane upwards. I also had to decrease max roll angle for loiter RTH to 25 and loiter radius to 50 m for it to loiter nicely. Also, are you using the pan and tilt gimbal, if so, how is your video quality? I see vibes most of the time. I have balanced my prop and hub, next up will be motor. I have done what I can to secure the gimbal and reduce play in the gimbal links but I usually see vibes. I believe the culprit is still play in the gimbal. Especially the long arms from the pan servo to the front of the pan mechanism. They flex too much. Try powering up the servo and manually turning the pan, it isn't firm. One of the reasons I suspect the gimbal is that the vibes go away if I pan full left or right where the servo is holding the camera pan housing in a more secure spot...I think. Anyways, cheers!

Forum Member
    I have also built an RVJET with a Vector. I've flown it 3 times, but not FPV yet. Waiting until I get it flying well first. So far I'm not having a lot of luck.

First flight, I launched with stabilization off and got it trimmed out. Second flight, I tried turning stabilization on and the plane immediately went nose up and actually looped before I could turn stabilization off. Tried it once more and nearly crashed it. For the third flight, I turned the gain down using a knob I had setup on the TX. Once in the air, it seemed like if I adjusted the gain down, it wouldn't really hold altitude and course, but if I turned it up just a tiny bit, it would go extreme nose up and loop again. I've gone through the TX setup again and checked everything over. Hoping to get it back in the air soon to continue tweaking.

I've hand launched mine thus far, but will be bungee launching using a Jetapult when I start FPVing it.

Forum Member
    Sounds very strange. Sounds like something is reversed or the unit itself is not mounted in the proper orientation. Try turning on 2D stabilization on the gorund. This mode doesn't control throttle but be careful about prop anyway. With 2D enabled, tilt the plane in roll and pitch axis and verify that control surfaces respond correctly to counter change. This is also explained in the manual. Have you tried this?

Quote Originally Posted by brwilkins View Post
    I have also built an RVJET with a Vector. I've flown it 3 times, but not FPV yet. Waiting until I get it flying well first. So far I'm not having a lot of luck.

First flight, I launched with stabilization off and got it trimmed out. Second flight, I tried turning stabilization on and the plane immediately went nose up and actually looped before I could turn stabilization off. Tried it once more and nearly crashed it. For the third flight, I turned the gain down using a knob I had setup on the TX. Once in the air, it seemed like if I adjusted the gain down, it wouldn't really hold altitude and course, but if I turned it up just a tiny bit, it would go extreme nose up and loop again. I've gone through the TX setup again and checked everything over. Hoping to get it back in the air soon to continue tweaking.

I've hand launched mine thus far, but will be bungee launching using a Jetapult when I start FPVing it.

Forum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by adamtoolanen View Post
    Sounds very strange. Sounds like something is reversed or the unit itself is not mounted in the proper orientation. Try turning on 2D stabilization on the gorund. This mode doesn't control throttle but be careful about prop anyway. With 2D enabled, tilt the plane in roll and pitch axis and verify that control surfaces respond correctly to counter change. This is also explained in the manual. Have you tried this?
    Thanks. Yes, I verified that when I tilt the plane with stabilization on, it corrects in the proper direction. Both GPS and the main unit are oriented properly.

Forum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by adamtoolanen View Post
    Thanks. Yes, I verified that when I tilt the plane with stabilization on, it corrects in the proper direction. Both GPS and the main unit are oriented properly.

Forum Member
    Have you recorded the straight and level flight position? Also check that the control surfaces are not moving to much, I know you can change the dual rate or travel adjust on the TX to compensate but Vector controls the surfaces with no regard to this. So ideally 100% on the radio should move aileron and elevator (or elevons) by the recommended amount.