Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Skylark Tiny OSD III - Nightrams comprehensive page

Skylark Tiny OSD III - Nightrams comprehensive page

Skylark have allowed me to assist with any setup and config issues, and I hope to be able to help everyone here!

Out of the box Skylarks famous Tiny OSD III comes in two flavors. Deans and XT60 style connectors. Users are not confined by these connects either. For installations inside a DJI phantom or inline on TBS Discovery the connectors can be easily removed with a 120W chisel tip soldering iron and refashioned to suit the user.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	9u6esepa.jpg 
Views:	1081 
Size:	235.4 KB 
ID:	47933

*** Note ***
    Please be aware that any modification to the components of the OSD will void any warranty provided by your retailer. The above modification was not endorsed by Skylark for warranty reasons.

Skylarks Tiny OSD provides advanced OSD functions in a compact and modular package. The OSD can be displayed one of two ways, Comprehensive or compact.

Product link:
    Deans connectors - http://www.skylarkfpv.com/store/inde...&product_id=42
    XT60 connectors - http://www.skylarkfpv.com/store/inde...&product_id=81

Nightram Tiny OSD III manual:
    I have rewritten the Skylark manual to help users with their product, it can be found below.
    Nightrams Skylark Tiny OSD III Manual

Firmware Update v2.9 August 13
    [Download here]
    New features:
    1. Fix the summary bug for multicopter, it the current greater than 3A, the summary will not display now.
    2. Fix the timer bug for multicopter

Features include:

• 10Hz super sense GPS, with backup battery ,3D Fix led indicator.
    • PAL/NTSC compatible
    • 80A current sensor.
    • Ultra-light weighing in at only 22.5 gram
    • RSSI Auto detect, either in analog or digital (PWM/PPM)
    • Return to home arrow so you never get lost!
    • Barometer for accurate height measurement.

The Heads Up Display of a fighter pilot
    Skylarks HUD is nicknamed the F-16 HUD. You might be able to see why!
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	f16 hud.jpg 
Views:	3332 
Size:	78.2 KB 
ID:	47948

*** Note ***

When the weather is better I will take a half decent pic showing the two OSD modes with firmware v2.9

So why is this such a great OSD?
    For starters the price is phenomenal! It is a fully functional OSD incorporating the most important information.

• Distance from home,
    • Direction to home,
    • Height,
    • GPS co-ordinates (for recovery worst case scenario),
    • Powered by receiver,
    • RSSI (Receiver Signal Strength Indicator, aka control strength),
    • Voltage, and
    • Miliampere hours used (use as a indication only, Nightram tip post 2).

If you already have a video setup on your craft all you need is a spare channel to power the OSD and you can overlay the OSD on your existing video. This spare channel will also give you RSSI.

In the Skylark store it costs a mere $108 USD. Competitors who will not be named have been releasing similar products for a while, but in my opinion the Skylark option is just simply better. Not just for my pocket.

Pro/Con/Improvements
    In the interest of fair review and information here are the pros and cons in my opinion.

Pros:

• Affordable, cost is just $108 USD from skylark,
    • Great OSD Layout with lots of information,
    • Option for compact OSD view, and
    • Current sensor can be remotely placed and connectors can be removed.

Cons:

• All items are shrink wrapped which cheapens the look.
    • Items are shrink wrapped with no "flat" surface, this makes adhesive tape hard to apply to a flat surface,
    • Long interconnecting cables with molex connectors. They are too long for me! I need to double them over 3 times and shrink wrap them to fit them on my craft.

Improvements I would like to see:

• Options for shorter cables when buying, I already know where i want to fit them. In some cases it is not half a meter away!
    • OSD options to hide or move readouts individually.
    • Plastic hard case for OSD and GPS would be nice.
    Last edited by Nightram; 15th July 2014 at 05:07 PM.

Skylark Tiny OSD III - Nightrams comprehensive page

Frequently asked questions:

Skylarks manual is pretty ordinary, how do I calibrate it?
    Believe it or not, Skylark made it rather simple to calibrate. Just look at the manual I rewrote and all your questions should be answered.
    Nightrams Skylark Tiny OSD III manual

The USB connector is not recognized in Windows 8 or 8.1, how can I get it to work?
    You will need to use a older version of the driver. The current version does not work, however if you use a Prolific USB to Serial driver dater 9/24/2008 version 3.3.2.102 it will work with administrator rights. You can look for it yourself independently, or get it from my drive below.
    Prolific driver 3.3.2.102

When I calibrate I am not getting any readings, whats going on?
    Sometimes the simplest answer is the thing we need. The GPS and current sensor plugs look the same, ensure you have the USB connected to the GPS port and the current sensor to the current sensor port.

During calibration I am getting error 1pCurCal, what does it mean?
    There are a couple of answers of what it could be.

• Ensure the scale is set appropriately as per Nightrams manual,
    • Ensure you have all cables connected correctly, and
    • Reset the OSD via the reset button and removing power.

If the fault still exists attempt to re-flash firmware. After all of these options have been exhausted I am afraid it is out of my knowledge and you will need to contact Skylark on sales@skylarkfpv.com.

You mentioned in "Post #1" not trust the mah, and to only use it as a indication. Why?
    You may or not be aware LiPos have certain limitations. With age LiPos will gradually be less effective at holding voltage. This is simply due to the chemical reactions within the cell. After a time a battery may not hold a voltage level as it once did. In the world of multirotors, motors are rated on kv per volt. So voltage is what gives you your lift. A LiPo should theoretically never be used beyond 80% of its capacity, sure you may be able to do this however it will be detrimental. So a 1000mah battery is theoretically good for 800mah really. Use the mah as a guide, however when you see that voltage drop to below what you need. Well you should of already landed, or its gonna land for you!

I am not getting a accurate enough cal, is there a better way?
    If you put the props on in reverse (so they blow up not down) during calibration you will have a greater variance in amp and voltage loading. As the craft is pushing down, you do not require to secure it. This requires props so be careful.

If you have any questions relating to the Tiny OSD III please post them here and I will do my best to help you!
    Last edited by Nightram; 1st July 2014 at 11:04 AM.

Great write up mate - thanks for the resource

Your link for firmware update doesn't seem to work though
    Last edited by greedyg76; 30th June 2014 at 11:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by greedyg76 View Post
    Your link for firmware update doesn't seem to work though
    Thanks, fixed.

Navigator
    Cant open the manual nightram
    But for now good work man

Quote Originally Posted by wippo76 View Post
    Cant open the manual
    But for now good work man
    Fixed I think

Navigator
    Can you please hassle Skylark to either; Turn off F16 mode vertical bars, or add GPS to the simple screen? Lots of requests for this in other forums, and no reply from the manufacturer.

Quote Originally Posted by joeb View Post
    Can you please hassle Skylark to either; Turn off F16 mode vertical bars, or add GPS to the simple screen? Lots of requests for this in other forums, and no reply from the manufacturer.
    I would but I have no sway with them. Hence why I am stopping the upkeep of these threads.

Anybody using a FrSky D8R-XP receiver with this OSD? Ive tried everything I can think of and cant get RSSI to display properly. I know Rcvr is jumpered and configured correctly because Im also using CPPM for my FC. I'm wired per the OSD manual. Ive tried digital and analog OSD settings. During OSD configuration, when I turn off my TX I see an OSD change, but when I disconnect everything and power back up I get nothing (ZERO). Turn TX off again (still ZERO). Anybody have any ideas? Thanks

Navigator
    What kind of signal do you feed the osd
    It understands only pwm or analog
    No ppm