FPVLAB

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: How to FPV a hot liner

How to FPV a hot liner

So I was looking at this hotliner right in front of me with a 65in wingspan. It looks pretty damn sleek, I just have no idea how you securely attach a camera too the thing so you can fpv it. Plus how do you keep it smooth and sleek with all the antennas?
    sum ting wong
    WI to low
    BANG DING OW -chatch

Sounds like a typical RcLab1 maiden flight to me -ssassen

Whatever. This forum sucks. -SENTRY

Reckless Video Operator squishy's Avatar
    You don't. FPV is not conducive to a hotliner without innovation and expert building techniques, most likely involving fiberglass...and even then you will be adding a lot of drag, so much so it's impractical and won't really be a hotliner anymore...

If I were you, I would take my negative party pooper reply and use it as a challenge. There's lots of FPV gliding, but not so much with novel planes like a hot liner, give it a try and tell us what you learn..
    Flight Club - "In thrust we trust"

Use a 25mm or smaller flight cam, no P/T, No HD cam, No 1.3 vid, and maybe LP instead of CP antennas, and clean construction, and I bet you can keep the performance impact to a minimum. I had a Phoenix 2000 that could still thermal, so I bet you can make something fun

Brooks, N7BLD

i have a really big, really fast energetic electric at 96" ive been playing with.
    i mounted everything to a plate & bolt it to the bottom of the fuse. (epoxied plywood inside the fuse, drilled it out & epoxied blind mount nuts to that). once my little sled was done i streamlined everything as much as possible with home made sugru (cause sugru is to expensive). basically a tube of silicon mixed with corn starch. make sure you dont burn a vtx up from overheating (or some cameras!)
    for wiring i used enameled magnet wire.
    i come in slow with crow & hand catch. (make sure you setup flight modes without ANY throttle so you dont accidentally kill yourself). mines on the bottom because ive always thought the FPV through the props & having the thing blocked sucked. ill post some videos this summer if I can get some time off work! I'm working on getting a pico cam or few around my plane so i can swap around.

be careful with real high performance sailplanes & hotliners with FPV. many of them will snap in stalls. be careful on your F5D sized hotliners too. those are tiny amounts of wing area you're wanting to lug FPVness around.
    Last edited by Toysrme; 19th June 2014 at 07:13 PM.

its not a matter of gliding & thermaling. its a matter of physical strength. trust me and my 10 cell energetic. these things are 200mph+ planes LOS and much more FPV. 220+
    your stuff will easily get ripped off & you have to be careful putting things infront of surfaces like the tail. you dont want turbulence (especially during the short bursts of prop) to cause flutter & insta-destroy the plane (which for these they become missiles).

hotliners also worry about powertrain components.
    you cant run low cell counts and aggressive performance props. low cell counts cause far too much current (heat) in the esc/motor/batt. high cell counts means best efficiency for both heat & duration, BUT you MUST understand that HV ESC's are NOT meant to be throttled. You can't go using partial throttle on high cell count setups lest youll burn the ESC up. (assuming you have a typical aggressive prop.

for instance my Energetic electo turns a 19x23" cf prop, nue 1512/6.7/1, castle 160HV on 10 cells.
    RC gear is a 1500ma nimh pack and MUST be by itself. BEC/UBEC/SBEC cant be trusted to the current draws at these flight loads.
    fpv needs to be on its own small batt also (3s700ma here)

Maybe saying hotliner was incorrect. It's more of a warmliner. It's sleek and sexy looking just about 63in wing span. The thing has some seriously ridiculous pull tho like. WOW! I was getting 75A at one point.

I just want to be able to throw a damn camera on this thing and go 100+ over the ground. Like where would the GPS, cameras and antennas go? I'm no so much worried about doing the whole "hotliner" type flight. As I am interested in being able to hit a thermal, then gun it to 100+mph. It also has gears in the front that I believe are 6.7:1 which I am not familiar with or what the purpose of them is.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photo (3).jpg 
Views:	290 
Size:	255.2 KB 
ID:	47828
    Last edited by Hockeystud87; 20th June 2014 at 02:16 AM.
    sum ting wong
    WI to low
    BANG DING OW -chatch

6.7:1 is the gearbox ratio. You use them so that you can run massive prop loads and still fit a motor in the nose.

Enigma F5B. Definitely a hotliner if it has any motor at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Toysrme View Post
    6.7:1 is the gearbox ratio. You use them so that you can run massive prop loads and still fit a motor in the nose.

Enigma F5B. Definitely a hotliner if it has any motor at all.

Toysrme the plane in my picture is a enigma F5B? I honestly grabbed it from work and I'm gonna run some testing on it but I have no idea the type of plane or anything. I don't even know the motor. I think it has a Phoenix ICE 100A ESC and that's about all I know.

Also online for the Enigma it states a 71" wingspan. Think the ones on there now are 65". Are the wings interchangeable?

Thanks for all the help guys especially Toysrme.
    Last edited by Hockeystud87; 20th June 2014 at 11:22 AM.
    sum ting wong
    WI to low
    BANG DING OW -chatch

Engineer for Jesus Christ IBCrazy's Avatar
    Use a pico camera from Ready Made RC on this plane to keep the profile small. Also might be good to look at linear antennas for this. I run linear on my warmliner.

-Alex
    If it is broken, fix it. if it isn't broken, I'll soon fix that.

videoaerialsystems.com - Performance video piloting

ya i was confused. had the same color scheme as an enigma.
    im not sure what it is then. maybe a flash II with alternative livery? IDK.

what prop / motor / gearbox does it have & what cell count are you using?

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast