FPVLAB

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: How to FPV a hot liner

How to FPV a hot liner

Not entirely true. Effect is as described - almost, but it is the inner part of the wing that is stalled, while the outer part still "flies" due to the reduced relative AoA caused by the raised ailerons. As control authority follows the same law as momentum (force*arm), the pilot will still have control even if the inner section of the wing is stalled.
    Last edited by arcteryxxx; 26th June 2014 at 01:15 PM.
    Using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by arcteryxxx View Post
    Not entirely true. Effect is as described - almost, but it is the inner part of the wing that is stalled, while the outer part still "flies" due to the reduced relative AoA caused by the raised ailerons. As control authority follows the same law as momentum (force*arm), the pilot will still have control even if the inner section of the wing is stalled.
    What I don't understand is that if flaps are designed to increase the drag of your aircraft by increasing your coefficient of lift. Then i don't know why this wouldn't be used. It seems like the best scenario you now have a slower moving aircraft that has higher lift at those slower speeds. From what I understand spoilers just make your plan sink, which doesn't sounds fun at all.

Any clarification is much appreciated.
    sum ting wong
    WI to low
    BANG DING OW -chatch

Sounds like a typical RcLab1 maiden flight to me -ssassen

Whatever. This forum sucks. -SENTRY

How to FPV a hot liner

Flaps increases the lift and produces drag. Spoilerons decreases lift and produces drag.
    Deflecting the control surfaces changes the relative AoA. increasing AoA (flaps deployed) is good for lift until it exceeds a certain value (typically 15 deg between the cord line and the relative wind, NOT pitch attitude) then instead of increasing lift, it suddenly destroys it. Decreasing AoA has the opposite effect, and will not stall until the fwd speed relative to the air is very low. Both up and down deflection increases drag (about the same effect) but the stall characteristics are opposite.
    Still in doubt? Just trust me....

Example: my old Hawk F5B landing with spoilerons (ffwd to 5:40)
    http://youtu.be/rM9nVNB3KjA
    Last edited by arcteryxxx; 26th June 2014 at 04:29 PM.
    Using Tapatalk

What setup motor wise do you have on that thing? Also is it OK to hit full throttle on dives with this thing? How do I get them to go fast lol.
    sum ting wong
    WI to low
    BANG DING OW -chatch

Sounds like a typical RcLab1 maiden flight to me -ssassen

Whatever. This forum sucks. -SENTRY

Quote Originally Posted by Hockeystud87 View Post
    What setup motor wise do you have on that thing? Also is it OK to hit full throttle on dives with this thing? How do I get them to go fast lol.
    Throttle on in level flight is ok, in a dive you should be very careful!

The setup is one I designed around a really cheap motor. Read more about it here: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...&postcount=151
    Works like a charm and gives you 2.5-2.8 kW of power
    Using Tapatalk

Don't know how I missed this! My nike is a warmliner though I have it rigged for efficiency more than hotliner antics. It happily goes 170kph in a dive...I'm propped such that throttle acts as brakes at that speed. I mounted 25mm camera on a very short wooden post epoxied right at the root of the wing over the fuselage and made it aerodynamic with foam tear drop. Drag will not break it or bend it. My plane is a T tail with no rudder so I never noticed any turbulence...but I wasn't looking.

I setup my ailerons as spoiler-flaps-erons meaning I could move them up OR down about 20 degrees so I could see for my self how things worked...and managing speed for inverted "proximity" as well as camber control. It seemed to work pretty well all things considered. It was tricky to get the programming right ... and now it is no longer right after a repair...so I just fly the darn thing with ailerons. Spoilers up on landing is a good thing as there is no load on the servos when you land.
    KF7SKL,TechPod/Walrus/250mmQuad/HoneyBadger, EZUHF,SL-AAT, 1G3/2G4/5G8

I tried programming the spoilerons into my BFG 1600, but I just couldn't get it to work correctly on both sides. I'm not sure if its the el-cheapo OrangeRx Tx I'm using or something I'm just not doing correctly when I try to set it up. Either way, the BFG is dead now ( thanks to my brother...) but I'll be buying another sailplane sometime in the near future and I'd really like to know how to get this accomplished. Crow too, if I have separate flaps on whatever I get. I really should find a better radio though, if I'm going to be flying anything valuable. Maybe the new FrSky?
    "Pretending to know everything closes doors to finding out what's really there..." ~ Neil deGrasse Tyson
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    [TBS Discovery, E-Flite UMX Radian, Airfield P-51 (confiscated from destructive brother), Syma X-1, ZMR 250 Carbon w/CC3D, Lanyu ASW-28 ( Flying work in progress - FPV Brain powered soon! ]

I programmed it on my Aurora9 and it was pretty easy in conjunction with ezuhf.

The trick that made things work pretty nicely for me was to get up high, go full flaps and trim roll and then set the failsafe in the air to that trimmed state. Then I landed and measured those throws with a ruler and programmed the radio to go that far at full extension. Then I repeated that with spoilers and failsafe for full up extension. This gave a fairly hands off trim in both full flaps and full spoilers...after that it was just cranking the expo up on the ailerons...my nike is twitchy.
    KF7SKL,TechPod/Walrus/250mmQuad/HoneyBadger, EZUHF,SL-AAT, 1G3/2G4/5G8

Looking through the prop is kind of a bummer. 5 gram pico cams cost $28 at hobbyking now. What do you guys think about having the motor up front but the pico camera in the middle of the prop like have the camera mounted in the middle of a bearing like this guy is doing.
    Last edited by parajared; 17th December 2014 at 03:44 PM.

Pilot
    Quote Originally Posted by arcteryxxx View Post
    Slightly off topic but since you asked:
    http://youtu.be/q4G6HHqFjEQ
    Holy Shnikes, that is wild! Never saw that sort of thing before.
    Flying through the cash.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast