Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: FATSHARK - What is your angle of approach now that FAA bans goggles?

FATSHARK - What is your angle of approach now that FAA bans goggles?

Im curious how Fatshark is thinking about, dealing with, and feels about FAA saying a great big NO to goggles and FPV?

Official Interpretation of the Special Rule for Model Aircraft Public Inspection on the Federal Register:
    https://www.federalregister.gov/arti...model-aircraft

30 day public commenting period starts on 6/25/14, respectfully make your opinions known!
    Last edited by Dust; 24th June 2014 at 10:44 PM.
    Live Slow - Fly FAST!

FPV does NOT fly ASAP.

FAA regulating toys now, are they? No matter how small, no matter where they're flown. Yeah, that'll stand the test of the law.

Navigator

USA pilots: FAA has outlawed FPV flying today, we need your voice

If you haven't seen the FAA rule up for 30 day comments, please go to the top of the FPVLab (click on FPVlab up above in the header), Skybox, sUAS Legislation, and read the first posts in the thread "FAA Guidance June 23 2014." Or link here:
    http://fpvlab.com/forums/showthread....e-June-23-2014

The basic summary is that FAA has made it a citable offense starting TODAY to fly model aircraft using FPV/goggles, defining hobbyist flying as Line Of Sight with NO goggles. The new rules are open for public comments for 30 days. Read up the thread a bit, and Rusty has a link for electronically submitted comments (comment period starts tomorrow June 24). If there ever was a time to make yourself heard, it's now! (Well, tomorrow.)

Read the new rules, linked in the thread. Decide whether you agree or not (likely not, as they are not the reasonable restrictions that one might hope for; they essentially outlaw flying FPV as hobbyists). Keep comments sane, polite, and convincing. We are not the AMA, who apparently is ok with limiting all recreational model aircraft flying to Line Of Sight. We are safety-minded, and do not need prescriptive restrictions on our methods of flight. Or rather, restrictions on our seeing methods do not enhance safety! Any new rules should emphasize avoidance of full scale planes, and that's all they should do. IMO, obviously.

Ken

EDIT: Aw c'mon Mr. Moderator, I placed the post in the manufacturer's thread because I know there are folks there who don't read the legislation skybox. Oh well.
    Last edited by RC Obsessed; 24th June 2014 at 03:57 PM.

"How do you feel about FAA's latest crap?"

Totally expected. Knew it was coming 2 years ago, in fact decided to do FPV then so I could have the experience before this happened.

Became even more sure about it when someone poked the hornet's nest. And continued to poke it, ultimately embarrassing the hornet.

Anyone who did not expect this, lacks the intelligence needed to participate in the hobby.

Nowhere am I arguing right or wrong only things that were completely obvious as to outcome, to me.

hope the rain stops so I can bust out some FPV flights tonight

Quote Originally Posted by JohnVH View Post
    hope the rain stops so I can bust out some FPV flights tonight

haha! Police country!

THis post was put in FatShark's thread because I wanted to know how that company specifically was feeling about this.
    THere are plenty of threads talking about how "you/we" the community feels.We all knew this was coming, no sh*t. But the goggle thing is out of left field. I want to know what the main goggle supplier was going to do to change their marketing to skirt this BS like "water pipes" can be sold but "bongs" cannot.
    What is their intent? How are they going to deal with this.
    Goggles sold for TV and PC use? like watching movies? this is the line of "sellable" but goggles for FPV use, not sellable?

Everyone else can go continue this convo in more approiate threads. I do not know why it was moved here, this was posted in and directed to Fatshark.
    Last edited by Dust; 24th June 2014 at 05:16 PM.
    Live Slow - Fly FAST!

FPV does NOT fly ASAP.

Dude,
    fat shark is like everyone else, they only care about making a dollar. US market in decline? F that, go somewhere else. You think they are going to spend (much) money trying to fight the FAA? They may throw $5 at it, but anything more would be uber stupid.

TV wants to sell commercials, a story about someone flying an R/C plane is about as exciting as watching paint dry. Turn it into a spying drone story, and people flock to the story like flies to ... well you know. That is how you sell commercials time. THe all mighty buck doomed this aspect of the hobby from the start.

http://www.kirotv.com/news/news/woma...-window/ngRCd/

I think we need to repay the favour, show the RC community how we appreciate their support, and work to get ALL RC flying banned.

Navigator
    Quote Originally Posted by spiked3 View Post
    I think we need to repay the favour, show the RC community how we appreciate their support, and work to get ALL RC flying banned.
    Not a bad idea. If an entire industry was threatened, we might get a few lobbyists to fight the regulations. It'd be newsworthy, as would outlaw many children's toys, like air hogs, etc. It could help people see how stupid this whole thing is.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast