Page 11 of 168 FirstFirst ... 9101112132161111 ... LastLast

Thread: FAA Guidance, June 23, 2014

Quote Originally Posted by Dust View Post
    I just turned my youtube videos to "Unlisted" as a precautionalry first step..
    I would guess you are safe from previously posted videos....
    I am not uploading new....under my current user!

Quote Originally Posted by Dust View Post
    I just turned my youtube videos to "Unlisted" as a precautionalry first step..
    No need. You aren't subject to anything this press release says, and even if you were they can't prosecute you for something that pre-dates it. We should gear up for the upcoming fight, however, and youtube videos of Fun, Safe, and Awesome FPV should be passed around to everyone we can.

The AMA field I belong to has been letting members fly FPV and I'm pretty sure others do too. That said, this whole situation sucks and I hope it gets overturned quickly.

Quote Originally Posted by 2dogrc View Post
    Raise the Jolly Roger, I say!
    Requesting recruitment into the Rogue Squadron, scally wag class of 2014!

Totally agree!
    Write your congress man and comment tomorrow when the comment period opens:
    https://www.federalregister.gov/arti...model-aircraft

Recruitment accepted matey! Arrrrr

(I wanted to get that made into a flag but it's really expensive )

Can I use that as my avatar?

Analysis of the proposed document from a lawyer in a facebook group im in: "UAV Legal News & Discussion" ......really cool group only made for talking about drone laws.

It's been a long day, and I don't have it in me at the moment to address the "Interpretation of the Special Rule for Model Aircraft" [Docket No. FAA-2014-0396]
    So, I'll just comment on the Press Release for now. (http://www.faa.gov/news/press_releas...6474&cid=TW223)
    All of what the FAA regurgitated today was idiocy, and that's especially troublesome since it's a federal agency. Federal agencies should not lie. Regardless of the fact that what is happening right now concerns drones, we should all be equally if not more troubled by the fact that a federal agency is lying.
    The FAA Press Release, entitled, "FAA *Offers Guidance* to Model Aircraft Operators," is humorous. It suggests that it's being helpful and "offers to bestow "guidance" upon us. How kind.
    Then, in the first sentence of the second paragraph that offer of "guidance" suddenly become an authoritative set of "rules." ("Compliance with these rules for model aircraft operators has been required since the Act was signed on February 14, 2012") Then, in the very next sentence, the "rules" are termed "guidance" again. ("The FAA is issuing the notice to provide clear guidance to model operators")
    Then, despite the fact that there exists no current legal definition of "model aircraft," the FAA borrows statutory language form the FMRA's *prospective* provisions, which does have a very limited definition of "model aircraft." ("the FAA restates the law’s definition of “model aircraft,”) Moreover, that is not a *general* definition, but is in fact limited to be its definition solely for purposes of the Sec. 336.
    Lastly, it reads, "The law is clear that the FAA may take enforcement action against model aircraft operators who operate their aircraft in a manner that endangers the safety of the national airspace system." While this will be true, it's not true right now. The law referred to is the FMRA, which again is a *prospective* law. Until the FAA completes the tasks Congress assigned to it, those tasks are not enforceable laws.

Quote Originally Posted by BCSaltchucker View Post
    I bet there is a good chance all three will embrace 'freedom from drones' kind of rhetoric soon enough. So who you gonna vote for?

Hate to pop your cherry but all three are already anti-drone, the Dems don't like because of privacy problems, the Pubs don't like them because of business privacy problems and the Tea-Party doesn't like them because they are paranoid about any form or monitoring or surveillance.

Wayne
    Last edited by Channel 1; 24th June 2014 at 03:34 PM.
    Everybody loves a bunny.

Co-Pilot
    It was this very scenario that I imagined when I started developing my SAA system.

The one justification that the FAA (and other airspace administrators) have always touted as a reason for banning FPV is this lack of "situational awareness". Present the FAA's case with respect to SAA and situational awareness to a judge in a court of law and he'll side with the FAA every time -- after all, "lives are at stake".

I believe that until such time as we have an affordable, reliable, effective SAA system that can be used on our models to guarantee an adequate level of situational awareness (actually a level which is greater than that presently enjoyed by the pilot of your average GA aircraft), the FPV community will have a very hard job fighting the airspace administrators for the right to fly.

Now you can bet your bottom dollar that the airspace administrators will fight tooth and nail to keep FPVers out of the airspace, regardless of an effective SAA system but having such a system will make it very difficult for them to use their present excuses as justification for what looks effectively to be a total ban.

The fact that my development work has been very effectively scuttled by CAA (the NZ airspace administrator) for no stated reason other than "we don't want to set you up as competition for MFNZ (our version of the AMA)" seems awfully strange to me.

In my honest opinion -- this all has much more to do with protecting vested interests within the aviation community than it does in preserving the safety of the national airspace.

Unfortunately, I do not have the funds or the ability to relocate to a more "friendly" location to complete my work so I'm *really* pissed that petty politics and an unhealthy relationship between the so-called national model flying body here in NZ and the airspace administrator is effectively pulling the carpet out from under my feet on this project.

I'd be interested to hear what anyone here has to suggest or say. If we can demonstrate a system that provides 100% situational awareness then the FAA's argument is blown to hell and they'll have no choice but to allow FPV -- even BVLOS FPV.

Quote Originally Posted by 2dogrc View Post
    Can I use that as my avatar?

Feel free! I just cobbled it together from other clip art a couple of weeks ago.

Here's just the plain skull if you want to add your own slogans to it:
    Last edited by smoothvirus; 24th June 2014 at 03:35 PM.

Reckless Video Operator squishy's Avatar

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	droneRevolution.jpg 
Views:	346 
Size:	101.4 KB 
ID:	48105
    Last edited by squishy; 24th June 2014 at 03:41 PM.
    Flight Club - "In thrust we trust"

Page 11 of 168 FirstFirst ... 9101112132161111 ... LastLast