Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: First Multi, Help me decide which FC to use

Forum Member

First Multi, Help me decide which FC to use

So I have been flying FPV planes for awile. I have A Juggernaut and a Flinch as well as a scratch built twin boom sky hunter-esk plane. I love to fly these thing but I have been wanting to get into multi rotors and recently a friend who flys multi rotors gave me a few sets of motor/esc it is time to give it a try. I really like proximity flying with planes and the mini multi rotors seem to take proximity flying to a new level so that is what I think I am going to get into. I have decided on this mini try
    http://www.focalrc.com/hj-y3-carbon-...me-p21142.html
    because it will accommodate the motors/esc's that I currently have and is a mini multi that should be good at proximity. My main question is about the Flight Controller. I am looking for a flight controller that is easy to setup and is eather easy to tune or does not need much tuning. What I am not looking for is gps/altitude/hold and so on (NO NAZA!)
    the main FC's that I have been looking at are the
    KK2 (easy to tune but needs more tuning)
    Naze32 (Needs less tuning but seems a bit harder to setup)
    Flip 1.5 (comes pre setup and may not need tuning)
    and your job is to help me decide which one to go with.
    these are the three that I have come up with but I am sure there are other great options. One last thing is that I only have a Mac so if the FC does need to be configured/tuned by a computer it would b great if it had an interface that works with Mac's.

If you have a suggestion of which of these flight controllers would be best for me or have another FC to suggest please let me know. Thanks
    [SIZE=3][COLOR=#9932cc][FONT=Courier New]If you didn't build it, don't fly it!!!![/FONT][/COLOR][/SIZE]
    also

My Stuff : [url]https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC9FobHoDnBoDaKsp9U5qyjg/feed?view_as=subscriber[/url]

Forum Member
    Naze32. Very responsive, and not as difficult to set up as they once were. Use the Baseflight Configurator app in the Chrome browser to set it up and it's pretty easy to tune to give great results.

My only concern is with the frame. Proximity flying means the occasional crash and I'm not sure how well a tricopter would fare with repeated abuse to the tail. Sounds like a recipe for either breakage or frequent servo replacement. I'd pick up another motor/ESC and build a mini quad. Much more durable in a crash. I have quads and a tri, and the tri is still awaiting repair from its last crash...just lost the ambition as the tail has always been problematic. By comparison, my quads have been more durable, and comparatively maintenance-free.

Forum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Invid View Post
    Naze32. Very responsive, and not as difficult to set up as they once were. Use the Baseflight Configurator app in the Chrome browser to set it up and it's pretty easy to tune to give great results.

My only concern is with the frame. Proximity flying means the occasional crash and I'm not sure how well a tricopter would fare with repeated abuse to the tail. Sounds like a recipe for either breakage or frequent servo replacement. I'd pick up another motor/ESC and build a mini quad. Much more durable in a crash. I have quads and a tri, and the tri is still awaiting repair from its last crash...just lost the ambition as the tail has always been problematic. By comparison, my quads have been more durable, and comparatively maintenance-free.
    thanks for the suggestion
    the main reason that I want to get the try is because the motors I have are around 900kv and can swing 9 or 10 inch props so there is no way that they would work on any of the mini quads that I have seen but because of the way this try is setup it can accommodate up to 10 inch props.
    [SIZE=3][COLOR=#9932cc][FONT=Courier New]If you didn't build it, don't fly it!!!![/FONT][/COLOR][/SIZE]
    also

My Stuff : [url]https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC9FobHoDnBoDaKsp9U5qyjg/feed?view_as=subscriber[/url]

Forum Member
    KK2, Naze or Openpilot Revo. Over here mini-h's, naze and proximity seems to be all the craze ATM. We're experimenting with slight variations on frame designs over the traditional wood/plywood/ziptie construction.
    RC newbie since 7/2013 - LoS acro - FPV - multirotors

Forum Member
    Maybe you can get some ideas from this thread: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2165497 ,

You can found many nice guy on there.

Good luck.

Forum Member
    I don't do multirotors (yet?). But, if I did, I would do a tri, and use this airframe: http://www.fortisairframes.com/

It looks like it was designed to be broken and easily and cheaply rebuilt.

As far as flight controllers, I would pick the one whose setup and documentation fit me the best - they'll all do the job. For me, this would probably mean APM. For you? Dunno.

Forum Member
    I'm holding out for the Eagle Tree Vector system. Seems they have crammed in loads of features. Does fixed and rotor wings. Means I can throw away (sell) NAZA / GPS / Elogger / OSD. It has it all.

Forum Member
    If you want a funfly and proximity multi, the Naze32 should be your only option. Everything you need and nothing you don't for $25.
    -Chris
    www.youtube.com/user/criccio

[QUOTE=Zeeflyboy;562833]If it all ends badly this time, I'm quitting FPV and RC and taking up golf.[/QUOTE]

Forum Member
    Thanks everybody for the suggestions. I think i will probably go withe naze32. Just out of curiousity what are the advantages of a naze32 over a kk2
    also

Forum Member
    Super smooth locked in flight, constant development, lots of users here, price and compatibility with KVOSD boards.
    -Chris
    www.youtube.com/user/criccio

[QUOTE=Zeeflyboy;562833]If it all ends badly this time, I'm quitting FPV and RC and taking up golf.[/QUOTE]

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast