Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Skylark Trace OSD - Nightrams comprehensive page

Navigator
    So under skylark forum, sticky thread called firmware?
    Now usb lead? The one I got with the trace osd is what your talking about, and will work?

Thanks Nightram.

Rolf

WB2UQJ
    Yes, Rolf, the usb to ftdi interface module came with mine. I loaded the newest firmware from the Skylark page when I 1st got mine. I don't remember the file size, but it's bigger then 30 or 40 bits for sure. 30 or 40Kb would seem correct.

The software for windows they supply is sketchy at best, I ran into several errors and warnings, none of which were relevant. Just keep trying and you'll find the combination that works eventually. I must say it's been a year or so since my install, and it doesn't look like things have improved any at Skylark. Too bad, they have an elegant little system which works well once you figure out the setup issues. It's pretty much a trial and error process though. I got mine working and calibrated, but still don't know for sure what the switches and flashing lights mean. It HAS been troublefree since I set it up, and has many hours on it. That said, if it were to fail, I'd probably just replace it with a well documented unit like the EZOSD - I put one in for a friend and it's a little pricy, but is simple and well documented.

I just started a new long range plane (based on the Crashtest Stormchaser) and opted for the Vector at over twice the price. In my opinion the 88 page instruction manual written by people with english as a 1st language easily justified the expense. I had hoped Skylark would pay Nightram to fix their documentation issues. If they had, I would probably have gone with another Skylark product.
    Time is money, and it took me nearly a week of evenings to get the Trace working. In addition, this new plane is a serious FPV machine and I just can't risk $2000+ worth of plane and camera gear on a product I got to work only with trial and error and through Nitrams kind help.

They have a saying here in the US (or did in my generation) - "Nobody ever got fired for buying IBM" which means reliablilty and support are more important than price.....

Good luck getting it sorted out, I'll keep a watch on your efforts and will help if I can. Nitram is by far the expert here though.
    Last edited by Scott594; 18th March 2015 at 10:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Fang View Post
    So under skylark forum, sticky thread called firmware?
    Now usb lead? The one I got with the trace osd is what your talking about, and will work?

Thanks Nightram.

Rolf
    In post #1 I link to the firmware also can be found on
    http://fpvlab.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3847

There are two USB adapters, a blue one (old) and black one (new). More than likely it was supplied with the Osd. The usb connects to the GPS port of the Trace Osd.

Try reflashing the firmware, let me know how it goes. If you can't get the new software to work I can probable find the old software. But I can confirm the new one works on x64 windows 8.1, even on a surface pro.

The OSD cannot connect with PC software?
    It should be the OSD hadn't update firmware completely, the MCU chip was locked.
    Skylark FPV Service Center
    http://www.skylarkfpv.com

Navigator
    Arr I think skylark might be right in this instance! Everthing seem to working,LED on trace osd board was flashing at regular intervals! I get no LED flashing since attempting to upload TRACE Osd 2.9 firmwear from skylark website!
    When I was uploading the firmware in bottom left of windows software, there was a window that showed data been loaded on to osd! It stopped at around item 40 loaded! So after about 3 minutes, there was no response on win software and LED on trace osd had stopped flashing and gone out! Since then theres been no life in osd and I have no on screen osd via video.
    Can skylark ket me know if there's away for user to "reset" "reboot" "unlock" the osd? Other than that, I'll send, just trace osd back to skylark for exchange for a replacement! (Please!)
    Rolf
    Last edited by Fang; 19th March 2015 at 04:51 AM. Reason: my auto correct spelling has issues! :)

Hi,

Did you buy it for Skylark Store?
    If yes, please tell me your order ID
    I can arrange to send a new OSD board to you.

If you order it from other dealers, please send the board to back to us.
    we can try to repair it for you.
    Skylark FPV Service Center
    http://www.skylarkfpv.com

Navigator
    Gday skylark! Yes I did buy from skylark store! Im about to send trace board back to you guys tomorrow (Friday 27th March) express post.

order number 2119. Rolf Hedt, Australia.

Will send email about my issues.

Regards Rolf

Quote Originally Posted by Fang View Post
    Gday skylark! Yes I did buy from skylark store! Im about to send trace board back to you guys tomorrow (Friday 27th March) express post.

order number 2119. Rolf Hedt, Australia.

Will send email about my issues.

Regards Rolf
    If your still having issues, let me know. Im in Adelaide.

Navigator
    nightram;739593]If your still having issues, let me know. Im in Adelaide.
    Gday Nightram, thanks but been sorted back in March April with new trace board and all working fine! Carn't get current draw real accurate, but it's still way better than guessing! And Ive got it set to indicate more usage by a few % than actually used. Can confaintly get up to 2km from home point with AR 8000 speky, with dsx11, and sat out on wing recessed into foam!

Current draw IMO is useless. It is the voltage that is important. Id be putting a Afro Mini on the plane if I flew that far...... Oh wait, I do.