Page 1 of 27 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Ezuhf RX RSSI and Eagle Tree Vector

Navigator

Ezuhf RX RSSI and Eagle Tree Vector

Please see these instructions from Eagle Tree
    Quote Originally Posted by EAGLETREE View Post
    Guys, we wanted to get a better understanding for what's going on here, in hopes that we can improve upon things with respect to configuring RSSI/LQ (ok, and also as an excuse to get some more toys), so we ordered the equipment that seems to be most referred to in this thread:

1) Taranis ACCST + X8R Rx
    2) EzUHF JR module
    3) EzUHF 4 channel lite Rx

First, I'll go over the findings with the X8R link and RSSI, with the "analog" (actually PWM, but let's not go there) RSSI output of the X8R connected to the RSSI input of the Vector:
    1) Worked out of the box with no issues.
    2) Placing the Tx in a "faraday cage" (microwave oven in this case) and manipulating the X8R antennas from across the room, the link is lost when the RSSI % display on the Vector got below 5-10%, which is what one would expect
    3) As expected, the RSSI dB display on the Taranis Tx and the % signal being displayed on the Vector are not the same values and don't vary at the same rates, but do correlate.

So, nothing unexpected here.

Now, on to the main event, RSSI and LQ via PPM with the EZ link. Here are the steps we followed:

1) Watch the video here and follow these steps, if your Ez Rx and Tx firmware are not 1.50 or later:

Zacattack, can't thank you enough for posting this! And kudos to the video's author!

Our EZ components both came with the 1.50 firmware already installed, but we went through the process just the same.

2) Set up your receiver using EZ 1.40 or later tools as shown in this post here assuming you need 12 channels (the important things are highlighted in yellow- thanks, Dr. Patso):
    http://fpvlab.com/forums/showthread....l=1#post528665

3) Follow the Vector steps posted here:
    http://fpvlab.com/forums/showthread....l=1#post545641

Ok, herein lies the rub: at least a couple of people have had issues with channels 11 & 12 not showing up in the "Serial PPM/SBUS Channel Mapping" section in the RC Configuration tab of the Vector software after setting up ("---" indicator for those channels, instead of a percent). We had the same problem at first. :S

Note that this is NOT a Vector related problem. This is happening because the pulses for the RSSI and LQ are not being sent from the receiver to the Vector in the pulse train.

After some additional configuration, the problem was resolved. Here are the things we did:

a) Made sure that the PPM channel range in the Taranis is set to "CH1-12"
    b) Changed the PPM frame rate in the Taranis from 32ms (default) to 28ms
    c) Changed the EZ Transmitter and Receiver to use "Extreme Hopping" mode
    d) Did a rebind.

After following these steps, it started working, with channels 11 and 12 showing up in the pulse train. All or none of these steps may have been necessary. I suspect step c is not needed.

After the LQ and RSSI were configured, we did the following things to verify these were working:
    a) removed the EZ receiver antenna (shudder, YMMV, not responsible for loss, do at your own risk, warning, danger, lookout oh-boy!) and placed the transmitter in the microwave at low power (the transmitter at low power, not the microwave, c'mon!).
    b) from across the room, verified that the RSSI and LQ readings were 1%, and that link had been lost
    c) found a location for the transmitter where RSSI was low, but above 1%, and verified that the LQ reduced from 100% but stayed above 1%

The behavior in all cases is what would be expected for correctly functioning RSSI/LQ.

Ok, so to summarize, we've reached the following conclusions:

1) No issues were found in the Vector RSSI or LQ support, for either of these links
    2) Frustratingly, I'm not sure if there's anything ET can do to improve the setup process. We want to make things as easy as we can, but unless a valid signal reaches the Vector, it's not going to work. Open to suggestions though!

Hope this is helpful.
    Discuss powering the ezuhf rx as well

Until Eagle Tree comes out with an LRS. We need some good support for the other LRS RXs out there.. This is what I have so far. Hoping a dedicated thread will help this problem turn up on google for others. Searching a Thread after 75 people ask about ezuhf makes it hard to find the solution.

I'll post my own overview on a way to get this working once I do. I am using a quad copter.

Quote Originally Posted by HFMan View Post
    You're wiring it all wrong- I don't think the vector can accept Digital PPM via the PWM outputs on the receiver- it can only do it via PPM (but I could be wrong). I believe you're going to have to go PPM (why would you not?) Then, if you have set EZUhf to output digital RSSI on Channel 6, don't run anything to the RSSI port on the vector- your RSSI is coming in on the PPM stream on one of the RX channels. Then you go into the Vector PC software, RC Configuration tab. In the Serial PPM/S-Bus mapping section, set RSSI to Channel 6. You can also assign Link Quality to a different channel. Wa-la, done. Now run the RX Wizard and follow the instructions.

This is in the manual, although not exactly laid out in detail. It's a matter of understanding that your EZUHF is sending digital RSSI info out via PPM (but I guess there might be a way to configure EZUHF to do this via PWM- somebody's going to have to step in.)
    Quote Originally Posted by lowdonkey View Post
    I finally got the rssi from mum ezuhf working! I had a couple of things wrong. First on the first window of the irc tools setup for the rx I had ppm channels set to 8 which I believe is default. It would let me map rssi and link on the second page but wouldn't ever work with ppm set to 8 channels. Also for some weird reason with ppm channels set to 10 and rssi and link mapped to 9&10 it still wouldn't work. The vector software was still only seeing 8 channels in the ppm stream. I changed the channels in the irc software to 12 and moved rssi and link to 11&12 and bam! It works!
    Quote Originally Posted by ZACATTACK View Post
    Good News!! But no wire connection needed to RSSI input on The Vector ??
    Quote Originally Posted by lowdonkey View Post
    No the only wires connected to my rx are the sppm on ch1 and the white 5v terminal from the vector.... Works perfect
    Last edited by dr_patso; 24th September 2014 at 03:35 PM.

Navigator
    What is the "irc" software? Could I possibly get you to send me a screenshot of how you connected this? I've been sitting here for an entire day and finally got my quad to work properly but the frustration is killing me slowly.

Do I need to go into EzUhf tools & change anything to get rssi working with my vector AND do I attach a signal wire from my EZ UHF Rx to rssi on my vector!

Please help (total noob)

Navigator
    IRC software is this.

http://immersionrc.com/downloads.php...wnload_file=50

With that software you must Map data link and RSSI to two channels. It looks like one user could not get more than 8 channels to show up in the PPM stream on the Vector, setting up 12 channels, and assign RSSI and Data Link to channel 11&12, the vector was able to see the 11th and 12th channel for RSSI and data link.. No special wiring needed, the PPM stream is on one of the channels, not sure which one by default, might be able to set that in the IRC tools as well.. I'll fire up this software and my ezuhf rx soon.

Navigator
    Quote Originally Posted by dr_patso View Post
    IRC software is this.

http://immersionrc.com/downloads.php...wnload_file=50

With that software you must Map data link and RSSI to two channels. It looks like one user could not get more than 8 channels to show up in the PPM stream on the Vector, setting up 12 channels, and assign RSSI and Data Link to channel 11&12, the vector was able to see the 11th and 12th channel for RSSI and data link.. No special wiring needed, the PPM stream is on one of the channels, not sure which one by default, might be able to set that in the IRC tools as well.. I'll fire up this software and my ezuhf rx soon.

Yes sir, thank you for your attempts to help but this doesn't work, I have sat here for 3 hrs doing every possible scenario & nothing works...

I just can't get it. how it can work for some but not others, another funny thing is when these guys have their stuff up & working they are no where to be found lol (until they need help again) OF COURSE!

Navigator
    Ya there is a serious lack of how to's and super vague explanations. If you ever get it to work, or if I get it to work let's not be those guys.

I'm going to make fun of them now -- "I got ezuhf rssi to work with my vector! thanks everybody! All I had to do was create a gui interface with visual basic and track the IP address"

Navigator
    Ya there is a serious lack of how to's and super vague explanations. If you ever get it to work, or if I get it to work let's not be those guys.

I'm going to make fun of them now -- "I got ezuhf rssi to work with my vector! thanks everybody! All I had to do was create a gui interface with visual basic and track the IP address"
    I will make a personal "how to" video when I get it figured out..

Thank you for helping anyway

I'm having problems getting the RSSI values from my EZUHF down, working and displayed on the Vector.

I have the 8 channel EZUHF RX and it is set to 12 channel PPM. Channel 1 is PPM Muxed, while I've been trying to get channel 11 RSSI and Channel 12 LINK to correctly identify on the Vector.
    I've got good RSSI values in the EZUHF software and all my controller settings are correct in the Vector using PPM. I have just one cable going from Channel 1 on EZUHF RX to the ALI port on the Vector.

Any ideas here? I feel like I am just messing something easy because all 8 other channels work via PPM and that one cable. Just cant get RSSI data down the PPM channel.

Thanks, Grant

Navigator
    This is what I've done so far. Use IRC tools 1.39 to upgrade both TX and RX to version 1.50(6). After that's done, uninstall IRC tools 1.39 and install 1.40. Made the changes seen in screenshots below, powered off RX and TX closed and reopened IRC tools 1.40 and made sure the changes were reflecting when I chose "read settings"

At the moment the only way I have got it to work is via a cable from CH8 to Rssi input.
    Some of the post about it working I take with a pinch of salt, Lq has not worked yet for me.
    New Vector firmware is supposed to fix some issues with rssi.

Good stuff and thank you for your time. I've been working with those exact settings (minus the update to Immersion 1.40) for a couple days now with no joy.

I'm running both 1.50(6) in the Tx/Rx. All my settings are the same as yours and I've played around with the combo for a few hours again at this point with no joy.

One thing (value in the Vector) has changed since updating and then setting and verifying the settings to Ezuhf in Immersion 1.40. Before the Vector was showing a -1% value on both ch11(RSSI) and Ch12(Link). Now though, Ch11 RSSI is still showing that -1% but Ch11 LINK is now reading 79%. So that is something lol

My RSSI is still not functioning correctly in the Vector. It has got to be software related.

This is what I've done so far. Use IRC tools 1.39 to upgrade both TX and RX to version 1.50(6). After that's done, uninstall IRC tools 1.39 and install 1.40. Made the changes seen in screenshots below, powered off RX and TX closed and reopened IRC tools 1.40 and made sure the changes were reflecting when I chose "read settings"