Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Let's start a new era in multirotor long range FPV! Preparing for 40/80km flight!

Navigator
    Any damage during that 'soft' landing?

Navigator
    No, no damage at all. It was soft like a fluff

Co-Pilot
    Congrats, looks like the perfect location for long range flying.

So if this is 17km with a disco frame, why aren't we seeing more long range copters?

Navigator
    No, it wasn't a disco frame. Actually this is a full-carbon lightweight frame, monocoque like, very streamlined and nice

Here is the picture: (without a cover)

http://forum.rcdesign.ru/attachment....9&d=1397338906

P.S: BTW here is the flytrex track of my flight: http://www.flytrex.com/mission/quadc...ander-b-38005/ although it states the max distance was only 16.3km... obviously it took into consideration my "early" landing
    Last edited by cold_dog; 11th June 2014 at 07:24 PM.

ok, first things first ... congrats on that flight! very well done

but now I need to let off some "steam" ... you say that the DISCO has serious limitations for long range?? if you check the flytrex log, virtually all positions up to #5 behind you are DISCOs. also, judging from your video, it's YOUR platform that has serious limitations. Your LQ orbits around 70% while only 15km out and your video quality is degrading. On top of that, the flight performance is not that great ... many jolts and shakes indicating that you're indeed flying at the limitation in terms of performance. In fact, that's where the DISCO really shines. There is absolutely no problem to strap 16-18'000mAh 6S to a DISCO if you don't limit yourself to the inside of the frame only. Last but not least, you used 22'000mAh 4S for 16.3km and return. Extrapolating this to 6S, that's (22'000 * (4/6)) ~= 14'600mAh. My TBS DISCO flew 12km and return on 7500mAh 6S. That's around half of your battery consumption for only ~27% less range. so ... the day someone straps your amount of battery to his DISCO is the day someone will beat your record. The weight difference of your frame is mitigated by the amount of wiring you add, and the amount of drag your monocoque creates, and the severe RF problems of flat carbon surfaces. Sorry for this reality-check, but I just can't let the statement that the DISCOVERY has limitations for long range stand.

If you'd like to compare, we broke 4'000m AGL with a similar setup that made 12km and back. We can lift an additional 2kg of payload (or batteries). We can fly 12km with a LQ never going below 90% on a JR module (less mW). We can use the same quad and do flips and fly proximity-style. Let's see you do that with yours, and then we'll continue a debate about the limitations of the DISCOVERY
    Last edited by Trappy; 12th June 2014 at 03:36 AM.

Navigator
    Hehe, come on, hurt me, baby))) There is no "steam" at all in everything what I say and do. When saying that Disco has serious limitations for long range I meant "for me", "for my purposes". If someone else feels that he can fly some extreme (for a multi rotor) long range with his Disco, okay, don't listen to anyone, just go and fly.

Regarding the LQ and video quality. The LQ is not that great due to the quantity of radio towers in the area where I was flying. The onboard noises of my quad are measured to be about -100 dbm, so it obviously is not the reason. Then I have to mention, that I was flying on Low power setting of EzUHF, and the power of 1.3 ghz VTX was only 400mw and the VRX was connected to a patch with a mediocre gain of 8 db. And last, but not least... it's easy to take-off from a mountain and fly down the valley, as you do But have you ever tried to start literally from a spot surrounded by dense woods without a clear view of the horizon? If so we need some proof

Next, regarding your calculations... When charging I was able to put back into the battery 19800 mah. It's full capacity is 20400 mah, so this looks reasonable. So 19800 * 4/6 = 13200 mah. 13200 / (17+16.3) = 396 mah/km. The result of your Disco is 312 mah/km. For the same distance your Disco would consume 10390 mah from a 6S battery, or 15 585 mah from a 4s which is not half of capacity next, my quad was carrying a go pro with its mount, which is 150 gram of additional weight. I doubt you were carrying it too when you was flying for 12km with your Disco. If not, we want a video of that flight next, I was flying without a top cover of my frame due to +32 celsius outside, so to all said above add enormous drag (you have seen the picture of my quad, right?) and so forth, and so on... In any case all this is a pointless discussion. I don't know were you flying in a calm weather or with wind. My conditions wasn't so ideal. When returning back home I was flying against the wind... that's why the average speed is so low. Without the wind I could fly even farther, even with this NOT IDEAL battery.

That flight was just an intermediate result, I never said that this is all I can, heheh I shared it because I was thinking it could be interesting for a community.

And BTW I never said that my quad is a piece of top quality engineering, but obviously neither the Disco is a top of it. Both are made of components widely available on the market. Nothing unusual. The Disco has serious limitations for long range mainly because it has limited space for putting really BIG batteries. Just show me someone who strapped a good 22Ah battery to a poor sheep

In any case time will tell who is right and who is wrong)) stop talking and go flying As to me, I will take a break for a month... going to relax in turquoise Sardinian waters. But when I'll come back by the end of July, ti faccio vedere i sorci verdi as the Italians say
    Last edited by cold_dog; 12th June 2014 at 05:36 PM.

I flew my 12km in crosswind ... in any case, I will enjoy beating your record with a frame that has serious limitations for long range

Navigator
    Quote Originally Posted by Trappy View Post
    I flew my 12km in crosswind ... in any case, I will enjoy beating your record with a frame that has serious limitations for long range
    Bring it on! For me it's always a pleasure to compete with serious competitors

P.S: when trying to take me out of the first place, don't forget to strap a gopro to your Disco We would like to share your joy with you! And please provide a ground station recording so we can speculate about the LQ and video quality that you get
    Last edited by cold_dog; 12th June 2014 at 07:31 AM.

Navigator
    Any reason for not using GEB cells? Couldn't stay under 1C?

What size props are you using with those 3110 470kv motors?

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast